R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen
I thought it was an option on early model R56? Pretty certain that my 07 doesn't have it either. I don't know if it became standard later on but I seem to recall reading that it had been an optional package.
I can't speak for the Justa, but my week 3 build '07 MCS has it. Not that I've needed it much in flat Houston...but we're moving to Arkansas in January. Lots of hills where we're going!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was an option on early model R56? Pretty certain that my 07 doesn't have it either. I don't know if it became standard later on but I seem to recall reading that it had been an optional package.
I thought it was standard on R56s, US models at least. I'm pretty sure its on our early 07 Cooper. I find it more annoying than anything.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I can't speak for the Justa, but my week 3 build '07 MCS has it. Not that I've needed it much in flat Houston...but we're moving to Arkansas in January. Lots of hills where we're going!
So jealous. Your MINI will be a ton of fun up there!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
From the wiki

All models of the Mk II with optional dynamic stability control (DSC) also include "Hill Assist", a feature which prevents the car from rolling backwards on an incline by holding the brakes for 2 seconds after the driver releases the brake pedal, allowing the driver time to engage the accelerator pedal without the vehicle drifting. Also included with DSC is hydraulic EBA (Emergency Brake Assist) as opposed to the mechanical system on Minis without DSC. DSC is standard on all Minis since September 2008.
Mine has dsc, so I guess it has it. I sit on an incline to go over an overpass on my home from work every time I leave the motorcycle at home and drive the MINI. Guess I'm just so used to dealing with a manual transmission in that situation that I never noticed it.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
So jealous. Your MINI will be a ton of fun up there!
Yeppers, why do you think we're moving up there?! I won't tell you about the garage for 7 cars (or 27 MINIs), including plenty of room for a lift.

I've got my MINI, he's got his '64 Porsche, and who knows what will follow us home...

Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
From the wiki

Mine has dsc, so I guess it has it. I sit on an incline to go over an overpass on my home from work every time I leave the motorcycle at home and drive the MINI. Guess I'm just so used to dealing with a manual transmission in that situation that I never noticed it.
Mine has DSC, too. Guess that explains it.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:53 PM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, and my Justa doesn't have DSC (it was an option in Australia) so that also fits.

gixxerjasen: I agree. Something just felt a bit odd sometimes starting off and after a few weeks I worked out what it was!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
yeppers, why do you think we're moving up there?! I won't tell you about the garage for 7 cars (or 27 minis), including plenty of room for a lift.
stop it!!!

***Edit - You know, sometimes we need to type in all caps, but Noooooooo, the forum changes it for us! ***

Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
My manual says that Hill Start Assist was standard with ASC (ie if you don't have DSC).

Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Got my acronyms confused the other day. I don't have DSC. I have LSD though. But that explains why when I let off the brake the car starts rolling immediately. No biggie though. I've owned enough manual transmission cars to deal with it. I do remember my first time on a hill with a manual transmission though. Girlfriend was trying to teach me to drive her car and I was freaking out and there was a car pulled up behind me. Very nerve wracking to be certain. I'd have loved hill assist in that situation.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 PM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Greetings from the Great White North!

I learned that this post takes about 5 hours to read. And 3 seatings is possible
I learned that Mini's are addictive to more than just me
I learned that my gf is very patient with me "wasting" 3 evenings
I learned that she needs a mini of her own.

I also learned some people don't like sarcasm

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope Santa brings you all something mini

Stephen

Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daddyandmadi
Greetings from the Great White North!

I learned that this post takes about 5 hours to read. And 3 seatings is possible
I learned that Mini's are addictive to more than just me
I learned that my gf is very patient with me "wasting" 3 evenings
I learned that she needs a mini of her own.

I also learned some people don't like sarcasm

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope Santa brings you all something mini

Stephen
Haha I like that the girlfriend needs a MINI of her own! Need to get my wife on board with that sentiment.

Not sure how new your MINI is to you but welcome and I love your area of Canada! The drive out to banff and lake Louise is absolutely amazing. The MINI would be awesome in those mountain twisties.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Haha I like that the girlfriend needs a MINI of her own! Need to get my wife on board with that sentiment.
Does the wife know about the girlfriend?

Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JoanieB
Lol I was referring to daddyandmadi's post about his girlfriend needing a MINI. I was saying that i wish my wife wanted to get a MINI since she hates them :(

Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoanieB

Isn't my mini my mistress? 😉

Old 12-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,154 Likes on 904 Posts
Have not seen this one - did you know you could set the mood lighting to random? According to this thread you just need to push the switch forward and hold it for 10 sec. so many fun little things with these cars...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html

Old 12-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Its not random, its cycling though all the colors (if you have a new enough model). I knew about that, but our MA also demonstrated it and we never bothered to turn it off. I like it like that, though I sometimes see an odd colour out of the corner of my eye and wonder what that was (thinking it might be an emergency vehicle of something).

Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Have not seen this one - did you know you could set the mood lighting to random? According to this thread you just need to push the switch forward and hold it for 10 sec. so many fun little things with these cars...

Nice! I also was not aware of this setting.. I must try this! Thank you for sharing!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 AM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Useful tip: when a MINI's battery goes flat, you typically get a warning that the seat belt tensioner or airbag has failed. Obvious, really. The car then shuts down everything and refuses to let you try to start it. Instruments and interior lights were still working, but the windows didn't do their little half-inch jump when the door closed.

My guess is that a sensor for the seat belts and airbags happens to be the first thing that fails as battery power is reduced.

The (Australian) MINI Roadside Assistance guy had all the right gear and diagnosed one cell in the battery had failed. It was the 5-year-old original, so that was pretty good - he said they typically last 3-4 years. He also said the seat belt/airbag warning message is typically what R56s show for a flat battery. It's a red picture of a seated person and airbag in the speedo and sometimes the digital speedo too.

The hardest part of replacing it was that the plastic panel under the windscreen wipers has to be removed too, as well as just the battery cover.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pw4
The (Australian) MINI Roadside Assistance guy had all the right gear and diagnosed one cell in the battery had failed. It was the 5-year-old original, so that was pretty good - he said they typically last 3-4 years. He also said the seat belt/airbag warning message is typically what R56s show for a flat battery. It's a red picture of a seated person and airbag in the speedo and sometimes the digital speedo too.

The hardest part of replacing it was that the plastic panel under the windscreen wipers has to be removed too, as well as just the battery cover.
Great. My battery will be 6 in February! And I just got a new windshield installed and replaced that panel at the same time--which means I'm overdue for a battery, and will have to redo the panel, too.

Good to know about the idiot light warnings, though. The other day it was quite cold (for Houston), about 45 degrees, and I noticed that it cranked a little slower than usual. It was definitely on my mind, although the car started all right. I'm moving to Arkansas in 3 weeks--no dealer nearby--so I guess I'd better pick one up before I go.

Or should I?

Maybe I shouldn't worry about a dealer replacement and go with off-brand, like NAPA. The NAPA website lists them for about $120, but does have a warning that a vent may be needed. I understand why, but shouldn't it say definitely that it does, does not, have the vent already??? Or is this something that's included in the box and is just part of the installation procedure?

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
S_Banks
2nd Gear
On my '09 Mini "hatchback," I found out if you leave the doors unlocked and walk away, they will automatically lock but... the fuel door doesn't get locked. The fuel door only gets locked when you hit the lock button on the fob. Odd to say the least.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by S_Banks
On my '09 Mini "hatchback," I found out if you leave the doors unlocked and walk away, they will automatically lock but... the fuel door doesn't get locked. The fuel door only gets locked when you hit the lock button on the fob. Odd to say the least.
Do you have Comfort Access? My 2011 MC's doors don't lock, she can sit there in the driveway all day and stay open.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Goldilocks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S_Banks
I am proudly owned by an '08 BRG Cricket. Is that also true of the '08 models?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 PM
S_Banks
2nd Gear
JoanieB - I don't have "Comfort Access." But... I believe the secret is in the "fob" not being close to the car e.g., I had gone in the house and came back out to get something from the car (maybe 3-4 mins).

Also check one of the "customization" options (I bolded what I use);

Press the button to scroll to the next option, a picture of a padlock with an A next to it. This selects the settings for automatic locking. Select the clock to if you want the vehicle to lock all the doors after some time if no one has opened a door, the arrow if you want the vehicle to lock when you drive off, the clock and arrow if you want it to do both, or off to prevent the car from locking itself. Highlight your preferred option, then press and hold to confirm.

Read more: How to Set Up a Mini Cooper | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7589361_set-...#ixzz2IC3JFx00

Tried a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

GoldiLocks - I don't know if the '08s do this, worth a try though.

But I still don't understand why they left out the fuel door from this "locking" action... I'm dumbfounded.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM
DVUS CPRS
3rd Gear
HOLY!! I just thought about this the other day and wondered why MINI hadn't made it selectable. Good to know. Too bad the speedo, center console and tach don't change colours as well.
Originally Posted by Eddie07S

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI