R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 AM
65frank
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Crack

Quick question, I have a crack in my windshield and I'm not sure if the local windshield replacement facility that my insurance company uses will do a good job (Safelight Repair). I tend to be very picky about who works on my Mini and I don't want someone to ruin any sensors that could be attached.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 AM
aunknown
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had horrible luck with satellite, whoever they use to produce their glass is garbage. So many imperfections and warped windshields. I had them come out to replace the windshield on one of my vehicles 5 different times. The last time I just said good enough and went back after them and cleaned everything up.

The following users liked this post:
65frank (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I had my windshield replaced by Safelite and they did a really good job. Just make sure you ask for factory glass. I've heard their own brand of glass is really distorted.

65frank (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I've had nearly a dozen replaced by Safelite over the years, most recently on my R59 (which has ALL the wiz-bang sensors).

ONE TIME I had an issue (on a Honda) and after one call they came back and redid the job, no questions asked. "very sorry" Every other time, no complaints at all.

an advantage over a 'local guy' is a nation wide warranty ...

Every location is different of course and there may be a bad one or two around buy MY experience has been good enuf to keep me coming back time after time.

one hint: yes they typically will do the work in your driveway or any other location BUT if the actual office and shop is near by you MAY do better going there. IF there's an issue there are more folks to help and more tools etc at the shop.

my insurance is USAA and they use Safelite to handle all glass issues. You can use someplace else if you insist but they will automatically route a glass claim to Safelite.

65frank (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:58 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Just had my windshield replaced by Safelite last week with non-OEM glass (brand is Fuyao, a chinese brand). Installation was easy and they were able to reuse the A pillar covers, saving $50 from the estimate (total $444). Glass is extremely clear, it's a major improvement over the pitted glass I had by the end. Only problem was that the rain sensor stopped working (auto wipers wouldn't activate in steady rain). I had to go back a week later to have them check it out. the guy just took off the rain sensor control unit and put it back on, and that seems to have fixed it... overall pretty satisfied with Safelite, service was professional and fast

Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
side bar ... I've mentioned b4

glass is usually not a collision issue insurance wize. For me it falls under 'comprehensive'

a few years back, while I had 4 cars on my policy with a $500 deductible for comp - having just paid for new front glass I asked my insurance what it would cost me to change to a zero deductible for my comp coverage.

less than $100 per year for all 4 cars ..... meaning my next glass would cost me ZERO ...... ain't never looked back, or paid for another piece of glass in the cars

costs nothing to ask . . .

Old 01-23-2019, 10:43 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I collected a rock on the highway that put a crack in the factory glass, which was rather pitted after 5 years. AAA insurance covered it, they use Safelite. The guy came to my office and replaced it, did a very nice job. No problems with distortion. But I kept hearing a funny "tick" noise every now and then, and after about 9 months a crack appeared from under the A pillar cover - obviously not from an impact. So I called Safelite up, the same guy came out, took one look at it, and replaced it under warranty no fuss. Again he did a very nice job. Then 2 days later on the highway a car somewhere in front of me kicked up a rock that put a nice little crack right in front of me. Does Safelight use cheap-*** glass, or was I just unlucky? Can't complain about the quality of the work or the warranty, but I am wondering about the strength of the glass. So far I'm just living with the crack, it's only a few mm.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:07 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Been through a bunch of glass repair for MINI, maybe12 windshield over 3 MINIs in 15 years. ALL safelite
Just watch on the A pillars, the rain sensor itself and the way it clips in. Masure the safelite guys know BMWs if he does he mostly knows the MINI also as they share the same set up on the sensor.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ld-pillar.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172