R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How to Eliminate the Backfire ("pop and burble")?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
In a simple explanation: rather than shutting the injectors immediately after lift off...they are kept open for a split second...unburnt fuel then ignites. In addition, there are timing maps that are involved with it, timing is retarded quite a bit.
don't explain much for a carb'd 79!

1275, 1.75" SU with K&N, LCB to a playmini stainless backpack and twin DTM . . .

Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCByrdman
The pop and burble is like rap or country or grundge music. You either REALLY enjoy it or despise it. Sometimes you can learn to like it.
Anyway, I heard that there will be a software update to remove this feature. My assumption would be you would need to request the update.
It's supposed to be out very soon but I don't know if all SA's would know this yet.
I spoke to an MA and he suggested MINI are programming it out of newer MINI's. No idea if that is true - but what are you thinking MINI??

Originally Posted by JCByrdman
I wish the "option" was available to the standard Cooper. I had an S for a loaner and really dug the fun this "feature" added.
I wish MINI Canada would even offer the Sport Button on the justa-Cooper. Here I am stuck with default throttle settings and auto-box shift mapping until my justa-Cooper lease is up.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:33 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
This is certainly the first complaint about pop & burble that I've ever heard!
In the US, MINIUSA eliminated pop & burble when the R56 came out, because many customers complained about it for the '05-'06 R53.

I don't mind the sound itself, but on principle I don't like it because it is an artificially induced fake adornment. Kinda like a fake hoodscoop.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I don't mind the sound itself, but on principle I don't like it because it is an artificially induced fake adornment. Kinda like a fake hoodscoop.
When you buy a MINI these days, you get the fake hood scoop, P&B and chav interior lighting - part of it's character, I guess.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The hood scoop is only fake if you want it to be. I dremeled out all the holes and the air getting sucked in there now is doing a great job of cooling down my engine.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj

1275, 1.75" SU with K&N, LCB to a playmini stainless backpack and twin DTM . . .
But a carb'd engine the idle circuit introduces the excess fuel that causes the pop and burble.

I wish I could get my '03 S to P&B. It just hums when I let off the gas. I'd trade you my hum for a good pop & burble any day!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Distilling it down another level...

it's an interaction between valve timing and ignition timing, and it takes some unburned fuel along the way to make a go of it. On a carb'ed 79, the unburned fuel is probably a given whether intended or not. Circa 79 and carbs, you could probably throw a smog pump on various motors (air injection pump into the exhaust manifold) as another opportunity to provide some fresh air for a secondary light off with some available fuel. On a newer motor, the game is now manipulating those three factors--valve timing, ignition timing and fuel. It's a "real sound" but artificially induced. Would typically have been a no-no in the earlier smog equipment days at stock (smog legal) tune, but presumably a modern cat system adapting with O2 sensors (and maybe delayed until cat operating temp is reached (also now short w/ converters up at the manifold)?) can handle it and still be EPA certified.

Last edited by MP1.6T; 07-12-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
And...

a "noisemaker" on the intake side for more faux sound effect too, at least on the second gen S's w/ the N14 motor.

Originally Posted by walk0080
When you buy a MINI these days, you get the fake hood scoop, P&B and chav interior lighting - part of it's character, I guess.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Deleted

(duplicate)

Last edited by MP1.6T; 07-12-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: duplicate of post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Note to jonhen and others who dislike the noise

I somewhat like the noise, but it truly is phony. It's nothing like the lovely, gutsy growl of my Ford of long-ago high school days.

If you want to keep the quicker acceleration of sport mode, but get less pop and burble:

Shift at low RPMs, 2,000 - 2,500.
Coast/brake to a stop. Don't use engine braking.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I get every once in awhile with my 07. I love it cause it reminds me of my Spec V. When I put my exhaust on that car it was loud and popped eerytime I change gears and after running on the freeway for a couple of hours it would gurggle all the way till I pulled it out of gear. I would love the pop and gurggle only if it shot a flame out which I am pretty is possible in the MINI. Even with out that I would love it. I like loud and obnoxious exhausts.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A lot of people are being a bit harsh imo just because he doesn't like P&B. I've driven a few R53's, some with exhausts, a JCW, a GP, and i love the pop that gives on decel. I haven't seen a '11 in person do it yet, just videos. Regardless, I bet very few on here would say that the R56 is perfect. Imo I love the way it drives, but i hate the quality control on some of the designs (as many of us have experienced problems with [clutch groans, timing chain tensioners, valve covers melting/warping, plastic door panels and rattles, etc etc]). But just because the car isn't perfect does NOT mean you don't want to keep the car/like the car. So because noone likes a timing chain issue on the car or the fact that their HPFP MAY die at some point, they should scrap the car and get a reliable honda? No obviously not.

