R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Review: The Raceseng Slammer Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Review: The Raceseng Slammer Shift ****

To me, the 2013 JCW GP is as close as you can get to perfection in a MINI without getting your eyes wet. I do realize that I may be in the minority here, as not everyone can handle a daily driving experience with what is essentially a Mini Cooper crossed with a GT3 RS… but with its razor-sharp handling, quick reflexes, no back seat, and raucous exhaust note, this car is basically tailor-made for yours truly.

However, in the 5 months of GP ownership, I have realized that there is but one imperfection: The stock shift ****. While attractive in form, particularly with the Chili Red insert and stitched leather finish, the stock **** tips the scales at a paltry 6.4 ounces, or 181 grams, or… only 0.4 pounds. This lack of mass makes the stock shifter feel unmotivated and overly notchy at times, which can be a little discouraging when spiritedly charging through the gears.

Luckily for me, one path I had managed to cross in my automotive adventures was that of Jarrett Seng. You may not know Jarrett, but perhaps you’ve heard of his company: Raceseng. Since 2005, Jarrett and his father, Glen, have designed and manufactured a wide variety of race car components under the Raceseng name, though the passion for motorsports that drives this company can be traced all the way back to 1957 (read more about the Raceseng legacy, right here). Lately, the FR-S/BRZ/GT86 platform has been on the receiving end of Raceseng’s razor-sharp focus, and their products have proven to be extremely popular and well received by enthusiasts from all corners of the globe. Of particular note is Raceseng’s participation as a featured sponsor for the Speedhunters.com FR-S that won the 2014 Scion Tuner Challenge at SEMA this year (more info on the build, here).

Why all this talk about the FR-S? Okay, okay. I’ll cut to the chase.

Way back in April, long before the thought of jumping into the GP had even crossed my mind, I happened to see a post pop up on the Raceseng Facebook page: They were in search of an R56 MINI with a manual transmission for development purposes. Even though I still had my GTI at that time, my girlfriend (now fiancee) happened to pilot a row-your-own R56 MINI Cooper, as seen below.

So, I did the logical thing: I reached out to Jarrett to see what exactly was needed. After some discussion, I found that he had developed an adapter to fit the Raceseng line of shift ***** to the R50 and R53 MINIs, and he was curious to see whether the same adapter would fit the R56 MINI as well. Since I’m not exactly right in Raceseng’s backyard, but I happened to have the car he needed and a digital caliper, I offered to save him some time and money and record the measurements he needed. Ultimately, what we discovered, is that the R56 platform would need its own adapter.

Fast forward to September: After a few months of GP ownership, I decided it was time to do something about my featherweight shift **** woes, and by this time, Jarrett had wrapped up development on the R56 adapter. Given my previous involvement with the development of the adapter, it was only natural that I fit a Raceseng **** on the GP. The only problem was, which one? After discussing my plans with Jarrett, he mentioned it would probably be best to take a day and stop in and sample the goods and see the manufacturing facilities in person. How could I say no? So, I fired up the GP, and off to Macungie, PA I went!

Between the Apex R, Ashiko, Slammer, Creatür, Signatür, Slammologi, and Topologi designs, Raceseng offers 54 different options for the R56 platform alone. Needless to say, I really had my work cut out for me when it came to picking the exact **** I wanted. With so many options, the Raceseng brand is truly a perfect fit for the neverending aftermarket MINI marketplace.

Since I desired a powdercoated finish, though, I was able to narrow down my choices a bit: I could choose the 735 gram Ashiko (pictured below, on the left) or the slightly slimmer, 615 gram Slammer (on the right). (The other ***** are no slouch either, the Creatür, Signatür, Slammologi, and Topologi ***** weigh in at 500+ grams!)

After spending some time getting intimate with both the Ashiko and Slammer *****, my mind was made. Slammer it was! The rounded profile felt better in my palm, and with all the curves, circles, and rounded edges the R56 MINI interior has to offer, I thought that the profile of the Slammer would jive better with the slightly whimsical MINI school of design. In regards to color, I knew I wanted red... but which red did I want, exactly? To clarify, Raceseng offers three different shades of red: Translucent, Wrinkle, and Mirror.

It was a hard decision to make, but in the end, I decided it was best to tie the shift **** in with the trademark ‘Chili Red’ accents scattered throughout the interior and exterior of the GP. Thus, it was the mirror red finish that ultimately won the Battle of the Reds. And of course, to put the figurative cherry on top of this bright red ****, I opted to have the 6-speed shift pattern, complete with the signature Raceseng R, engraved right into the mirror red finish. Perfection.

On to the install.

Installation on the R56 MINI is very straightforward. Pick your favorite plastic trim tool (don’t use a screwdriver), and pry out the shift boot retaining ring from the center console. Then pull up on the shift ****, and voila. Out comes the whole kit and kaboodle.

If you turn the shift boot inside out, you’ll find a plastic retaining ring glued to the stock shift boot, this holds the shift **** and boot together. You’ll need to remove this ring to install the threaded Raceseng shift **** adapter and shift boot retainer.

Now, insert the adapter into the ****-less and retainer-less boot, and cinch the included zip-tie down over the boot to keep the boot from slipping down over the shifter.

Then, flip the boot right-side-out, slip the adapter over the shifter, and proceed to tighten the 4 grub screws to hold the shift **** adapter to the shifter.

And finally, thread the **** onto the adapter, align the ****, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

The verdict.

I’ve logged a thousand miles or so with the Slammer so far, and this **** has delivered exactly the kind of sweet shifter action I was dreaming of, with no regrets. I consider this case closed.

Questions? Comments? For additional photos, click here.

The following users liked this post:
aabcds (06-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Looks like Craven has some competition, I'm already on board for the Tug View + Tow Hook + GoPro Mount gunmetal as soon as there in stock again! Your new shifting **** stands out in a big way in your interior.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Looks like Craven has some competition, I'm already on board for the Tug View + Tow Hook + GoPro Mount gunmetal as soon as there in stock again! Your new shifting **** stands out in a big way in your interior.
I'm sorely tempted to pick up a Tug View and a GoPro for next year's Autocross events.

I'd really like to have the ability to record my runs.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Zillon
I'm sorely tempted to pick up a Tug View and a GoPro for next year's Autocross events.

I'd really like to have the ability to record my runs.
There's a canyon mountainous drive a few mile toward the mountain in my area, I consider the level of difficulty way above average given at each right turn there's hundred year old trees parallel to the edge of the road with nothing but trees arching over the sky. The best time to go is either early or late afternoon when the sun is on either the southeast or southwest, these high speed very sharp turns gives me butterflies every time!

These maps don't even come close to the actual roads as it doesn't show them in detail, follow the S18 or S19 roads here.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I saw your final choice and immediately said "thats EXACTLY what I want!". I then built one on the website, 175 bucks total with the adapter? Yeah… I'm not a cheap guy, but thats much to steep for me. And here I thought the shift **** for my Miata was expensive.

Looks gorgeous though.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That looks really cool, I'd be interested in seeing what they've got for the R50. Could be a nice addition, love that translucent red!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Aikmanson
Wow, I saw your final choice and immediately said "thats EXACTLY what I want!". I then built one on the website, 175 bucks total with the adapter? Yeah… I'm not a cheap guy, but thats much to steep for me. And here I thought the shift **** for my Miata was expensive.

Looks gorgeous though.
I should have put this review up sooner - they recently had a 15% off Black Friday sale that definitely would have been great to take advantage of.

Originally Posted by dannyhavok
That looks really cool, I'd be interested in seeing what they've got for the R50. Could be a nice addition, love that translucent red!
They do make **** fitments for the 5-speed R50, as well: http://www.raceseng.com/products/shi...5-speed-manual

Old 12-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
I should have put this review up sooner - they recently had a 15% off Black Friday sale that definitely would have been great to take advantage of.
Thats sad, cause that would have certainly made me consider it much harder. Never even knew they existed until this post, I certainly do now.

