R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Where is 2007 MCS MAF Sensor?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM
bennyG19
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is 2007 MCS MAF Sensor?

I'd like to clean it but not sure where to look.
Thanks

Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you have a code, i wouldnt touch it... I am assuming you dont have an aftermarket air filter (otherwise you would know where the MAF is), so i am going to assume you are still using the OEM filter, which is a dry filter which also means that the MAF shouldnt be covered in oil...

Now, if you are cleaning it because of a code, I also suggest you look at your filter to make sure its not too dirty or if there is a gaping hole. Also, make sure you buy proper MAF cleaner... MAFs are sensitive (and expensive) parts.

Its part number 13, in conjunction with 17 and 15. Its a hard plastic tube that connects your boost tube to your airbox/filter. Diagram can be confusing so its just easiest to follow from your turbo -> boost tube -> MAF -> airbox. gl

Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I believe it's no different than my '10...it's the part that attaches to the airbox, left side of the car, where the MAF connector attaches.

Attached Thumbnails Where is 2007 MCS MAF Sensor?-b0031135.jpg  
Old 09-25-2010, 10:50 AM
bennyG19
1st Gear
i took that tube out but couldn't figure out a good way to spray the MAF cleaner in there without leaving a big puddle and it looked really clean anyway. the filter was brand new. we just bought this car with 57k miles on it so i thought i'd clean it but i don't think it needed it.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:41 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pillar
Unless you have a code, i wouldnt touch it... I am assuming you dont have an aftermarket air filter (otherwise you would know where the MAF is), so i am going to assume you are still using the OEM filter, which is a dry filter which also means that the MAF shouldnt be covered in oil...

Now, if you are cleaning it because of a code, I also suggest you look at your filter to make sure its not too dirty or if there is a gaping hole. Also, make sure you buy proper MAF cleaner... MAFs are sensitive (and expensive) parts.

Its part number 13, in conjunction with 17 and 15. Its a hard plastic tube that connects your boost tube to your airbox/filter. Diagram can be confusing so its just easiest to follow from your turbo -> boost tube -> MAF -> airbox. gl
May I presume that if one does buy an aftermarket air filter the MAF would need attention or modification??? I'm puzzled.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by investigator
May I presume that if one does buy an aftermarket air filter the MAF would need attention or modification??? I'm puzzled.
The MAF is just a really sensitive sensor. I dont know how one would modify it... just keep it as it is. The only way to modify it is to change the tubing around it ie

Depends on the aftermarket air filter. If its dry, most likely not. If the filter has oil, just make sure it isnt dripping when you install it.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Maf

Originally Posted by pillar
The MAF is just a really sensitive sensor. I dont know how one would modify it... just keep it as it is. The only way to modify it is to change the tubing around it ie

Depends on the aftermarket air filter. If its dry, most likely not. If the filter has oil, just make sure it isnt dripping when you install it.
So no matter what cold air intake one might install the MAF needs no adjustments based on the new CAI?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by investigator
So no matter what cold air intake one might install the MAF needs no adjustments based on the new CAI?
The actual MAF sensor is in the tube. The car requires it. Therefore there is no need to modify it. The only way to modify it is to move the entire tube (with MAF) to a different location. When these aftermarket parts suggest some that modding the MAF is required, all they mean is you may either be repositioning the wire (that connects to the MAF) or relocated the MAF (and its tube) to a different position.

To answer your question, it depends on the CAI. The M7 Super AGS I know for a fact (I got one), requires that the MAF and its tube be twisted slightly. I dont consider this modding but its the only example I can think of.

Follow the directions, you should be fine. What CAI are you considering that is causing such confusion?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Maf

I have been fooling with cars for 50 years. Before mass air flow sensors there were carburetors. If you modified anything on the engine there were other things that you had to adjust. For example: Many years ago I had an Austin Healy Sprite. I shaved the head .100". By doing this I increased compression ratio and so had to adjust the timing to prevent detonation. If I increased horsepower via supercharging I would have had to increase fuel flow which would have required a higher flow fuel pump, etc etc. It is very surprising to me that a mass air flow sensor needs no adjustment after one installs a cold air intake which allows less restrictive air flow. So if you're getting more air into the engine it would seem to me to keep the air to fuel ratio as close as possible to the perfect 14:1, air to fuel, there would have to be an adjustment somewhere. From what I'm understanding, any CAI could be put on an R56 engine and it would run just like it did before installing the CAI.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The way I understand it, the MAF is an instrument that measures the "mass" of air passing through it. This measurement is sent to the engine management computer (ECU) so that an appropriate amount of fuel (14:1 ratio you refer to) can be calculated and the fuel injectors are controlled to deliver that amount of fuel. If my understanding is correct then it would seem logical that if an aftermarket CAI increases the airflow, the MAF will measure it and the ECU will know it and adjust the amount of fuel delivered to the engine. Now I'm sure it isn't quite that simple but I believe the concept is generally true.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Maf

Thanks for the explanation. I thought maybe that was how it worked but not having messed with modern cars with all their electronics I wanted someone who knows what they're talking about to confirm my theory. You explanation seems perfectly logical and thanks again for taking the time to update this old guy. Cheers.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Blazermaniac
1st Gear
If the r56 has the p115c error code, how do you clean the maf? Just spray inside the tube without taking the housing apart?