R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How to Eliminate the Backfire ("pop and burble")?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
jonhen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Eliminate the Backfire ("pop and burble")?

I've got a pretty new 2011 Cooper S, manual 6-speed transmissions, has 5500 miles on it. This is my 4th Cooper, so I thought I was pretty familiar with everything. And I love the little cars, obviously - thus explaining why I've had 4 in a row.

But this backfire business... I can't stand it. I've read all the posts here, and I understand that it's an engineered-in sound that is supposed to harken back to the original Minis of the sixties? Or something? But to me, it just sounds like a horribly mis-tuned engine that is backfiring constantly whenever I let up on the gas.

I love the sport mode, and pretty much drive with it on all the time. But, as reported here numerous times, that makes the "pop and burble" nearly constant, at least on city streets.

Anyway, it's driving me insane. When I took it to the dealer (Vista Mini of Fort Lauderdale), they chuckled and said the sound is "on purpose", and there's nothing I can do about it.

So here's my question: How can I get rid of the noise? If I replace the exhaust with a 3rd party exhaust, will that do it? Or do I need to take the car to a non-affilated mechanic and have them forcibly re-tune the engine? Or... what?

I can't even figure out what the exact "quirk" is that is causing the noise in the first place. To me, it sounds like someone's slamming a rubber mallet against the exhaust over and over, or some kind of loud flap is snapping closed repeatedly...

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I understand that it is in the engine control unit's software. My 2010 MINI doesn't have it and I'm glad, it'd drive me nuts too! But people complained when MINI stopped programing it in. You would think that they would offer it as an option.

Alta's Access Port tune doesn't have it, they are still working on a version for the 2011 models, they say they are close to offering it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-thread.html

Dave

Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Cred
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love that sound! I had the pop burple sound all the time on my 2002 JCW. I test drove a 2011 JCW yesterday and the pop burple was not half s bad. I don't know if the sound is less noticeable then before but it's still music to my ears.
You may just need to appreciate it.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cred
I love that sound! I had the pop burple sound all the time on my 2002 JCW. I test drove a 2011 JCW yesterday and the pop burple was not half s bad. I don't know if the sound is less noticeable then before but it's still music to my ears.
You may just need to appreciate it.
+1. I have a '11 JCW and at first, I was very disapponted that I didn't hear more pops and burbles. Nearly 1,100 miles and the exhaust is starting to pop and burble much more. Not as much as my '05 MCS--but I had a CAI and Magnaflow exhaust that seemed to intensify the "noise".
My neighbors tell me they hear the pops, etc. . I do love the sound of the exhaust--not raspy--just mean. I have been advised that as I put more miles on BUDacious that it will be more noticeable. Hope so. Nick

Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM
jonhen
1st Gear
I'm happy for all you folks that love the sound

But alas, I do not. And just like a music genre you don't like, I really don't think I'll "learn to appreciate it" over time. In fact, I've taken to turning on the stereo loud just to cover it up, which I'd really rather not do.

I guess I'll start watching the Alta site and hoping. I'd gladly pay $1000 or more just to get rid of this noise, because in every other respect I love the car.

Although... FWIW, can someone explain WHY this is supposed to be a "Good Sound", and not a "The Engine Isn't Working Right" sound?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 PM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jonhen
I'm happy for all you folks that love the sound

But alas, I do not. And just like a music genre you don't like, I really don't think I'll "learn to appreciate it" over time. In fact, I've taken to turning on the stereo loud just to cover it up, which I'd really rather not do.

I guess I'll start watching the Alta site and hoping. I'd gladly pay $1000 or more just to get rid of this noise, because in every other respect I love the car.

Although... FWIW, can someone explain WHY this is supposed to be a "Good Sound", and not a "The Engine Isn't Working Right" sound?
I am sure "good sounds" is a very relative term. Unfortunately, for me, I was a teenager back in the 50's. A "hot rod" wasn't hot unless you could really hear it. We had exhausts that make the MINI pops sound almost like wet farts. I thought as I got older the exhaust notes of a car would have less meaning and importance to me. Sadly--soon to be 68, I am an admitted exhaustaholic and love the sounds of real cars and their exhaust notes. Fart cans don't get it for me. I have to realize that a 20 yr old today probably never heard an old '49 Mercury or '51 Ford in their hot rod prime. I promised myself that I would not touch the JCW exhaust--hopefully I keep the promise to myself. I may remove the resonator--maybe.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Without the burbble and pop I wouldn't drive a MINI. It's part of the MINI heritage. The best way to eliminate it is to trade your MINI in for a Honda....not being brash, just giving true advise.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jonhen
I agree wholeheartedly. To me, instead of sounding like the engine is nicely tuned, it sounds like you could not get it quite right. Like when trying to dial in the jetting and exhaust on my old bikes. If you got pops, then your fuel mix was off or you had a leak in the exhaust.