To the OP: Since the '11 only activates the P&B (by leaving your injectors open for a split second after you lift off the throttle) with the sport button ON, and I know you like the sport button (as I never drive without it on, in fact mine turns on automatically via a relay I made), I would suggest trying to replicate what the sport button does without turning it on. I suggest this because aftermarket tunes will likely not adjust this issue, and no dealer will be able to adjust ecu settings to take this off. There maybe a TSB (technical service bulletin addressing techs how to do this in the future if too many people complain), however as of now, I don't see them moving anywhere quickly in the near future.

So, for throttle response, the sport button is nothing more than what a sprint booster does. It amplifies the throttle drive by wire signal, so the throttle is more sensitive to your foot's inputs. This can be done via a aftermarket tune as well, with and without the sport button on, however, if you're not looking for the increased power and boost as well, you may get some of the negatives (driveability/reliability issues).

As for steering feel being heavier, you could get an Alta PSRS, essentially a bushing that tightens up some slop in the steering. This may introduce some NVH (noise, vibration, hardness), but is an option. Other options would be to get a wider set of tires (215-225mm tread width), or use some spacers on the front wheels to widen the track of the car. These will essentially "require more effort to turn", which will give you the feeling of a tighter steering, as well as increased suspension handlings characteristics if done correctly.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 AM
jonhen
1st Gear
@ SooperCuperErik: I'm the OP, and I just wanted to say "Thanks!" for your balanced words and genuinely helpful suggestions. And now I want that relay that sets the car in Sport mode when I turn it on!

@oldsbear: That is also helpful. Although I've been playing around with shifting at 2,000 to 2,500 RPM in sport mode, and trying hard just never to let up off the gas. That combination reduces the farting a good deal on its own.

Reading through all of the posts in response, I will say I'm now trying to adjust to the sound. Part of my difficultly is that whenever I show off the car to friends/coworkers, etc, they always say, "What's with the backfiring? Did you get some bad gas? You got water in the tank?" etc. Then I have to explain, "Oh no, see, that's a sound that's supposed to sound like a racing car..." And then I get a lot of throat clearing and they think I'm insane.

I showed this whole thread to one of my coworkers who is a 60's car nut, and he said, "You people are all out of your minds. We try like hell to get rid of that sound... and you guys like to artificially add it back in?" So that didn't help my case much either

Lastly (and maybe I'll post this separately to start another long opinion thread!), I have similar feelings about the fake bonnet scoop. On my '05, I had a sticker on it that read "I have a FULLY FUNCTIONAL hood scoop". But after the '07 redo with the Turbo, keeping the bonnet scoop just seems like a pointless bit of fakery. I'd rather the bonnet be smooth and more streamlined, like a Just-A-Cooper.

Anyway, thanks for all the spirited responses. This is the most fun I've had on this forum in years!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jonhen
@ SooperCuperErik: I'm the OP, and I just wanted to say "Thanks!" for your balanced words and genuinely helpful suggestions. And now I want that relay that sets the car in Sport mode when I turn it on!

@oldsbear: That is also helpful. Although I've been playing around with shifting at 2,000 to 2,500 RPM in sport mode, and trying hard just never to let up off the gas. That combination reduces the farting a good deal on its own.

Reading through all of the posts in response, I will say I'm now trying to adjust to the sound. Part of my difficultly is that whenever I show off the car to friends/coworkers, etc, they always say, "What's with the backfiring? Did you get some bad gas? You got water in the tank?" etc. Then I have to explain, "Oh no, see, that's a sound that's supposed to sound like a racing car..." And then I get a lot of throat clearing and they think I'm insane.

I showed this whole thread to one of my coworkers who is a 60's car nut, and he said, "You people are all out of your minds. We try like hell to get rid of that sound... and you guys like to artificially add it back in?" So that didn't help my case much either

Lastly (and maybe I'll post this separately to start another long opinion thread!), I have similar feelings about the fake bonnet scoop. On my '05, I had a sticker on it that read "I have a FULLY FUNCTIONAL hood scoop". But after the '07 redo with the Turbo, keeping the bonnet scoop just seems like a pointless bit of fakery. I'd rather the bonnet be smooth and more streamlined, like a Just-A-Cooper.

Anyway, thanks for all the spirited responses. This is the most fun I've had on this forum in years!
No problem. Just to add a note about the new 8spd auto transmissions being used in Audis (which are the same based platform transmission in BMW's Merc's and other brands). If you watch a video of a B8 S4 or a B8 A4 exhaust (B8=chassis code, its 2009+), you'll hear on a hard acceleration upshift in the auto (which I will testify shifts as fast as lightning, essentially the same as DSG at this point), you'll hear a quick series of farts through the exhaust between gears. The reason is because of the speed of shifts, the ecu actually pulls timing for a split second between shifts to accodate for the quick shift and fast drop in RPMs. I was told this and was like WHAT?? and drove my brother's new B8 A4 with titanium package, and it definitely FARTS. Look it up on youtube, its actually kinda ridiculous. Its even more pronounced on the Supercharged V6 S4's. I'd rather have the pop and burble than this farting sound.

