R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just tried the down-up method, didn't work as good as the double tap. Guess I'm just used to typing on keyboards.

Another topic: how do you turn off the wipers from the low speed (not intermitent)? I've been going into intermitent to turn it off (pressing the button twice).

Old 08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Down once on wiper stalk.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Mini Bean 2
1st Gear
2009 Cooper S Question

I have a friend that is thinking about purchasing an 2009 S. He said he read somewhere that they do not come with the AUX plug near the radio for the Ipod? It cost about $300 to get it. Is this true?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:03 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure that the ipod adapter is an option....

I've got it on mine but I bought mine off the showroom floor so what it had, it had.

Mark

Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I tried a 2009 JCW which has an Aux jack but not a USB jack. I would assume the 09 MC/MCS come with the Aux jack standard, but it's probably worth asking a dealer.

A quick look on MINIUSA didn't find anything useful.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:41 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The "Aux" (Stereo Mini Plug) is standard, but the USB Connection is an option and it may be included in a 'package'.

I don't have it (or IPOD) but my Radio Pamphlet says you can "Select Track, Random Sequence, Forward/Reverse, Access Information, Open/Close Folder and Display File Structure" as well as Adjust IPOD Volume which would be only option using Aux Jack.

I do run an XM-Radio SkyFi through the Aux and the "Input Volume" is used.

Last edited by pilotart; 08-25-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Speaking of iPod adapters, why does my iPod show up as "CD" not "AUX" on the computer screen?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Speaking of iPod adapters, why does my iPod show up as "CD" not "AUX" on the computer screen?

On my "non-Nav" 08, when the iPod is not plugged in, it reads: Tuner, CD, AUX. When I plug the iPod in using the white cord that came with the car, it then reads Tuner, CD, iPod. (AUX changes to iPod)

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 AM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
The aux audio input jack is standard - you just have to buy the headphone adapter (has a male plug on each end) for about $7. However, you have to use the player to change songs, etc. and also I've had to turn the volume ALL the way up on both the stereo and the player (using up my battery really fast). I don't have an iPOD, I have a Sony Walkman 16GB A729 video audio player so maybe that's the problem. I was thinking about having the USB input added and maybe that would fix the problem or at least the player would be charging.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MinnieMama
The aux audio input jack is standard - you just have to buy the headphone adapter (has a male plug on each end) for about $7. However, you have to use the player to change songs, etc. and also I've had to turn the volume ALL the way up on both the stereo and the player (using up my battery really fast). I don't have an iPOD, I have a Sony Walkman 16GB A729 video audio player so maybe that's the problem. I was thinking about having the USB input added and maybe that would fix the problem or at least the player would be charging.

Any suggestions? Thanks
IIRC you can adjust the input level of the Aux jack. Also, turn off any EQ on your player if it's turned on as that can eat battery.

If you can get that working, might just want to look into a car charger for your player. Or, maybe a cigarette lighter to USB adapter to charge it that way. Much cheaper than buying the whole USB thing.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
minim8o
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MinnieMama
Any suggestions? Thanks
If you have a line-out on that player, you should use that. Often those kinds of players have a combined video and audio out using a multi-pin DIN plug or mini to Red-White-Yellow output plugs.

You have to turn the volume all the way up because the headphone out is made to drive low impedance headphones [edit: and that unit's built-in amp is only 10mW for both channels]; i.e. output is biased to providing less voltage and more current needed to drive the moving coil transducers of a headphone.

The aux-out is a hi impedance output; i.e. provides higher voltage and lower current output to the device being driven. The "line-out" of you player (if it has it) should provide the correct impedance match to the car's radio. As line-out is a fixed level output, you then only use the car stereo's volume to control it.

Last edited by minim8o; 08-25-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Because you've got the iPod adapter?

If you just plug into the Aux it should show up as Aux. If you use the USB iPod adapter it'll show up as "IPOD" if you have the dealer installed adapter it'll show up as "CDC".

Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Bean 2
I have a friend that is thinking about purchasing an 2009 S. He said he read somewhere that they do not come with the AUX plug near the radio for the Ipod? It cost about $300 to get it. Is this true?
Not for R56s, that was true of MKI MINIs, up to 04 you could only get the Aux as a dealer installed option, with the 05s you could get he iPod adapter or the Aux. All R56s come with Aux as standard as far as I know (but not all have USB as noted).

Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
Because you've got the iPod adapter?

If you just plug into the Aux it should show up as Aux. If you use the USB iPod adapter it'll show up as "IPOD" if you have the dealer installed adapter it'll show up as "CDC".
I have a dealer-installed adapter...and it shows up as CD -- just like an actual music CD, although I can see the other options (greyed-out). I don't have a USB port - forgive me for being stupid, but where would this be if it's already a part of the car? It's not a big deal and I can still manipulate the iPod through the computer menus, but the menu system doesn't work quite the way the iPod itself does. I figured that was due to the way it was read by the computer - i.e. AUX or CD, etc.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:33 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
I have a dealer-installed adapter...and it shows up as CD -- just like an actual music CD, although I can see the other options (greyed-out). I don't have a USB port - forgive me for being stupid, but where would this be if it's already a part of the car? It's not a big deal and I can still manipulate the iPod through the computer menus, but the menu system doesn't work quite the way the iPod itself does. I figured that was due to the way it was read by the computer - i.e. AUX or CD, etc.
IIRC the USB port should be right next to the auxiliary input which is below the toggle switches within the cubby hole.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I have a dealer-installed adapter...and it shows up as CD -- just like an actual music CD,
The dealer installed adapter usually shows up as the CD changer (CDC), if its showing up as the CD, that's weird. It shows up as the CDC because it looks just like the CD changer to the radio.
I don't have a USB port - forgive me for being stupid, but where would this be if it's already a part of the car?
Just next to the Aux audio socket on the bottom of the radio.
It's not a big deal and I can still manipulate the iPod through the computer menus, but the menu system doesn't work quite the way the iPod itself does. I figured that was due to the way it was read by the computer - i.e. AUX or CD, etc.
The menus are not the same as the iPod. The radio is reading the iPod's database of songs and presenting its own view of this to you. When you select play etc it sends the right play etc command to the iPod, the iPod's UI has nothing to do with this at all, in fact the iPods UI should be turned off and just show the MINI logo. I think the radio does a particularly poor job of controlling the iPod when you have the dealer installed adapter, the menus are quite confusing. The USB adapter is better, but not great.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Went over this a few times over in the NAV/Audio sub forum. There are several different methods for accessing an ipod.

You can have a dealer option installed that takes the place of your CD changer and allows you ipod to connect to the stereo via the secret compartment. You can control it via the stereo but it is limited because the ipod is seen as a CD changer.

All R56's come with an AUX connector. This is a small, 3.5 mm I think, audio jack that sits below the center stack on the roof of the cubby hole. The stereo is only controlling the volume at this point as there is no way to send control signals over the audio connector. As a bonus, anything that has a headphone/line out audio out will work here. It may really drain batteries though.

A MINI installed accessory that places a USB connector next to the aforementioned AUX connector. The ipod will hook to both the USB and AUX connector via a special adapter. The stereo then can not only play music but also control and charge the ipod.

#4 (bonus #3)
Any device that can be seen by a computer as an external HDD and doesn't pull too much power can be connected to the USB connector. The stereo reads the mp3's files off it and plays them, no connection to the AUX connector is necessary. So far most have only been able to get thumb drives to work consistently though some have powered portable HDD's off the cig lighter and then plugged into the USB port (but that's a whole nother thread).

As far as I know these are the only ways to connect an external audio source. Though I'm sure there may be other 3rd party solutions like DICE, etc.

Hope this clears things up.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
pjo1966
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I just went outside and tried this. What exactly was it meant for? It's too uncomfortable to allow anyone to sit back there, is it just for a little bit of extra room?

Mark
It's not meant to be used with passengers in the back seat. It allows you to put boxes or larger items in the back, while still maintaining the privacy you would lose if you put the seats all the way down.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
OK - maybe I'm just "speeeashhal" today, but the way you describe it Btwyx isn't exactly the way it shows up -- not that I doubt you guys at all! (and I can't just go out and LOOK at the car since it's STILLLLLL at the dealership for headlamp issues....grrrrrrr)

Anyway - not sure what you mean by menu problems: the way mine shows up (and I have the embedded navi, so I get the whole screen) is
a.) by CD like I said before,
b.) I can see my playlists as menus
c.) it's got my iPod name (that was not my idea, by the way), and "Root" - which is pretty much just my entire music library; this is what plays automatically (when first attached) unless I manually go through the car computer to change "playlists."

If I try to manipulate the iPod while attached, it doesn't do anything. I haven't been able to check out to see where that aux port is yet but I will when I get it back. Like I said - I can still play my MINI FAST DRIVE playlist, so I'm good. Thanks guys!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I have the embedded navi,
That might explain somethings, the Nav screen is different than the 2 line radio display. We've got the 2 line radio display, I've never used the Nav versions, so I couldn't comment beyond reading the manual, though its still the Nav/Radio doing the menus, not the iPod, so they'll be different from the iPods version.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
MINICDN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
I just found out about this this morning. We couldn't get Shawn to do intermittent, so I looked in the manual, it tells you about the stalk push.

This explains why I couldn't get the wipers in the S we hired last year in Scotland to work properly, intermittent seemed to be broken. I was used to Tristan who works like the 07 manual says, and its just 1 push up.

We've had Shawn 3 months and I'm not sure we've had to use the wipers yet, we were up unusually early this morning and it was misty. If we hadn't it'd probably be December before he saw any rain.
Thanks for this post. It finally rained here and allowed me to try pushing the button on the end of the stalk instead of the 1 push up as documented in my manual. At least I know it wasn't me mis-interpreting the instructions!

For those looking for inexpensive audio cables to connect their MP3 players to the AUX connector in the lower cubby...try this online vendor;

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have had really good luck with my various cables purchases from them over the years.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned or if it's worth even mentioning, but I'll mention it anyway...

Auto up on your windows do not work with the doors open. The door must be shut before auto-up works. Why? I have no clue.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINICDN
Thanks for this post. It finally rained here and allowed me to try pushing the button on the end of the stalk instead of the 1 push up as documented in my manual. At least I know it wasn't me mis-interpreting the instructions!

For those looking for inexpensive audio cables to connect their MP3 players to the AUX connector in the lower cubby...try this online vendor;

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have had really good luck with my various cables purchases from them over the years.
Monoprice has the best HDMI wires - 24AWG and they're cheap! (off topic yes)

Originally Posted by DrewN
I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned or if it's worth even mentioning, but I'll mention it anyway...

Auto up on your windows do not work with the doors open. The door must be shut before auto-up works. Why? I have no clue.
Maybe so you don't poke yourself in the eye getting out of the car when the window is rolling up and you're getting out?....Come on now I know you can see it happening after a couple of cocktails (or even without).

Old 08-27-2008, 04:57 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
Maybe so you don't poke yourself in the eye getting out of the car when the window is rolling up and you're getting out?....
You laugh but I remember one time I purchased an older car with a frame around the window. My previous car didn't have the frame, just glass.

Point is, I got out of the car and slammed the door. The corner of the window frame caught me dead square in the jaw.

Almost knocked my dumbazz out.

Stupid is as stupid does....

Mark

Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
minim8o
4th Gear
Originally Posted by geekswrath
#4 (bonus #3)
Any device that can be seen by a computer as an external HDD and doesn't pull too much power can be connected to the USB connector. The stereo reads the mp3's files off it and plays them, no connection to the AUX connector is necessary. So far most have only been able to get thumb drives to work consistently though some have powered portable HDD's off the cig lighter and then plugged into the USB port (but that's a whole nother thread).

As far as I know these are the only ways to connect an external audio source. Though I'm sure there may be other 3rd party solutions like DICE, etc.

Hope this clears things up.
i.e. http://www.hyperdrive.com/ ??? I'll have to try tomorrow.

I have the 'old' one w/o the ability to view the images. But that allows for 100Gigs of transfers on one charge. Marketed for photographers for off loading memory cards, but it's "an external drive" otherwise to any FAT aware controller. But won't get charged via the USB while servicing files.

A service manager had told me about that, but I'd forgotten. Thanx for reminding me!

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI