R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 AM
GiantMINI
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Yes, I have comfort access, and like I said, I frequently detach the emergency key inside the fob and leave that mechanical key and my other keys inside the hidden compartment when I go to umpire games.

Is the spare fob (your second vehicle key) inside the backpack left in the trunk? If you have either fob inside the vehicle, the car will not lock. Basically, it's made so that you can't lock your keys in the vehicle.
Not sure how else to say it but the keyfob was outside the car and the emergency key was inside the car and it wouldn't let her close the trunk, so it led us to believe that the keyfob had to have the emergency key in it on the chance that it could run out of batteries and you would need it. But you seem to be able to lock the car with the emergency key inside?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GiantMINI
But you seem to be able to lock the car with the emergency key inside?
I think we're basically on the same page. If I'm understanding you correctly, the only part of the key that your girlfriend left inside the car was the metal mechanical key that only works to unlock the driver's door.

If that is the case, I can't answer why she wasn't able to lock the car. As long as the electronic portion of the fob is outside the car, the trunk should close and lock.

The only time I've heard of it not working was when someone had the second, spare fob inside a suitcase or bag also stored inside the car at the same time the other key was being used.

Have you tried locking the car doors? They should also lock with just the metal mechanical key inside the car.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
KTrout
1st Gear
I think I have a new one here. :-)

Yes, we all know that locking the doors locks the gas cap now... Or do we?

Locking the doors from inside the car, via the inside switch, does not lock the gas cap. ONLY locking the car with the FOB locks the gas cap.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KTrout
Locking the doors from inside the car, via the inside switch, does not lock the gas cap. ONLY locking the car with the FOB locks the gas cap.
That's been one of my concerns, people sneaking up to my car when I'm stopped at a light and siphoning out my petrol.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=Sowellman;2213233]IIf that is the case, I can't answer why she wasn't able to lock the car. As long as the electronic portion of the fob is outside the car, the trunk should close and lock.quote]

Just to add my little $.02...I think the "valet key" still has an electronic chip in it -- so it can definitely be used as an emergency key. The only argument to this --and I haven't tried it myself -- is how can you lock your full key (fob and valet key) in the car if it applies the same way? Hmmm....

Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 AM
KTrout
1st Gear
That's been one of my concerns, people sneaking up to my car when I'm stopped at a light and siphoning out my petrol.
Now don't be daft, I'm not worried about the theft of gas (even if it is the good stuff.) It's the potential for a MINI Molotov cocktail I'm concerned about. ;-)

Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 AM
dgrosch
2nd Gear

That's a good one! I didn't know that, I think you did find a new one.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear

I think you have a problem, because locking the doors from the inside does lock my gas cap. I have comfort access, but I don't know if that makes a difference. My doors are set to lock automatically, too, so that may make a difference.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
I think the "valet key" still has an electronic chip in it -- so it can definitely be used as an emergency key.
That's just not true. Go out and separate your fob and then push your start button. A warning tone will sound and a "no key" icon will come up on the dash.

The mechanical key will only unlock and lock the driver's door and the gas door. That's it.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Morris08
1st Gear
More on this topic of trying to lock your keys in your car with comfort access...

One of my very few complaints about the car is that I have to use some force to close the boot. I had my key in my backpack, put the backpack in the boot without first unlocking the car and shut the hatch. Only I didn't use enough force so the boot wasn't completely latched. The lights flashed but the hatch did not pop open because it wasn't completely latched!!! I had quite the panic moment there. I really had locked my keys in the car!

I ended up latching the boot by throwing my body against it. As soon as I got the boot hatched the door popped open.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:47 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
That's just not true. Go out and separate your fob and then push your start button. A warning tone will sound and a "no key" icon will come up on the dash.

The mechanical key will only unlock and lock the driver's door and the gas door. That's it.

Sorry -- I submitted an incomplete thought. I meant an emergency get-in-the-car key, not an emergency startup key.

Last edited by x uh oh x; 05-11-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked the price lately? MINIs were designed for the east side of the Pond, after all. We're there now on vacation, and I do NOT want to know how much it's going to cost for a fill up. We will probably spend as much on gas for this trip as our mortgage payment! (Only partly joking)

Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Today is the first time ever that I hit $50 for a single fill-up.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 AM
elleff
Neutral
Originally Posted by Morris08
More on this topic of trying to lock your keys in your car with comfort access...

One of my very few complaints about the car is that I have to use some force to close the boot. I had my key in my backpack, put the backpack in the boot without first unlocking the car and shut the hatch. Only I didn't use enough force so the boot wasn't completely latched. The lights flashed but the hatch did not pop open because it wasn't completely latched!!! I had quite the panic moment there. I really had locked my keys in the car!

I ended up latching the boot by throwing my body against it. As soon as I got the boot hatched the door popped open.
That's an interesting point, we've had problems with not using enough force to close the boot and it tells you when you start driving.

Tonight I had to get a friend to drive me out to my wife's work with the spare key because the boot would not pop open after she put her bag (with key inside) in the boot... I previously tested the feature after it worked once for my wife unexpectedly but I could not get it to work... I thought the feature had stopped working since it would not work for me when I tested it, or for my wife tonight. Will have to test this out again to see if we're just not closing the boot properly when I get a chance!

Bit worried though cos I don't remember any lights flashing. I wonder if it's possible to enable/disable the feature.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
At first, my boot would not close completely unless I really slam it. But since I turned the rubber stops down, the boot closes completely every time.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
elleff
Neutral
Originally Posted by rippymcs
At first, my boot would not close completely unless I really slam it. But since I turned the rubber stops down, the boot closes completely every time.
What do you mean by "turned the rubber stops down"?

Over US$50 to fill up the car... HA! Here in Australia my last fill was about US$70... which these days is about AU$70

Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Today is the first time ever that I hit $50 for a single fill-up.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life...

Old 05-13-2008, 01:06 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by elleff
What do you mean by "turned the rubber stops down"?
There are two black rubber stops on either side of the boot lid (along the edges). They're the screw-in type so if you turn them clockwise, they'll be shorter thus making it easier to close the boot.

Last edited by rippymcs; 05-21-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Today is the first day of the rest of your life...
And the first day of constant depletion of my savings.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 AM
elleff
Neutral
There are two black rubber stops on either side of the boot opening (not on the boot itself). They're the screw-in type so if you turn them clockwise, they'll be shorter thus making it easier to close the boot.
Dude! Most useful information ever! I just tightened those little stoppers and the boot closes everytime now with little effort, nice one!

Last edited by elleff; 05-13-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:11 PM
jabrams369
1st Gear
awesome. thanks for the info

Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Baraka
I tried just now and it definitely does not work on my MCS - maybe the European version is different?
One touch up is new on 08s, it doesn't work on 07s. I've got on both windows on the 08. Its been on UK models for a while, an 06 we hired had it, on the drivers window only.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by valthun
If you have started the car and have not left the vehicle you can, stop it, remove the key, depress the clutch and start it again without the key.
Our MA told us about that when we picked up Tristan.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by laughbuddha
If you choose UK English, you get UK measurements for gallons. (The imperial gallon is different than the US gallon.) As a result, your MPG display will be quite innaccurate!
Its not inaccurate, its accurately giving you MPG in imperial gallons. I forgot about that when I set the UK idiom, I was wondering what it would change, I forgot about the small US pint/gallon.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dirny
No, it will not automatically unlock. The doors remain locked until you unlock them, by pulling the door handle once, or hitting the power lock toggle on the center stack. The next pull of the door handle opens the door.
I hate that, and it really confuses passengers, they start pulling on the handle, I'm afraid they're going to pull it off. Its just not obvious, pulling twice is just not natural. I've noticed (or my passengers have) that Number 4 occasionally has the passenger door locked. I've programmed the key to open all doors on one click, and not to auto lock, so it shouldn't be.
If someone has found a way to program around this to work like the R53, I would like to know how to do it.
I'd like to get auto unlock as well.

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI