R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by automan21
I think this is just for the Euro spec RHD cars. Damn we never get all the cool goodies over here in the states.
That side parking light works in the US! It is described in the owners manual. And it is on most BMWs.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackIce

QUESTION:
Is there a way to set the timeout length for the seatbelt buzzer to a shortter time period, similar to the number of blinks on the lane change blinker? The dog is getting bigger and he is starting to trigger the seatbelt buzzer. The timeout is too long for me and very annoying. Turning it off completely would be better than the long timeout it has now. Thx.

You can have the dealer turn off the chime with a "retrofit" program on ISTA/P. My dealer SA denied it exists, but it is available. Also you have NCS expert you can do it at home (go to the electrical modification section for more info).

No way to adjust the timeout. However, the chime is separate for driver and passenger.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
vert
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not know that all the annoying electronic functions could be customized with a <$30 dollar wire and the instructions posted in the Electrical forum here on NAM. I was able to resolve all the little things that bothered me by coding the options the way I like them. A sample:

- One touch sunroof open and close from the overhead cabin switch instead of having to hold it.
- Hold Unlock on the remote to open windows and tilt sunroof from a distance. Hold lock on the remote to close all.
- Disable constant chiming - from the driver/passenger seat belts, on start up, on door open, when the temperature falls to 37 degrees. So peaceful now! I always wear my seat belt, but in some situations I want to not have it on right away! I also don't need my car to yell at me every time the temperature drops which always makes me think something is wrong for a second.
- Turn on the red Heartbeat LED lights on the tach when the car is locked without having to buy an alarm. It looks awesome and is a good deterrent since it looks like an active alarm.
- Auto door unlock when key is removed from the ignition. Works great with the existing auto locking feature since you don't have to pull on the handle twice.
- Windows can be operated for about a minute after the key is out of ignition. Some Minis have this turned on at the factory but mine did not.
- Always show digital speed on the tach like the newer models. This was not an option on my 2009 but now it is.
- Disable speed overestimation so the speedo is more accurate.
- Enable a setting so that opening a door will not interrupt a window from rolling up.
- Enable a different pattern for hazard lights - it's a cool looking double blink now.
- Disable auto A/C Engagement When Pressing the Auto Button. How annoying is this in the winter? However, it will now retain the settings before you turn the Auto climate system off, so if the AC was on it will come back the next time Auto is pressed and if it was off it will stay off.
- I don't have the Nav, but it allows you to get rid of the Nav system warning which would be great for those that have it.

It took a couple of days to figure it out but it was by far the best mod for the money! Take a look here if any of this sounds interesting to you, but you do need to be comfortable with computers to get into this: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...beginners.html

Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Errant
2nd Gear
Where did you buy your cable, Vert? I used to do this with VWs and have the cable for that, but believe I need a new one for my MCS.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
vert
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Errant
Where did you buy your cable, Vert? I used to do this with VWs and have the cable for that, but believe I need a new one for my MCS.
Got mine from www.uobd2.com. I don't have the exact link, but I found it mentioned in one of the coding DIY threads in the Electrical forum. It was around $28. If you read the DIY threads you will see several places to get the cable from and uobd2.com seemed to be one of the cheapest for something that was tested to work. Some people bought theirs from places other than those mentioned in the DIYs (ebay, amazon) and some of those did not work, so I would definitely read up and get it from a tested source.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Errant
2nd Gear
Thanks, vert!

I learned something abut my MCS today: You can't have your window cracked if it's raining, or there's snow on the roof. You WILL get wet

Old 03-07-2013, 03:05 PM
kidziti
3rd Gear
Something you may not have known about your R56 MiNi:

The USB port in the glove compartment is useful for charging any USB device (smartphone, etc). Unlike either the USB port that connects iPod/iPhone to MiNi Connected or a USB insert in the power outlet in the center console, the glove box USB will keep charging a device when neither engine nor accessory port are on - almost like a hardwire to the vehicle's battery.

Another thing you may not have known - with an Android smartphone, you can get full functionality of all MiNi Connected functions - yes, ALL. You'll need to invest in an iPod and root your phone (or otherwise have tethering capabilities/permission on your data plan). This is good information for people committed to Android by choice or by contract (in my case, T-Mo doesn't offer iPhone yet).

Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kidziti
The USB port in the glove compartment is useful for charging any USB device (smartphone, etc).
You must have the nav system. From what I can tell, that port is intended for Nav updates. Those of us without do not have it, and must make do with the center console port that (at least when I ordered my car I was told) was part of the Bluetooth option.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:34 PM
kidziti
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
You must have the nav system. From what I can tell, that port is intended for Nav updates. Those of us without do not have it, and must make do with the center console port that (at least when I ordered my car I was told) was part of the Bluetooth option.
In fact I do indeed have the Nav. I was aware of the specificity of the glove box USB receptacle as a dedicated Nav dataport, but it still serves good utility as a simple charging port that is always "hot" even when nothing is on. I can run the cable out to the center console within the glove box so it also eliminates that "loose wire" look in the cockpit.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM
MichaelTAU
Neutral
My MINI Cooper D manual is smart enough to re-start the engine when I'm dumb enough to stall it!
If I stall, I put my foot down on the clutch, put it back into neutral and he fires back up again without touching the start button! Into first and away I go.
Must be something to do with the auto start/stop feature.
I think it's his way of saying "it's ok, let's get out of here before people laugh at us" haha

Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 AM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelTAU
I think it's his way of saying "it's ok, let's get out of here before people laugh at us" haha
Love it.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful about using an 'always hot' for charging... I read on a Jeep forum about a device that possibly overheated after being left in all night, and may have been what caused a fire in the Jeep. If you're using a hot outlet and leaving your device in, your device could possibly overheat, at least older ones might.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vert
I did not know that all the annoying electronic functions could be customized with a <$30 dollar wire and the instructions posted in the Electrical forum here on NAM. I was able to resolve all the little things that bothered me by coding the options the way I like them. A sample:

- One touch sunroof open and close from the overhead cabin switch instead of having to hold it.
- Hold Unlock on the remote to open windows and tilt sunroof from a distance. Hold lock on the remote to close all.
- Disable constant chiming - from the driver/passenger seat belts, on start up, on door open, when the temperature falls to 37 degrees. So peaceful now! I always wear my seat belt, but in some situations I want to not have it on right away! I also don't need my car to yell at me every time the temperature drops which always makes me think something is wrong for a second.
- Turn on the red Heartbeat LED lights on the tach when the car is locked without having to buy an alarm. It looks awesome and is a good deterrent since it looks like an active alarm.
- Auto door unlock when key is removed from the ignition. Works great with the existing auto locking feature since you don't have to pull on the handle twice.
- Windows can be operated for about a minute after the key is out of ignition. Some Minis have this turned on at the factory but mine did not.
- Always show digital speed on the tach like the newer models. This was not an option on my 2009 but now it is.
- Disable speed overestimation so the speedo is more accurate.
- Enable a setting so that opening a door will not interrupt a window from rolling up.
- Enable a different pattern for hazard lights - it's a cool looking double blink now.
- Disable auto A/C Engagement When Pressing the Auto Button. How annoying is this in the winter? However, it will now retain the settings before you turn the Auto climate system off, so if the AC was on it will come back the next time Auto is pressed and if it was off it will stay off.
- I don't have the Nav, but it allows you to get rid of the Nav system warning which would be great for those that have it.

It took a couple of days to figure it out but it was by far the best mod for the money! Take a look here if any of this sounds interesting to you, but you do need to be comfortable with computers to get into this: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...beginners.html
Wow! You've managed to solve all my pet peeves with one post.

I will have to look into this in more detail. Thank you.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Have not seen this one - did you know you could set the mood lighting to random? According to this thread you just need to push the switch forward and hold it for 10 sec. so many fun little things with these cars...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html
I made the absolutely colossal mistake of trying this out while my girlfriend's 11 year old daughter was in the car... Now I can't go back because she insists on it being a dance party in there.

Thanks guys... You rrreeeeaaaalllly did me a favor. LOL

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Chili4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise

I made the absolutely colossal mistake of trying this out while my girlfriend's 11 year old daughter was in the car... Now I can't go back because she insists on it being a dance party in there.

Thanks guys... You rrreeeeaaaalllly did me a favor. LOL
Wait until she buys one of those mirrored disco ***** that hangs from the rear-view! Ha!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Atvin411
1st Gear
I didn't know I could change the color of the lights that are behind the armrest.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM
S_Banks
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got mine from www.uobd2.com. I don't have the exact link, but I found it mentioned in one of the coding DIY threads in the Electrical forum. It was around $28. If you read the DIY threads you will see several places to get the cable from and uobd2.com seemed to be one of the cheapest for something that was tested to work. Some people bought theirs from places other than those mentioned in the DIYs (ebay, amazon) and some of those did not work, so I would definitely read up and get it from a tested source.
Hey Vert, thank you for the post, do you have any email, invoice or order confirmation that shows/includes the item number from uob2d.com?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
vert
1st Gear
Originally Posted by S_Banks
Hey Vert, thank you for the post, do you have any email, invoice or order confirmation that shows/includes the item number from uob2d.com?
I checked and I do not have it. However, I found the link to the wire here by reading a couple of threads in the Electronics forum on NAM - I started with the Beginners thread I linked in my original post and then there were a couple other ones, so it's buried in here somewhere. Also, you don't have to get the wire from the same place as I did. There are several other recommended places discussed in the DIY threads.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 AM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Still waiting for my 2013 to get on a boat and head this way.
But, in the interim, thought I'd add one here maybe you all aren't aware of ...

2013s with Manual Transmission, when in Sport Mode, will backfire on the downshifting. My MA showed me this on the test drive - told me it was to emulate the JCW.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Originally Posted by StPeteAPB

2013s with Manual Transmission, when in Sport Mode, will backfire on the downshifting. My MA showed me this on the test drive - told me it was to emulate the JCW.
Thanks for the information, but this is not new for 2013. It has been around a long time and there are many threads discussing it. You know, we Vols have to help out you Gators all the time with things like this

Last edited by jhull413; 03-19-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 AM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jhull413
Thanks for the information, but this is not new for 2013. It has been around a long time and there are many threads discussing it. You know, we Vols have to help out you Gators all this time with things like this
Thanks - actually, my MA is originally from TN No *****

Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Thanks - actually, my MA is originally from TN No *****
Wow, and you still bought the car from him/her?

Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 AM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jhull413

Wow, and you still bought the car from him/her?
Keeping the SEC on top! :p

Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

as otherss have stated, this is not new to 13s, my 12 cms all4 does the pop/burrble

however, i have noticed that there is no pop/burrble until the engine is fully warmed up

so even though i do not have a temp gauge, by using sport mode ON, my cms all4 will let me know when it is fully warmed up and until it does, i drive with a light foot

scott

Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 PM
S_Banks
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I checked and I do not have it. However, I found the link to the wire here by reading a couple of threads in the Electronics forum on NAM - I started with the Beginners thread I linked in my original post and then there were a couple other ones, so it's buried in here somewhere. Also, you don't have to get the wire from the same place as I did. There are several other recommended places discussed in the DIY threads.
Thank you very much for looking Vert, it's appreciated!
I'll dig a little deeper in the threads.

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI