R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Turbo wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 11:34 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Turbo wastegate

hey there fellow mini addicts.
just got back from the shop after finally tracking down the cause of the dreaded “reduced power” half-engine light. Only seems to come on while on the freeway and under a light load, like going up a small incline. Well it turns out that my waste-gate is hanging open and I’m losing boost! Does this really mean that I will need to replace my whole turbo? Is there not a way to just fix the waste-gate? This is my first turbocharged vehicle, so it’s all new to me. The price of a new turbo is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker. My biggest issue is the 10 hours of labor they said it will take to do it.... I’m not cool with paying over $3000 to have a new turbo put in!
so on to question number 2... if I do need to completely replace the turbo, is this something that a guy can do himself to save some cash? I’m fairly handy and do a lot of my own maintenance on my other cars, how tough of a job am I looking at here?
any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has suggestions on what one to get, and where to buy it, I am all ears!
Thanks in advance

Old 05-25-2018, 01:11 PM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Depending on the year and mileage of your Mini, it might be covered under warranty: Mini turbo extended warranty. Unfortunately it's the surrounding exhaust housing that wears out preventing the wastegate from fully closing. It, (exhaust housing) is a separate part of the turbo but would probably be wiser to go ahead and replace the whole turbo along with the oil feed line. That's what I ended up doing last October with a lightly used unit and was able to remove and replace it without putting the front end into the "service position". Yes, i saved money doing it myself and buying used but wouldn't suggest this route if not mechanically inclined. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:03 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
This is good to know! I had no idea that they had extended the warranty for the turbo. I have a 2012 R60 S-ALL4 with 115,600 miles. It may just be covered?? How do I go about finding out if they will cover it or not?

Old 05-25-2018, 03:15 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
So I just got off the phone, the first person I spoke with played dumb, the next said mine wasn’t covered as it’s VIN specific. I said well from what I read it looks like almost all turbocharged N18 engines would be covered....and guess what motor I have...with a bad turbo?
after some run around, they want me to take it to the mini dealer in Seattle and have them diagnose it (even though I just paid for that yesterday at a different shop) and then they will try to do something about it. I have an appointment for Thursday the 31st, to have the diagnostic done again at Seattle MINI. Fingers crossed. If anyone has any advice I will gladly take it!
to their credit, the folks on the phone at Seattle Mini were really nice and helpful.
i really hope it’s covered, I can’t afford 3 grand for new one to be installed.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:41 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S-2013
Depending on the year and mileage of your Mini, it might be covered under warranty: Mini turbo extended warranty. Unfortunately it's the surrounding exhaust housing that wears out preventing the wastegate from fully closing. It, (exhaust housing) is a separate part of the turbo but would probably be wiser to go ahead and replace the whole turbo along with the oil feed line. That's what I ended up doing last October with a lightly used unit and was able to remove and replace it without putting the front end into the "service position". Yes, i saved money doing it myself and buying used but wouldn't suggest this route if not mechanically inclined. Good luck.
Thanks for the info!! Hugely important to me right now. Called MINIUSA and will see what happens next week

Old 05-25-2018, 03:47 PM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Don't give in to the typical dealership BS stories because they all hate doing warranty work, (doesn't pay as much as the regular hourly rate). I used a vacuum pump and inspection camera in the O2 sensor hole to verify that the wastegate was the issue. These N18 wastegates have a high failure rate because it has a much higher duty cycle than your typical turbo wastegate. It's not a matter of "if" but "when" it'll fail. Unfortunately mine was out of the warranty period due to mileage. Keep us posted of how things transpire.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:44 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Well I’m headed down to Seattle to get the diagnostic over with, will update when I hear something. At least they are going to give me a loaner for the day

Old 05-31-2018, 10:51 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Minor Update

well I dropped it off this morning, they said I may not hear back until Tuesday, but I’m ok with that because they gave me a shiny new 2018 Countryman S to drive until then
Dont know anything yet, except that I need a new turbo....but they sounded fairly optimistic that Mini would look out for me....we’ll see

Old 05-31-2018, 11:43 AM
S-2013
3rd Gear
I hope they take care of you and replace your turbo with zero out-of-pocket. Please keep us informed.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:14 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I hope they take care of you and replace your turbo with zero out-of-pocket. Please keep us informed.
will do, as it sits it looks like Tuesday at least before the dealer is done with it. I’ll know more then.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:47 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Yes, replacing a turbo is not as crazy as it sounds. Part for part its pretty straight forward. Hardest part would be putting your Mini into service mode.

REMOVE:
  1. OEM Heatshield
  2. Oil Lines
  3. Coolant Lines
  4. Boost Vacuum Line
  5. Wastegate Vacuum Line
  6. 4 Bolts for the Exhaust Manifold
  7. 3 Bolts for the Downpipe

If you don't put the Mini into Service Mode you will curse out everything under the sun and its very difficult to get to the Exhaust Manifold.

Make sure you have an oil/coolant catch to be put under the turbo and at least 1 gallon of replacement coolant and a quart of oil for after you are done with the install.