I know it is personal preference, I would just like to understand why this would be a good sound.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
This is certainly the first complaint about pop & burble that I've ever heard! It makes it sound like it has something bigger than a 1.6. Most supercars and sports cars do it, and I personally love it. I don't think there's a way to get rid of it. I don't think ALTA would write a tune to get rid of it (since 99.99% of people love it). And it would be really hard to convince MINI to get rid of it too. Getting a new exhaust would make it more prominent. Has anyone told you that it sounds bad? I've never heard anyone say that, it literally makes all of my friends jealous.

It sounds awesome!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleNick
I am sure "good sounds" is a very relative term. Unfortunately, for me, I was a teenager back in the 50's. A "hot rod" wasn't hot unless you could really hear it. We had exhausts that make the MINI pops sound almost like wet farts. I thought as I got older the exhaust notes of a car would have less meaning and importance to me. Sadly--soon to be 68, I am an admitted exhaustaholic and love the sounds of real cars and their exhaust notes. Fart cans don't get it for me. I have to realize that a 20 yr old today probably never heard an old '49 Mercury or '51 Ford in their hot rod prime. I promised myself that I would not touch the JCW exhaust--hopefully I keep the promise to myself. I may remove the resonator--maybe.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
Without the burbble and pop I wouldn't drive a MINI. It's part of the MINI heritage. The best way to eliminate it is to trade your MINI in for a Honda....not being brash, just giving true advise.
Actually, I believe that is being brash. Just because someone does not like a single, purely aesthetic feature of their modern MINI means that in your opinion they should ditch the car completely?

That is a little harsh.

I love my MINI, but there are things I wish were different. I wish the plastic on the door would not squeak when I pushed on it and I would like it if the direct injection on the motor did not tick so loudly, but that does not mean I want to sell her for another make...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Isn't the burble activated or enhanced when using sport mode? If so, the short answer is just don't use sport mode.

Wasn't the pop/burble removed initially for the first 2 or 3 years of the R56? If so, you *may* be able to have the older software version uploaded onto your car. But I have no idea if it can technically be downgraded to an older version, or if the dealer would even support that.

If all else fails, you can always add some beano to the gas tank

Last edited by JackMac; 07-12-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
jonhen
1st Gear
Well, I'm 49, not in my 20s And I've had a number of sports cars, as well as loud Harley-Davidsons over the years. I have absolutely no problem at all with loud, rumbling exhausts. "Well tuned" = "runs smooth", not "runs quiet".

What I can't stand is the intermittent, popping, farting sounds that to me, are an exact mimic of a backfire. And a backfire means: Your mix isn't right. It's something we'd spend hours tuning out, to get that loud, smooth rumble.

And I guess what I also don't get is I've had a '03, an '05, an '08... none of them ever made any noise even remotely like this. And what I further don't get... why is a completely artificial, ECU-induced sound so attractive? If I understand all the information correctly (and I freely admit that I might not), this sound has nothing to do with the actual engine performance, exhaust performance, etc. It's just a fake sound.

As for the Honda comment: Sorry. Never gonna happen. Give up my Mini's incredible handling, superb steering, awesome shifting, wonderful pep, and overall coolest styling of any car in the world? Never. I'll keep driving it even if I have to listen to loud rap music to drive out the farting.

I never meant to invoke any controversy over this. We all customize the heck out of our Minis, don't we? I was just fishing to see if anyone has information on how I can customize this noise away. I saw lots of posts on how people add the sound.. so surely someone must know how to get rid of it? It's just a personal preference.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
This is certainly the first complaint about pop & burble that I've ever heard! It makes it sound like it has something bigger than a 1.6. Most supercars and sports cars do it, and I personally love it. I don't think there's a way to get rid of it. I don't think ALTA would write a tune to get rid of it (since 99.99% of people love it). And it would be really hard to convince MINI to get rid of it too. Getting a new exhaust would make it more prominent. Has anyone told you that it sounds bad? I've never heard anyone say that, it literally makes all of my friends jealous.

It sounds awesome!
Agreed! You should hear a 458 pop and burble in race mode....crazy loud.

It's hilarious that people post DAILY on the Alta thread asking if they have unlocked the Pop and burble yet....lol hundreds of people would LOVE if their R56 did it. In my opinion it is very subtle on the '11's....the 05-06 R53's were MUCH louder, sounded like gunshots (the turbo muffles it quite a bit on th 56).

The whole reason mini got rid of the burble in 07 was because people complained about it on the 05-06 R53...there was actually a service bulletin out for it lol. Then they took it away and everyone complained that it doesn't burble, so they added it back to the '11. And they did the perfect compromise....only burble during sport mode.

