R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bob.menton
Does your Mini violate the laws of heat transfer and thermodynamics as mine does? My radiator overflow tank reads "MIN" when cold. It reads the same thing - "MIN" - when hot. Wazzup ???

- Bob
They left off the "I"?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Superbonbon99
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have caveated my list...

Thanks everyone for your comments to my list!!! Admittedly, I am definitely a "Type A" personality, so I had to list EVERYTHING OUT and have been thinking about things I forgot to add!

But I should have caveated my list by saying that I'm STILL glad to have my Pepper 2.0! I love the fact that Pepper is agile, saves me a ton of gas, and is still a conversation starter!

Thanks for letting me vent! I've got Pepper 2.0 for a bit, so we've got plenty of time to grow on each other!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Superbonbon99
Neutral
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
P.S. Your last comment about the auto unlock not working on the sunroof puzzles me. If you hold the unlock button down for several seconds on your key fob, doesn't it open everything? Mine does.
2005 Pepper used to have the auto unlock for the windows and the sunroof, but the 2008 Pepper doesn't. Maybe this is a setting that I need to adjust myself? I thought it was odd too that this function didn't transfer to the new model year.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Superbonbon99
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniBella
Superbonbon99... You can adjust the volume of the "Gong" . Just hit the Note button and scroll to the end then hit the button under "Gong" to adjust it.
Thanks--I was playing with that adjustment to get it at a level that worked for me, but it doesn't have the bass to really cut through the loud music I tend to play. If I could add more "click" than "dong" to the turn signals maybe that would help! Or maybe I need to stop killing my ears with my sirius.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Superbonbon99
Thanks--I was playing with that adjustment to get it at a level that worked for me, but it doesn't have the bass to really cut through the loud music I tend to play. If I could add more "click" than "dong" to the turn signals maybe that would help! Or maybe I need to stop killing my ears with my sirius.
Oh, Lawdie, are YOU the guy who kept driving back and forth this weekend, rattling my windows with your boom box?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
pjo1966
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't another difference between the 2005 and 2008 that you don't have to use premium gas in an '08?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Probably--they keep improving the engines. However, we've always used 93 in ours. I have heard of people using 87, but MINI doesn't recommend it, and I won't take a chance of having problems, especially since they might not repair them under warranty.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Superbonbon99
Neutral
Originally Posted by pjo1966
Isn't another difference between the 2005 and 2008 that you don't have to use premium gas in an '08?
I also use 93. I just paid $61.70 to fill up my gas tank. I can't wait until I can start paying $5.00 a gallon.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
I also only put premium in Ambrosia since that is what is recommended and makes the most sense in our type of engines.

while I'm also not happy either about $5/gal gas I'm also not going to cry and moan since this was long overdue, esp as our friends across the pond have been paying more than that for a while now. guess americans will start to realize that non-renewable resources don't grow on trees after all.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ambrosia
While I'm also not happy either about $5/gal gas I'm also not going to cry and moan since this was long overdue, esp as our friends across the pond have been paying more than that for a while now.
The rub is that American oil companies are raking in record profits at the same time they're raking us over the coals.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
smash0r
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Superbonbon99

The sunroof actually makes more noise when it's open fully--even with the flimsy sun screen that catches flies.
I found this to be the opposite - when tilted my '08 is noiser than the '05 tilted - but full open it's almost inaudible for me in the '08 but noisy in the '05

Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Hellion
3rd Gear
Probably--they keep improving the engines. However, we've always used 93 in ours. I have heard of people using 87, but MINI doesn't recommend it, and I won't take a chance of having problems, especially since they might not repair them under warranty.
For Turbo Charged cars and to a lesser extent supercharged cars anything less then 91 Octane can lead to detonation.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 PM
pokie1313
Neutral
We are officially over the engine break in period, so I have started driving it in manual mode. It totally changes the driving experience with the car!
You can manually downshift to 2nd or 3rd coming up to a turn, then you drive the turn, timing the shifts like the slickest manual you've ever driven! (It will also automatically downshift to 2nd when you come to a stop, just like in full auto mode.)
I would have rather had a manual transmission, but this 6 spd auto is too much fun! I love the paddle shifters! You can shift without taking your hands off the wheel. The only thing missing is a left pedal, and the $1200 to R&R the tranny for a new clutch!

Old 06-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
I agree with the last post: after spending almost all of my driving life with manual transmissions, the 6 speed auto in the 08 MCS is the best driving automatic transmission I've experienced. I've done a lot of mountain driving with the car in manual mode and downshifting on descents is as effective at limiting speed as a manual, something that I've never seen before. Plus I don't get visions of grinding down the clutch plate and throwout bearin.

Here's my own addition to the feature list: has anyone else noticed that at 70 mph the speedometer's needle seems to be pre-adjusted to compensate for parallax? When seen from the driver's seat, the needle is right on the 70 mph mark when the digital speed readout on the tach reads 70, but when viewed from the center of the car, the needle is on 69 mph. Is this a feature, or a slight misadjustment?

Old 06-14-2008, 01:04 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
I never look at the actual speedoclock.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:38 AM
miniphatty
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken G.
Here's my own addition to the feature list: has anyone else noticed that at 70 mph the speedometer's needle seems to be pre-adjusted to compensate for parallax? When seen from the driver's seat, the needle is right on the 70 mph mark when the digital speed readout on the tach reads 70, but when viewed from the center of the car, the needle is on 69 mph. Is this a feature, or a slight misadjustment?
You've actually managed to do this while doing 70? I guess being 6'3" doesn't allow me to try this out, not that I am particularly curious. I do know my speedo is off by about about 1-1.5mph.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
I never look at the actual speedoclock.
Me neither--I'd rather be able to tell the ossifer that I was really going exactly 40, instead of 57. Unfortunately, he somehow had his numbers reversed.

The city of Conroe would like the pleasure of my company...

Seriously, I really don't understand why an analog speedo is useful nowadays when digital is so readily available. I guess the round speedo is iconic. It will probably be another generation before it is gone, with a "normal" radio in its place. That's not a design generation--a people generation! By then we'll probably be commuting in one of those rocket cars we were supposed to be using by the 60's.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:10 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Me neither--I'd rather be able to tell the ossifer that I was really going exactly 40, instead of 57. Unfortunately, he somehow had his numbers reversed.

The city of Conroe would like the pleasure of my company...

Seriously, I really don't understand why an analog speedo is useful nowadays when digital is so readily available. I guess the round speedo is iconic. It will probably be another generation before it is gone, with a "normal" radio in its place. That's not a design generation--a people generation! By then we'll probably be commuting in one of those rocket cars we were supposed to be using by the 60's.

I hate digital displays....every time I drive past a Civic I can read their speed......I then say to myself "man how can they only do 72 in a 65??"

I don't want other people to see my speed. "man how can he be doing 85 in a 65"

Old 06-15-2008, 05:20 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
I'm still not used to the fact the increments on the main speedo is 10 mph and not 5. When I thought I was going 35 mph, I was really doing 40.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:33 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The big speedo is fun to scare passengers with, though...Man, do I miss the autobahn........

Old 06-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Qingdom
2nd Gear
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, since I'm still on page 15 of 50.

When the tuner/cd/aux/sirius mode is turned on and you're playing from cd/aux/sirius mode, when there's a state of emergency going off the radio air, the MINI will switch over to listen in on that announcement.

The message dash will say 'ALARM'.

This happened yesterday while I was driving so I couldn't take pictures.

The state of emergency annoucement was a severe thunderstorm warning in parts of New Jersey with a moderate chance of hail.

After the message, the MINI switched back to my regular programming mode; in this case, my mp3 cd, continuing from point left off.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
I don't know if this was already discussed in the 50 pages so far but this relates to the turn signals.

To this day I am still discovering new things with my MCS.The other day when using my turn signal to indicate I am moving over to the other lane I tried to cancel it by pushing in the opposite direction only for it to activate that side turn signal and had to cancel that too.

Anyway what I discovered by accident which some of you might already know is to cancel the turn signal just press it once in the same direction.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
yea, you can cancel with a half push in either direction.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Qingdom

When the tuner/cd/aux/sirius mode is turned on and you're playing from cd/aux/sirius mode, when there's a state of emergency going off the radio air, the MINI will switch over to listen in on that announcement.

The state of emergency annoucement was a severe thunderstorm warning in parts of New Jersey with a moderate chance of hail.

After the message, the MINI switched back to my regular programming mode; in this case, my mp3 cd, continuing from point left off.

That's cool! Didn't know that it would do that.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:50 AM
dogcowdaddy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Qingdom

Happened to me driving through Virginia a couple of weeks ago. There was a severe thunderstorm warning and the National Weather Service alert message came over the radio. I was listening to a radio station so I wasn't sure if they were just playing the announcment over the air or if the car had switched to the NWS frequency, but then it happened again on another station a little while later. Pretty cool. I had no idea it would do that.

Cheers

Jim

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI