R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 a few ?s before buying 1st mini

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 AM
sparky333
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few ?s before buying 1st mini

I'm looking at the 2011 hardtop (non-s) and have a few questions, mostly about aesthetics/options - not sure if this is the correct place for this kind of post.

When we test drove I liked the sunroof - it felt like it made the interior seem roomier. But other than putting in some kind of shade it must get pretty hot inside in the summer. Any issues with that?

Do black bonnet stripes look good on the British racing green? It's a little hard to tell in pictures I've been able to find online. Obviously there's not a huge contrast, but I don't want white so...wondering if it's worth it or just too subtle to really see?

Is the English oak interior surface for door and dash real wood or just wood-look laminate? And if real, is it a nice touch or not so much?
I'm interested in the chrome line interior but our MA advised against that with the
white or silver dash - she said it looks better against the black dash trim or wood.

And how about the chrome line interior - is it nice or does it just show fingerprints a lot or seem plasticky?

And one more -- there are two roof spoilers that are options on the website - one for $250 and one for $359 that looks more substantial. Any opinion on either of them - the smaller one seems like why bother but is the bigger one okay on the hardtop or look better on other models?

There weren't tons of configurations on cars on the lot at the dealer we're going to so a lot of it I'm just trying to envision from what's online & in the brochure. Not so easy.

I know these are all totally subjective but just looking for any feedback anyone would care to give.
Thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Hi, and welcome to NAM! I'll answer any I have experience with.
We have had the sunroof on all 3 of ours. I really like it and I do drive with it open as much as possible, if not open then at least vented up. I have a solid vinyl sunroof graphic getting put on my '11 when it gets here so I won't be able to see out anymore and the sun will be blocked. I had nothing on my '06 and living in the south it did get pretty hot, but I guess I'm used to heat and don't really care. I keep the mesh shade pulled and that helps, kind of like a pergola over a deck .
The factory black bonnet stripes have a white pinstripe along the sides so the stripes stand out. I really like the black bonnet stripes on the BRG, especially with a black roof.
I had chrome line interior on my '06. I never noticed fingerprints being an issue. I had it with a dark grey interior.
I had an MCS with the S spoiler so not sure about the options for the Justa, sorry.
Good luck with your build!

Annette

Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 AM
sparky333
1st Gear
Thanks Annette --
I think since i've never - and I mean NEVER - opened the sunroof in any car I've had one in I should forego it in this one. The main pro to it was the light & airy feeling it gave the interior, but we drove it on a not-super-bright day. Other versions I've had have all had a sliding cover that totally blocked the sun not just the screen like on the mini, so....
I think it's $1000 I can use elsewhere - now back to the drawing board to figure out where....

And so the chrome - did you think it added to your look, are you getting it again?

I do think I'll go with the black bonnet stripes.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I'm doing a totally different MCS this time. On my '06 I had Chrome line on the interior and exterior. I really liked it on that car.
This time I'm blacking out everything, so while I liked it on my '06 (which was a PW/B) I'm not doing it on my '11, (Horizon Blue/Black).

Annette

Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
- Sunroof does get pretty hot and be prepared to possibly experience some noise and rattle issues with it and the insufficient roller shades.
- Totally subjective, but I prefer White with BRG.
- I'd guess with very high likelihood that the Oak is a veneer with plastic laminate.
- I don't like chrome, but I think it would look decent with the '11 black trim. Nicer contrast than the matte silver trim I have.
- I'd prefer the standard $250 spoiler. Maybe just get the sport package!

Old 03-13-2011, 02:11 PM
sparky333
1st Gear
Thanks again - the opinions are very much appreciated.
I'm not used to making so many decisions buying a car!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Check out page 34 of the BRG thread. Lots of great pics(takes a few to load the page)of factory stripes as well as some cool aftermarkets. Oh and pay attention to the year of the car if it is noted. The color changed in 2010, so the new color is different and is called British Racing Green 2. So a pic of an '06 for example will be the old green. Someone may correct me on the date of the change, I'm not totally sure when they changed. But I will say I like the new BRG2 much better. It was a toss up for me on ordering that or Horizon Blue. I finally flipped a coin to decide .

Annette

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...thread-34.html

Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM
sparky333
1st Gear
Thanks for the link. I had started to check out that thread but never got as far as the 34th page. That helps to see BRG with different stripe configurations - and also the rear spoiler was clearly visible in several shots.

My head's exploding from all of this. Just wanna buy it and start driving! My husband will be either happy or sad that I won't be letting him do the chauffeuring all the time anymore

Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
I'm a sunroof fan myself... being as my other car spends most of its time with the top down, the sunroof is the closest I can get with the MINI.

Note that the 2011 models have a darker tint on the sunroof glass than before, so if you're concerned about heat, that might make a difference to you. I use the scrolling sunshade on my 2010 MCS through most of the summer... at least when the sun's directly overhead, and on the hotter days. It works okay, but there are times when even the glare through the screen is a bit annoying. I've just learned to live with it...

I've suggested to my wife that I'm sort of like a dog when it comes to motoring (I love the fresh air and breeze), and she's more of a cat (windows up, AC on, and ready for the trip to be over).

Cheers,

Spridget

Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 AM
sparky333
1st Gear
Haha - I think I'm more like your wife in that regard.
Do not enjoy the wind in my hair and not known to hang out the window with my tongue flapping either.

Last edited by sparky333; 03-14-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: typo!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd opt for aftermarket stripes.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Sunroof

I have the double sunroof on my 2010 Clubman and LOVE them. I, however, am sensitive to the sunlight, so I purchased the Zippee Shade and am getting ready to install them for the hotter weather soon to come. They are inexpensive and removable and you can get a good price in them thru Nam group buy. I saved about $10! They totally block the sun, but they guarantee you can open your sunroof and they will not come off...best of both worlds, ya know?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 AM
romille
3rd Gear
As I think someone else said, the 2011 sunroof has a darker tint. They went from 30% light penetration to 10%. It makes a huge difference! My 2011 is quite comfortable, although I do have roof stripes that block even more light. Yesterday was our warmest day so far this year; I got in my husband's 2010 and was shocked at how hot it was. You might be surprised at how well the change in tint helps. But if it is still an issue for you, you can always get some Zippee shades. I love the 2011 sunroof though!

Black racing stripes look great on BRG w/ black roof, but as you said, there isn't a lot of contrast. If you want them to stand out more you could get some with a silver edge. Don't let the dealer do your stripes, find a good stripe guy. If you happen to be within driving distance of NC I can recommend someone.

The chrome interior is nice, and doesn't show finger prints too badly. It was one of those things I thought I didn't really care about, but every car on the lot seemed to have it. The chrome just looks like it belongs there and I am glad I have it. The only part of it that I really touch a lot is around the radio where I have a tendency to rest some fingers while I fiddle with buttons. Doesn't look bad at all.

One thing that I really wish I had is the auto rain sensor. I bought off the lot, and every time it rains I feel a new wave of regret that I didn't have the patience to order one spec'd the way I wanted. The wipers always seem too fast or too slow.

I nabbed this photo from Google, I think these have a white border:

Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
NOT getting BRG, english oak and chrome interior are my regrets with my mini.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
CaptainSteve
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sparky333
Thanks Annette --
I think since i've never - and I mean NEVER - opened the sunroof in any car I've had one in I should forego it in this one.
I never used the sunroof on previous cars either, however I find I'm always using it in my MCS. Not fully open just venting, not sure why.

I just bought my MCS in December so can't comment on how hot it will be in the summer, we'll see in a few months

I have the chrome line interior in mine and like it. I don't notice finger prints or other smudges on it much at all, now my piano black trim is a different story

Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Oh. About the heat. I had mine limo tinted on the pano roof. There is a cool set of blinds someone sells to.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
To me, the chrome line interior just looked more classy in a dark interior compared with the dull, silver-ish normal lining. Have not noticed fingerprinting issues...

Old 03-18-2011, 05:46 AM
sparky333
1st Gear
Thanks a lot for all of the input.
Am definitely going BRG, oak trim (real wood not plastic I was assured by the dealer ), and the chrome line interior. Also, the bonnet stripes - black with the edging (is it white or silver, not sure).

