R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Two weeks of ownership, first issue arises!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two weeks of ownership, first issue arises!

Yeah, I bought pre-owned... which is something I have not done in more than 30 years. My 2011 MCS has been sitting in the garage all day, and there is a plate-sized puddle of what appears to be coolant (blue-green liquid) under the front end, just to the right of center (from the driver's seat).

Already made an appointment for Monday to have it diagnosed, and praying it is just something loose, not something broken.

The first two weeks of ownership had been a joy, until now. I'm not pleased...

Old 01-24-2015, 03:56 PM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drivers side of the engine? Sounds like it could be thermostat related.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:03 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Check the thermostat and the water pump. Both places are notorious for leaks.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:09 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies guys. It appears to be more on the passenger side... Right side if I'm in the driver's seat. I'm going to put it up on jack-stands in the morning and see if I can determine for certain what the source is.

If I'm looking at the front end of the car, it is just to the left of center. There was a small puddle a few days ago that i first thought was AC condensation, but the car has been sitting all day today, and the puddle is now a good six to eight inches in diameter.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:42 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
water pump? was yours the plastic one? the new water pump is better made with metal case.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The water pump is on the far passenger side of the engine, near the back corner of the oil pan. If you can pull off the front wheel, it will be easier to see where the leak is coming from.

There is a pipe that runs behind the engine that connects the water pump to the thermostat housing (which is located on the driver side of the engine, just above the transmission). If the thermostat leaks, the coolant generally puddles on top of the transmission and rarely makes it down to the floor until the leak gets severe.

The only other place for a leak is in front of the engine, with a hose, the radiator, or the auxiliary water pump (if you have an S). I have read that some people have had their lower radiator hose come loose (it is held in place with a plastic clip) and develop a leak. This should be able to be easily spotted when you are under the car.

A previous comment indicated a plastic housing. Water pumps were originally built with a plastic housing, and the replacement parts are now with a metal housing. The plastic water pump housing can crack, just like the plastic thermostat housing.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 01-24-2015, 06:27 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
The water pump is on the far passenger side of the engine, near the back corner of the oil pan. If you can pull off the front wheel, it will be easier to see where the leak is coming from.

There is a pipe that runs behind the engine that connects the water pump to the thermostat housing (which is located on the driver side of the engine, just above the transmission). If the thermostat leaks, the coolant generally puddles on top of the transmission and rarely makes it down to the floor until the leak gets severe.

The only other place for a leak is in front of the engine, with a hose, the radiator, or the auxiliary water pump (if you have an S). I have read that some people have had their lower radiator hose come loose (it is held in place with a plastic clip) and develop a leak. This should be able to be easily spotted when you are under the car.

A previous comment indicated a plastic housing. Water pumps were originally built with a plastic housing, and the replacement parts are now with a metal housing. The plastic water pump housing can crack, just like the plastic thermostat housing.

Have fun,
Mike
Thanks Mike. This info will help. It is definitely more toward the passenger side of the car, and appears to be dripping/pooling almost directly under the exhaust manifold, where the exhaust header goes from vertical to horizontal and heads toward the rear of the car. It is not leaking as fast as I thought... I wiped up the puddle that was there, and it has not yet returned. The coolant reservoir is near the top of the "max" line, so it is at least usable. I'm hoping it is a simple hose leak.

I see the four jack points on the car. How do I use a floor jack to raise it up AND put it on a stand. On my Miata there was a cross-beam under the front end I could use to raise the entire front and put stands on both sides. Is there a safe place on an R56?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
With the MINI, you can lift the entire side of the car by using the forward jack point. While the side is up, put a jack stand under the front subframe. Then jack up the other side at the front jack point and use another jack stand.

Honestly, I would just jack up the passenger side.

One thing that I didn't mention was that there is a oil cooler on the front of the engine block, near the oil filter. This is directly over the exhaust pipe, but I would not expect this to be the source of the leak. If you see coolant coming directly down the front of the block, this could be the source.

It is easy to over estimate the size of a leak. Ever knocked over a quart of oil? It flows out huge!

Have fun,
Mike

Old 01-25-2015, 02:17 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
I'm stumped...

I've attached a picture of where the drops of fluid are leaving the engine bay... but I have no idea of the source. The fluid is dripping off of the transmission casing from that round casting point, right down onto the exhaust, and then onto the ground. I cannot seem to find a source at all, but it has to be higher up on the side of the block. Could it be residual fluid, left over from an earlier repair? That sounds silly, but the "puddle" this morning after i wiped it up last night was only about the size of a quarter. I have not driven the car today, except to back it out of the garage, and put it up on the ramps.

I completely dried everything I could see, and now 15 minutes later I see no trace of fluid. I'm going for a drive to warm the car up well, and then I'll pull back up on the ramps and see if the leaking commences.

Anyone have a clue?

Attached Thumbnails Two weeks of ownership, first issue arises!-2015-01-25-16.58.19.jpg   Two weeks of ownership, first issue arises!-2015-01-25-16.58.03.jpg  
Old 01-25-2015, 06:23 PM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
I cannot tell from the photos, but if you have a leak on the passenger side, I would suspect the water pump.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:16 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Well this is weird. After my thorough drying, and my 30 minute drive, no additional leaks appear. Not a drop. I'm still taking it in tomorrow to have the service techs give it a once-over. SOMETHING was leaking... it is a matter of time before it leaks again.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe that leak is coming from the oil filter housing gasket on the front of the engine. Coolant drips straight down and leaves whitish deposits on the driver side of the exhaust downpipe. I had the same leak in my MINI.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not that I know much about this stuff, but I would be concerned that the drip stopped because it's run dry.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 AM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TrueEddie
Not that I know much about this stuff, but I would be concerned that the drip stopped because it's run dry.
Nope... plenty of coolant in the reservoir. Leak was back this morning, about a quarter sized puddle, dead center of the car, dropping straight down onto the exhaust right where it goes from vertical to horizontal, at the front side of the engine.

I'm at the dealership service bay now. We'll see what they diagnose.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:59 AM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scott13
I believe that leak is coming from the oil filter housing gasket on the front of the engine. Coolant drips straight down and leaves whitish deposits on the driver side of the exhaust downpipe. I had the same leak in my MINI.
Your description sounds like it could be the issue, based on what I'm seeing. One hour down in service bay... we'll see.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Update. I'm in a loaner overnight, until my car is ready tomorrow afternoon. Diagnosed with two issues:

1) Oil filter seal/gasket
2) Water pump leak

Tech said both were "minor" but noticeable, and they are taking care of both issues, just couldn't get it done today.

On the bright side, I've got a Cooper Convertible with only 4k miles on it for the next 18 hours or so. On the down side... it's an automatic.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Hopefully someone else is paying for this, not quick to change filter housing gaskets. Glad you got it figured out.

Just learn how to read the dipstick (stop laughing, it is an issue) and keep changing the oil at 5k miles, keep fixing leaks or odd sounds, and the MINI will be happy for a long time.

Mike

Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Hopefully someone else is paying for this, not quick to change filter housing gaskets. Glad you got it figured out.

Just learn how to read the dipstick (stop laughing, it is an issue) and keep changing the oil at 5k miles, keep fixing leaks or odd sounds, and the MINI will be happy for a long time.

Mike
Dipstick... Is that what that yellow monstrosity is called. WTH is up with that? I got it out the first night I had the car home, but getting it back in was quite the game. Oil changes I'm game for, but damn that engine bay is tight. My Miata was simple to work on, and dead reliable. That's why it went to my son. This MCS will take some getting used to, but once I figure out my way around, we'll be friends.

As for the repairs... their working with me on it. The dealer didn't like the fact it left the lot needing repairs, so we'll see where we land. After all, it's only money. Repairs just leave less for mods.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:55 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear they are trying to help you out. Hopefully you are little to no money out of pocket.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:30 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Hats off to Orlando MINI!

Two thumbs up to Orlando MINI. Both the water pump and the oil filter housing gasket were replaced, under warranty, with no charge to me. That is service after the sale, and the way to keep me coming back!

They also washed and detailed the car for me. I can't ask for more!

Oh yeah I can... I left my leather jacket in the loaner car, so I have to go back tomorrow and retrieve it.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:43 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Yeah its a good full days work to do both of those. Around 10/11 book hrs if I recall. Independent shop wanted 971 to do both so I can only imagine what the stealership would charge for this. Glad you got it all squared away though and it didnt cost you a thing.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:22 AM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
MINI of Escondido, CA has treated me VERY well. No money out-of-pocket. Just got over the factory warranty, so we will see how the Hendrick extended warranty works out next time I have an issue. I left a Streamlight LED flashlight in my loaner car from them once, and they shipped it to me....2 days! They really went above and beyond for me, so far. Free loaner cars every time. I even got to talk to the tech who works on my car. The first time I went there, the tech asked if I had any mods, or tunes. I said no, because at that point I didn't. He was surprised, and said my MINI was the quickest stock 2011 MCS he had ever driven! I figure that as a good omen...she must have been a Wednesday car on the line. Monday=hung over. Friday=can't wait to get home. LOL! Real life, folks!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:40 AM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
MINI of Escondido, CA has treated me VERY well. No money out-of-pocket. Just got over the factory warranty, so we will see how the Hendrick extended warranty works out next time I have an issue. I left a Streamlight LED flashlight in my loaner car from them once, and they shipped it to me....2 days! They really went above and beyond for me, so far. Free loaner cars every time. I even got to talk to the tech who works on my car. The first time I went there, the tech asked if I had any mods, or tunes. I said no, because at that point I didn't. He was surprised, and said my MINI was the quickest stock 2011 MCS he had ever driven! I figure that as a good omen...she must have been a Wednesday car on the line. Monday=hung over. Friday=can't wait to get home. LOL! Real life, folks!
I wish more dealers would learn the value of truly treating customers well. It does pay off in the long run!