Check the Manual for Torques and tightness

Old 05-31-2018, 07:49 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Oh and pick up new gaskets. Don't try to reuse the ones you take off.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:03 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
If the Wastegate is damaged then it is not holding Vacuum which is not allowing the Turbo to hold boost. Meaning the wastegate or the Vacuum line has a leak.

I would replace the vacuum line first to see if this fixes the issue. Yes, a $10 part could be the source of all your woes.

The following users liked this post:
Cohnhead (04-12-2022)
Old 05-31-2018, 08:34 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
This is the Waste gate Vacuum Actuator. if this piece or the line to this doesn't hold the vacuum it will not close the waste gate

This is the Actuator Arm that closes the Flap (circled in red). Also if the nuts for the Flap lever are off will also cause it not to close completely (circled in yellow) this is highly unlikely but not unheard of.

This is the flap that needs to close to build boost which in turn builds the power for your Mini (or any turbo driven car) (Circled in Red). While the flap is open the exhaust gases which would be used to spin the Compressor wheel will just flow out through the Downpipe

Old 06-01-2018, 11:25 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
This is the Waste gate Vacuum Actuator. if this piece or the line to this doesn't hold the vacuum it will not close the waste gate

This is the Actuator Arm that closes the Flap (circled in red). Also if the nuts for the Flap lever are off will also cause it not to close completely (circled in yellow) this is highly unlikely but not unheard of.

This is the flap that needs to close to build boost which in turn builds the power for your Mini (or any turbo driven car) (Circled in Red). While the flap is open the exhaust gases which would be used to spin the Compressor wheel will just flow out through the Downpipe
That’s the issue right now, the waste gate is stuck open. Unfortunately they checked the vacuum module and it’s ok. So new turbo it is! Ugh! Will find out in a few days if MINIUSA will do a good faith fix with the warranty extension they have issued. My car is under 10yrs and still (barely) under 120K.
Fingers crosses! If they won’t I’ll be buying one and trying to install it myself (with a little help probably, heh heh)

Old 06-01-2018, 11:41 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Thank you

Hey everyone, I just wanted to make sure to let you all know that I really appreciate the excellent information you guys give, it’s truly invaluable for me. And thank you for the well wishes and luck, that MINI will make it right!Thanks

Old 06-01-2018, 04:39 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
even if you are going to swap out just the waste gate. It's best to remove the turbo and mark where the nuts are on the actuator arm and measure the distance from center of actuator arm to the waste gate wall.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:08 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
even if you are going to swap out just the waste gate. It's best to remove the turbo and mark where the nuts are on the actuator arm and measure the distance from center of actuator arm to the waste gate wall.
You can do that? I wasn’t aware that just fixing the waste gate was an option.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:20 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

Unless the flap is not engaging with the actuator arm then New Turbo it is. If its the actual waste gate vacuum side (first pic) then yes, it can be replaced

Old 06-01-2018, 07:27 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 PM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

The actual wastegate valve and shaft on which it rotates on are all part of the exhaust housing and usually not separate parts. Like I stated in a earlier post, you can replace just the exhaust housing, (that includes the wastegate mechanism) but probably should go ahead and replace the whole turbo do to mileage. Does it sound doubtful the repair dealership is gonna honor Mini's extended warranty?

Old 06-01-2018, 07:46 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear

The actual wastegate valve and shaft on which it rotates on are all part of the exhaust housing and usually not separate parts. Like I stated in a earlier post, you can replace just the exhaust housing, (that includes the wastegate mechanism) but probably should go ahead and replace the whole turbo do to mileage. Does it sound doubtful the repair dealership is gonna honor Mini's extended warranty?
as I mentioned in the post above you. If its the Flapper the bolt the rotates the Flapper shut or the arm the connects the flapper to the Actuator Arm (all the the parts circled in the pic below), then you will need a new turbo and that to me would seem more like a manufacturer defect.

the part I posted is the vacuum assist to close the waste gate. If that part is defective which is not unheard of then it is a part that you can replace with a little elbow grease.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:03 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Update

Just got the car back, like I thought the turbo needs to be replaced. As far as the warranty goes.... I have to call MINIUSA tomorrow. But gut feelings say that I’m probably on my own.
If that’s the case I’m thinking about getting a hybrid quick-spool turbo and doing the work myself. Just can’t stomach paying for almost 10 hours of labor on top of the cost of the turbo itself.
I also just found a place about 40 miles from me that rebuilds turbos, so I’m going to look into that as well.
Thanks again everyone, your help is invaluable to me right now, and if anyone has any suggestions or advice or anything, please post it for me.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 AM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Supposedly, MINI USA sent out a letter to potentially affected N18 owners for the turbo extended warranty. I didn't receive the letter and I know MrGrumpy didn't get one so I would be very interested in reading the details. Did anybody reading this post get an actual letter?

Old 06-02-2018, 07:21 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Supposedly, MINI USA sent out a letter to potentially affected N18 owners for the turbo extended warranty. I didn't receive the letter and I know MrGrumpy didn't get one so I would be very interested in reading the details. Did anybody reading this post get an actual letter?
I would like to know what exactly it says as well. Is there one out there with anybody?

Quick Reply: Turbo wastegate