But to answer the OP...no you can't get rid of it. You could just get a tune and the tuner could tune it out....but wait, you can't cuz you have an '11

Until someone figures out how to tune an '11......Enjoy it!!!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A suggestion for you: If it's less noticeable when Sport Mode is off, and you like the increased throttle response of Sport Mode, a Sprint Booster might be a solution. If you also like the steering feel of Sport Mode, well, I'm out of ideas!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
I don't think you can get rid of it. I wish I could trade you, I would love to have it....

Larry

Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I'd just like to know what causes it . . .

my 79 will send burble fans into ecstasy on a downshift with a big throaty burble

OK, WHY?

what causes it?

I've seen one source that says unburned fuel is sucked back up the exhaust and then ignites in the manifold?

Correct? {is that really good for the life of the car?}

and if you know that one, the next question is: what does DTM mean? As in DTM exhaust but I've also seen used as "dtm style mirrors" ????

You have 60 seconds to win the big prize . . .

Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Spooled
3rd Gear
The pop and burble is meant to convey a sense of sportiness to the driver. If you've ever been to an American LeMans or really any national race event, on deceleration, those race cars have some SERIOUS pop and burble. I don't believe anyone would say those cars are not tuned correctly. I understand the OP feelings on the subject, and that's cool, everyone has their own opinion. To me, the pop and burble plays on my emotions and makes me feel a bit more like a race car driver. Then again, I do tend to drive on the more spirited side. I feel it would diminish the character of my MINI somewhat if it wasn't there. For someone who is not a spirited driver, I can see not wanting the added noise. Not saying the OP is not a spirited driver, just another point of view. It is true, however, that it will take some time and money to rid of the pop and burble.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Spooled
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
and if you know that one, the next question is: what does DTM mean? As in DTM exhaust but I've also seen used as "dtm style mirrors" ????

DTM = Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters. It's a German race series, similar to the British Touring Car Championship, but the cars are much more loaded with aero parts. Common cars races are the Audi TT and Mercedes C Class. Usually the DTM exhausts have an upturned tip.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled post.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I'd just like to know what causes it . . .

my 79 will send burble fans into ecstasy on a downshift with a big throaty burble

OK, WHY?

what causes it?

I've seen one source that says unburned fuel is sucked back up the exhaust and then ignites in the manifold?

Correct? {is that really good for the life of the car?}

In a simple explanation: rather than shutting the injectors immediately after lift off...they are kept open for a split second...unburnt fuel then ignites. In addition, there are timing maps that are involved with it, timing is retarded quite a bit.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Spooled
The pop and burble is meant to convey a sense of sportiness to the driver. If you've ever been to an American LeMans or really any national race event, on deceleration, those race cars have some SERIOUS pop and burble. I don't believe anyone would say those cars are not tuned correctly. I understand the OP feelings on the subject, and that's cool, everyone has their own opinion. To me, the pop and burble plays on my emotions and makes me feel a bit more like a race car driver. Then again, I do tend to drive on the more spirited side. I feel it would diminish the character of my MINI somewhat if it wasn't there. For someone who is not a spirited driver, I can see not wanting the added noise. Not saying the OP is not a spirited driver, just another point of view. It is true, however, that it will take some time and money to rid of the pop and burble.
Why would you want to buy a MINI if you didn't want the spirited driving mystique? That is what boggles my mind

Old 07-12-2011, 03:37 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
+1 I love my P&B.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't like P&B?
Did you have a test drive in 2011 before ordering one?
Did the Dealer told you about P&B before you signed the list for order? Mine did! And I said: I would love that...
If you didn't like you should have gone for 2010 car, rather than 2011...
I put JCW exhaust on my 2011 Clubman, with in the first 1k of driving. The pipes were new (thanks Jim!) and it took a few weeks to brake them in and get THE sound...
My car sounds (and drives) great! With the button "on", fun really starts...

Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM
JCByrdman
1st Gear
The pop and burble is like rap or country or grundge music. You either REALLY enjoy it or despise it. Sometimes you can learn to like it.
Anyway, I heard that there will be a software update to remove this feature. My assumption would be you would need to request the update.
It's supposed to be out very soon but I don't know if all SA's would know this yet.

I wish the "option" was available to the standard Cooper. I had an S for a loaner and really dug the fun this "feature" added.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P&B, IMO, is part of the character of the car and I'm very happy they programmed it back in with the Sport Button. MINI assumed that MOST drivers who don't want P&B also don't use the Sport Button. Like others have said, I love the sound of real race cars on a track with the LOUD P&B, not the "fart cans" or "grapefruit launcher" noise from some cars.

Anyways, you are stuck until someone can figure out how to tune the revised '11 Cooper S engines It is unfortunate that you were unaware of this noise prior to purchasing (the test drive car lacked the noise?).

Last edited by walk0080; 07-12-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: R56 How to Eliminate the Backfire ("pop and burble")?