You have the coolest shift **** I have ever seen, expensive, but its gorgeous.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Aikmanson
Thats sad, cause that would have certainly made me consider it much harder. Never even knew they existed until this post, I certainly do now.

You have the coolest shift **** I have ever seen, expensive, but its gorgeous.
Well, for what it's worth, Helix is featuring an introductory offer on a couple Raceseng products: Click here!

Last edited by Zillon; 12-09-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:53 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Boss!!

Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, Helix is featuring an introductory offer on a couple Raceseng products: Click here!
http://store.helix13.com/ashiko-intro-pricing/
No slammer though..

Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ovrclck
That is true. I did ask - and found they do offer the Slammer. Just not under their introductory deal.

I'd bug 'em.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:50 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
I love the finishes on these. It may seem like a lot of money but I think a nice shift **** is worth it because its something you interact with every time you drive the car.

Objectively speaking, spending this much money on a shift **** is stupid, but thinking objectively is not what made most of us buy these cars in the first place!

Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
That is true. I did ask - and found they do offer the Slammer. Just not under their introductory deal.

I'd bug 'em.
Done and done.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AndyPWR53
I love the finishes on these. It may seem like a lot of money but I think a nice shift **** is worth it because its something you interact with every time you drive the car.

Originally Posted by AndyPWR53
Objectively speaking, spending this much money on a shift **** is stupid, but thinking objectively is not what made most of us buy these cars in the first place!
Couldn't have put it better myself.

You can spend your whole life saving for the worst, but if you never spend a little to live in the moment, what fun is that?

Old 12-09-2014, 11:52 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I bought a hardwood shift **** (Burlwood, African Blackwood) made by Robin Casady for my 2007 MCS for around $200 and it was great, I later got the ebrake handle he made out of the same woods. Pix are in My Gallery. He said it took a lot of work to shape them, and a lot of serious drilling through that wood.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Looks like Helix has added the Slammer to their introductory offer!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,384 Posts
Bump on an old thread...

I'm looking to pick up a Raceseng Slammer, but I'm curious how its size compares to the OEM ****? Does anyone have a side-by-side picture of the Slammer and an OEM R56 ****?

Old 08-27-2016, 10:47 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Bump on an old thread...

I'm looking to pick up a Raceseng Slammer, but I'm curious how its size compares to the OEM ****? Does anyone have a side-by-side picture of the Slammer and an OEM R56 ****?
Just a tiny bit 'fuller' in profile.

Fits in the hand nicely.

Unfortunately, I don't have any side by side photos.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
I can't make up my mind if I want the Slammer vs the Ashiko. I'm currently running the CF JCW handle. Would there be a noticeable difference going from the jcw to Slammer?

Help! :D

Old 10-14-2016, 08:10 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I can't make up my mind if I want the Slammer vs the Ashiko. I'm currently running the CF JCW handle. Would there be a noticeable difference going from the jcw to Slammer?

With respect to weight, I went from the carbon fiber JCW to a custom Slammer and the difference was HUGELY noticeable. JCW weight was about 200 grams, the Slammer is over 600 grams. If you like the shape of the JCW CF ****, the Slammer is the closest in shape to it. It has a rounder profile but I actually like it better than the JCW's more narrow profile. I was able to mount it higher than the JCW and it is just perfect. Expensive but perfect.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 10-14-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Yes, as below the difference is huge.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Zillon
5th Gear

Huge difference.

I've driven a friend's JCW GP with the CF JCW ****... and I wasn't a fan. Way too light.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
With respect to weight, I went from the carbon fiber JCW to a custom Slammer and the difference was HUGELY noticeable. JCW weight was about 200 grams, the Slammer is over 600 grams. If you like the shape of the JCW CF ****, the Slammer is the closest in shape to it. It has a rounder profile but I actually like it better than the JCW's more narrow profile. I was able to mount it higher than the JCW and it is just perfect. Expensive but perfect.
Awesome! That's the exact reply I was looking for.

Huge difference.

I've driven a friend's JCW GP with the CF JCW ****... and I wasn't a fan. Way too light.
Slammer it is then. Thanks so much!