R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 BFG GForce 2's installed today

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BFG GForce 2's installed today

Those Dunlop run flats are not going to make it until spring, it is in the shop now getting the BFG GForce 2's in a 205/55/16 sizing. Had a hard time coming to the decision on the tire size, but maybe not as much thought went into the tire choice as I have those tires on my vintage Jag and really love them. I know the 55 profile and being non run flats are going to take away some of the snappiness of the steering, and I only can hope not too much. These are very soft compound summer tires, perfect for the hot Arizona climate, so I am thinking what it gives up in sharpness will be taken back by stickiness. All the streets the first mile away from my home are cratered with cracks and potholes and I just cannot deal with the bone shaking without some sidewalls to soak them up.

Post in a few days after a mountain road run my opinion of how much compromise I just made. I can see this subject has been a hot topic on NAM for years, but not many have chosen this tire model.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Bob Saget
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those tires are going to kill it. I don't know what you're talking about by losing the "snap" steering. If anything they will dramatically improve steering.

These tires respond very well to just about anything you throw at them. I had 2 sets of them on my old civic. They made the car handle like a dream. Run flats are unpredictable and very unforgiving when they lose grip.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I ran the old BFG G-Force tires on my SVT Contour. WONDERFUL tires.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Yep, I made the right choice to get those Dunlop run flats off the car. After a few hours of running the tire torture track known as my part of town, these tires provide what I am looking for without a significant trade off. I don't want to paint all run flat tires with the same brush, but the ones I had were only driveable on smooth pavement. Now I have less drama, less noise, more positive control in bumpy cracked pavement turns because the "skipping" recovers far more quickly and uses less real estate to accomplish it. Yeah, it is a little more "floaty", but this seat of the pants feeling is hard to describe. Others on NAM have tried, many exaggerated IMHO, and left me with confusion over the effect of switching to non run flats. I say here that at least with these tires, and the streets I have to drive everyday, they are exceeding my expectations and I am happy.

I could have gone for the 50 profile in this tire, I think, and next year I probably will.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
I recently replaced my runflats with Kumho Ecsta all-seasons, and the difference was quite welcome. The ride was still properly firm, but without the hammering I was getting from the runflats. Rather than dull the driving experience, I think they enhance it... handling is still great, but without the punishment I was getting from the original tires, which were admittedly well-worn.

Spridget

Old 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
SSSSSSSS
Coordinator :: M2C2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the KDWs on my '05 MCS and they were predictable but NOISY. Rumble, rumble, rumble. In cold weather they were slippery. They didn't wear particularly well either, about 15,000 miles. The Falken Azeni RT-615 handled better and wore at about the same rate and no noise.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
200 miles and a day later I would like to offer some observations on the change from Dunlop run flats to these BFG G Force Comp 2 NON run flat tires. I drove the last 10,000 miles on the Dunlops to the wear bars, they were a bit greasy the past two months, but I remember what they were like at their best.

The BFG's feel heavier, and compared to the worn tread on the Dunlops - taller. Noticeable in 1st gear taking off from a stop.

The BFG's are at 34psi now, in a few weeks I will try 36 and later 32 to see where they are at.

The Mini has lost some of that go kart feel, it is a subtle change, but shows up on driving hard into a sweeper where I used to expect the car to slide and drift very flat (no body/tire roll) into the expected line. It sticks completely now, no slide at all, traction 100%, and I can feel the cornering force reaching up into the suspension now. It does this also on sharp turns executed quickly, rather springs out of the corner rather than rotate/pivot on slipping tires. The old tires made the Mini have quirky handling, darty but always predictable and so easy to turn at speed.

The BFG's make the Mini feel more like a normal sports car, planted on road with more effort on the steering wheel to get the turn started, but with far far fewer "opposite" lock fingertip only steering motions to keep it on line. In brief, it is not quite as silly to drive fast because the car will go where you point it without needing to correct the line.

However, for my needs in a daily driver in my area, I just could not stand the harshness of those Dunlops another day. These new tires are like installing carpet on the road, a very sticky carpet. I no longer have wheelspin, the Justa just doesn't have the power to overcome the grip - which is not really a bad thing.

Last edited by RockAZ; 01-10-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you're happy with the upgrade. Tires are where your car meets the road, so if there is one "suspension" mod everyone should do before any other, it's tires.... then a good rear sway lol. When you finally have tires that exceed the performance ability of the suspension and power, you have won in my book. Whether it be spirited DD driving in curvy roads, or autocrossing, when my tires start to hinder my vehicle I get real annoyed. I should be able to push the CARS and DRIVERS limits before the tires start fighting back, with a stock suspension and powertrain.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Errant
2nd Gear
Thanks for posting this. I'm in need of tires for my 09 MCS. It's been years since I've bought tires for anything other than a big 4x4, so I was feeling very lost trying to weigh all the options. I will take a look at the G-Force 2's. I was just going to go with stock size 16's. Can I ask what made you go with the 205's?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
The 205's are just a bit wider on the stock rims, puts a little bulge outside the bead and I think it looks good. I see nothing wrong with 195's, might even turn a bit quicker with just a little bit less footprint. That tire has many options, 205/45/16 205/50/16 205/55/16 as well as some 195 sizes.
Again, I like that tire (in my climate and driving area) because I have them on my vintage Jag where they are just awesome putting 350HP to the ground with a heavier car than a Mini.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Errant
2nd Gear
Thanks, Rock

I just realized that's a summer tire, and while I don't drive the MINI when there's snow on the roads, it does see freezing temps. Looks like I'm going to go with the Pirelli P7 All Season Plus, instead.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
had bfg2 on my 400+ HP trans am, ran great till it hit threads, they wore out pretty fast but a good tire.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SSSSSSSS
I had the KDWs on my '05 MCS and they were predictable but NOISY. Rumble, rumble, rumble. In cold weather they were slippery. They didn't wear particularly well either, about 15,000 miles. The Falken Azeni RT-615 handled better and wore at about the same rate and no noise.
They're a sticky tire. Granted they're no 200 tread wear RE-11A, but they're still not exactly your typical 450+ rated touring tire. You will always sacrifice longevity for grip. Sticky tires wear faster, all part of the game.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:42 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
With the criminally hot weather 5-6 months straight here, and balmy summerlike weather the rest of the year, it just makes sense for me to stay with the sticky type of tires on sports cars and just budget for new ones every other year.

BTW, the BFG GForce Comp2's are rated for 50k miles by BFG,....