So, I guess when your friends comment about your P&B, just tell them at least you don't have the farts from a B8!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Part of my difficultly is that whenever I show off the car to friends/coworkers, etc, they always say, "What's with the backfiring? Did you get some bad gas? You got water in the tank?" etc. Then I have to explain, "Oh no, see, that's a sound that's supposed to sound like a racing car..." And then I get a lot of throat clearing and they think I'm insane.
I'm starting a new rule - people who have never heard the exhaust coming from a Coutryman WRC or MINI Challenge car are NOT allowed to be riding in my future JCW! hehe

I get a lot of that response from some people when I talk about my MINI... some people get it, others don't... People roll their eyes when I tell them I would prefer spending $$$ on a JCW over a 6,000lb SUV. People think I'm nuts that I don't need a trunk that will fit a hockey rucksack (I don't play hockey people!!). But that's a different rant

Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
No problem. Just to add a note about the new 8spd auto transmissions being used in Audis (which are the same based platform transmission in BMW's Merc's and other brands). If you watch a video of a B8 S4 or a B8 A4 exhaust (B8=chassis code, its 2009+), you'll hear on a hard acceleration upshift in the auto (which I will testify shifts as fast as lightning, essentially the same as DSG at this point), you'll hear a quick series of farts through the exhaust between gears. The reason is because of the speed of shifts, the ecu actually pulls timing for a split second between shifts to accodate for the quick shift and fast drop in RPMs. I was told this and was like WHAT?? and drove my brother's new B8 A4 with titanium package, and it definitely FARTS. Look it up on youtube, its actually kinda ridiculous. Its even more pronounced on the Supercharged V6 S4's. I'd rather have the pop and burble than this farting sound.

So, I guess when your friends comment about your P&B, just tell them at least you don't have the farts from a B8!
I'm very happy MINIs don't fart.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
+ 10 for the tradition of Snap Crackle and Pop !
I removed my JCW center resonator and it pops and snaps so damn loud drivers around me can hear it thru their closed windows

If I wanted a car that sounded like a Prius, I would have bought one.....just sayin.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
MINI is on track to sell nearly 60K vehicles in the US this year. Add European and Asian sales, and that is a lot of customers with diverse needs and preferences to keep happy.

MINI tries to provide a variety of products and customization options, to give us choice. They do produce an expanding range of vehicles, including versions which don't P&B and without non-functional hood scoops, specifically the Cooper.

I totally understand that the P&B of the 2011 S bothers the OP. For me, I love the P&B on my '06 R53 and R56 JCW. There are aspects of the R53 and R56 that I don't like as well. But on whole, these cars provide tremendous fun, a great automotive community, and overall driving enjoyment. This is why many of us keep coming back for more.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Name:  100_0017.jpg
Views: 2279
Size:  25.8 KB

one of my fav' shirts

Old 07-13-2011, 06:44 PM
robinj
3rd Gear

one of my fav' shirts
+10.

And coming from a family that produces a lot of methane, a car with flatulence is very fitting for me. 'nuff said.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 AM
scottjays
1st Gear
Why would you buy a S if you didn't like the pop/gurgle?? The pop's are the sole reason I bought a S over the standard MC.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM
TurboSnail
Neutral
I love that sound! My 06 S had it and it was so addicting. I wish my 07 S had it too.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM
ThatMiNiGuy
3rd Gear
So how do us 07' S guys get it? :(

Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
And coming from a family that produces a lot of methane, a car with flatulence is very fitting for me. 'nuff said.
We've kidded about that over on the MG forums... one of my favorite thread titles being, "I'm getting a funny noise from my rear end." Odd, EVERYBODY wants to respond to those...

Cheers,

Spridget

Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Cred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
The hood scoop is only fake if you want it to be. I dremeled out all the holes and the air getting sucked in there now is doing a great job of cooling down my engine.
Do you have photos or a write up of this mod? How much cooler does it keep your engine?

Originally Posted by walk0080
I spoke to an MA and he suggested MINI are programming it out of newer MINI's. No idea if that is true - but what are you thinking MINI??
I hope they don't lose the p/b before I get my 2012. My wife and I love the sound and are ordering on in September, hopefully for a November arrival.

I agree with the foolishness of the fake bonnet scoop. I do like the idea of modifying it to make it more functional.
I hope you find an answer to your quest to quiet or eliminate your p/b. It's a shame to have to such a noticeable programmed sound that irritates you during your motoring. I hope it works out for you with a positive result.

Quick Reply: R56 How to Eliminate the Backfire ("pop and burble")?