Still on the fence about the sunroof. Glad to hear the tint has been upped for 2011 and if we get them the sun might not be that big a deal.

Last decision is the little roof spoiler. I thought the bigger vented one looked cuter but our MA said it's done at the dealership, not factory and has to be painted etc. and she is just not a big fan.

So anyone think the little spoiler adds $250 worth of umph or is it not worth it?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
The pinstripes on the MINI bonnet stripes are white. Of course you can do the stripes aftermarket for less money and choose whatever you want. If you have some time and are fairly patient you can do them yourself. I added pinstripes to my factory stripes (on the Pepper White I had) since you couldn't really see the white pinstripes on the PW bonnet, I added black pinstripes.
I like the standard spoiler. I'm not as familiar with the non-S, so if you don't order one of those spoilers does it just have nothing?
Here' a link to Aesthetic Creations, you can buy stripes from him and install them yourself or have a nearby sign shop or graphics place install them. Usually comes out cheaper than the MINI ones.
http://www.aestheticreations.net/bon...otstripes1.htm
Annette

Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 AM
sparky333
1st Gear
I think since we're leasing we'd want to avoid after-market stuff like that - maybe that's even part of the lease contract?
But I do like the black bonnet w/white pinstripe mini does so that'll work for me.

Yeah, with non-S if you don't buy the little spoiler is has nothing so...to me it looks a little unfinished with nothing. I guess I'll do the spoiler. Haha - funny how writing the question on a post helps me figure out I already know the answer. Unless I got the response "no, they suck, they fall off, they're hideous" then I'd rethink!

Were you saying in another thread you have the front euro license plate attached only mangetically? No problems falling off?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:35 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
No, my front license plate was attached with heavy duty double sided mounting tape .
Did the trick for 4 years or so.
Annette

Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 AM
romille
3rd Gear
I prefer the standard factory spoiler, but then it is a matter of your taste and budget. And vinyl stripes are completely removable so you don't have to worry. Just stay away from the reflective ones. I know people that had them on for years and they came off without any issue.

Like BoCRon said, skip stripes from the dealer and get them done elsewhere. It will be cheaper and you will have more options. Chances are they will look better too, if it is anything like the dealers around here. The dealers here just crank out one car after another and don't care how the stripes look. I have seen them leave exposed jagged edges, stop short, and other things like that. They also refuse to take the time to put stripes through your scoop (curvy parts take more effort/time). I guess you don't have to worry about that with a non-S, but it shows you how little they care.

For instance... they generally seem to want $175 to slap a simple stripe on your bonnet. Not through the scoop or on the bumper, just the bonnet. And I think it is $150 for the boot. Again, not bumper, just slapping a stripe on the boot. These things take maybe 30 minutes or so each. Yet I had my Clubman (longer and boot is more difficult) striped completely... front bumper, bonnet through the scoop, roof, and boot AND the boot of my husband's MCS done for $300-something. It took +4.5hrs. At the dealer that would have been much much more expensive and it wouldn't have been done like I wanted.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM
sparky333
1st Gear
So -- showing my stupidity -- when you do a build and order bonnet stripes it's not a factory thing, they're put on by the dealer when they take delivery of the car?

And if that's true then you're saying they might not do a good job, I should find another place to have them done?

I envisioned it coming from the factory with stripes done there.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 AM
sparky333
1st Gear
Strong tape!!
And it doesn't leave a mark when the tag's removed?
I really like those tags but like you I wouldn't want to permanently mount one.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM
adude007
2nd Gear
My $0.02 on the sunroof. It is noisy. Its not so noisy as to ruin the ability to listen to music or talk to people in the car or on a phone handset. But is noisy enough that given the location of the Bluetooth microphone I cant use my Bluetooth phone at above 40 mph(open or closed.)

The way I sit in the car if I have the roof open & shade open on a sunny day I need to wear a visor because the sun always hits me a just the right angle.

Overall I enjoy having the sunroof. I might see what else my dollars could get me next time though.

Quick Reply: R56 a few ?s before buying 1st mini