R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anybody regret not having the Cold Weather package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 AM
MaDeviant
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody regret not having the Cold Weather package?

Im shopping for a R56 and ive found a couple that have all the packages and colors I want but they all seem to be lacking the Cold Weather. If im correct all it is is. Heated Washers, Heated seats, and Heated mirrors right??

Old 03-07-2009, 06:41 AM
jw34
6th Gear
Correct. And the heated seats alone are worth the package!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 AM
coyle996
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
Correct. And the heated seats alone are worth the package!
+1

Mirrors and washers are not a huge deal, but he is right heated seats are awesome.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Joey D
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the heated seats are the best thing about my car, especially on mornings where it's below zero. I don't really need the heated mirrors or washer nozzles since my car lives in a garage but hey they are there for the few times they come in handy.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Roderick
2nd Gear
It never gets that cold here in sunny Southern California, so I put my money into premium options like multi-function steering wheel, dual pane sunroof, automatic air conditioning, 16" alloy wheels, bridge spoke, steptronic transmission, chrome line interior, comfort Bluetooth and USB/iPod and white turn signal lights.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 AM
heli_guy
2nd Gear
If it get's cold in your area, the heated seats are a must in my opinion... Especially if you get anything other then cloth seats.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 AM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by coyle996
+1

Mirrors and washers are not a huge deal, but he is right heated seats are awesome.
Another +1 for the heated seats!
I am not sure what difference the heated washers make. My windshield still freezes up and has to defrost on really cold mornings and spraying fluid on it only adds to the freeze.

But, oh how I love those heated seats. And less than 5 minutes from home I have to turn it down a notch because it cooks my butt!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Roderick
2nd Gear
Correct! I had the heaters on my Mini when I lived in Illinois, but since I moved to Cali, I haven't needed them on my new Clubman.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 AM
alanmcs
1st Gear
Having the cold weather package-a definate

The Cold Weather Package was the best investment I made. The Bun Warmers, I will never have another car without them. The folding mirrors come in handy around Metro NY. Heated washer nozzles and heated mirrors give you no clue that they are working. The point is they do. Noted in the previous post, the fluid may freeze up again after they squirt, but they always do.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 AM
kreative
4th Gear
love the heated seats, even here in norcal.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
I don't regret getting it, its was a must have in cold climates on any car. And especially on the Mini, since the car seams to get particularly cold compared to others I've had, in the morning (although it heats up very fast).

That being said the heated seats suck in comparison to others I've had, yes they get hot quick, and fully heat your body, but there is no comfortable low setting to leave it on, no matter what I have it set on it eventually gets too hot and has to be turned off. In my allroad (which has 6 settings) I can leave it on 1 or 2 almost all winter and its warm to comfortable hot, which is nice if your back is bothering you.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I'm a sheep following the herd. I would not be with out my heated seats. Up here in the PNW it gets pretty cold, I love getting in the car pushing the button and knowing that soon I will have nice warm Buns!!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I skimped on the cold weather package in my R53 (and it was only $250 back then) and I've regretted it every single day of the last 3 winters. I didn't make the same mistake with my newly ordered R56.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM
berto
3rd Gear
Add me to the list of loving the heated seats. I am so glad my sales guy 'highly recommended' that I get them

Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 AM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had the butt warmers in my previous 2 cars (both Lexus), but I decided that it was a luxury I could do without in the 08 MINI. Option cost was $500 for the seats alone, as I recall. Save a few bucks to spend on something else, that was my thinking.

WRONG!!

I got the standard leatherette upholstery, and I love it. But man, is it frigid on a -20 degree (celsius) Canadian morning! Like sitting on a frozen block of ice.

Not getting heated seats is the only regret I have about my MINI build.

If you're even thinking about the heated seats, you probably need them. Just add them to your order, and no regrets! Skimp on something else.

Curiously I have the heated washers and mirrors - standard in Canada, perhaps?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:30 PM
mansize
3rd Gear
Yes the heated mirrors and washers I believe are standard on Canadian spec. cars. I wish heated seats were also standard (it would make sense) because I refused to order the sunroof on my new MCS, and the sunroof package is the only way to get heated seats. I will miss them a little, currently have heated seats on the R50 Cooper, and I do use them semi-regularly.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Heck No....No seriously NO I plan on living anywhere it gets cold. If it gets below 70 I am reaching for the sweater. So I would be a complete waste for me to have the Cold weather package but, the heated seats would be nice so I would not have to run the heater with the windows down but meh I still do need the package.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chimera
I skimped on the cold weather package in my R53 (and it was only $250 back then) and I've regretted it every single day of the last 3 winters. I didn't make the same mistake with my newly ordered R56.
Agreed - we got the CW package on both of our MINIs, even though coastal Virginia isn't exactly the frozen tundra of the North by any stretch.

The MINIs are the first cars we've owned with "butt-warmers", and we'll never own another car without them.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I don't have the cold weather package... but I do have heated seats.

The other stuff, I haven't found a need or a want for this year.. but the heated seats are a Godsend. They work really well, heat up pretty quick and almost replace the need for a heater in the car at all...

If you have a friend that has back problems... or um... female complaints... they'll love the heated seats too. When I have back problems, I go for a drive. It helps a lot!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:16 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Despite going through a winter with some colder 0-20 degree days, I did not terribly miss the cold weather package or the heated seats. For the entire winter I had the Auto AC set to 78 and I let it do its thing. Within 10 minutes hot air is blasting at my feet. After 15 min the cabin is nice and toasty.

I think there is also something about the leatherette seats that seems to retain heat nicely as well. As a result I this winter's been OK without the cold weather package.

Now, would it have been nice to have the Cold Weather Package for $500? Absolutely. Am I devastated that I didn't get it? Absolutely not.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Matoskah
2nd Gear
Wow, I'm really in the minority because I have the cold weather package and never use the heated seats because they are way too hot for me, even on the low setting. I live in central PA and it's been a pretty cold winter too. My car is garaged but it's not heated. I probably won't get the package on the next one.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:27 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Matoskah
Wow, I'm really in the minority because I have the cold weather package and never use the heated seats because they are way too hot for me, even on the low setting. I live in central PA and it's been a pretty cold winter too. My car is garaged but it's not heated. I probably won't get the package on the next one.
There have been other cases of peoples' heated seats being way too hot, even on the lowest setting. The dealer can adjust them.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 03-07-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Best Option Available

If you don't get any other options, you must get the heated seats!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
ElNino
1st Gear
I also use them very rarely mainly due to this little blurb in my Men's Health Magazine:

No man wants to freeze his butt off in a cold car, but if you're focused on becoming a father, you just might need to suck it up. Heated car seats can sabotage a man's sperm, say German researchers. In their study, men who spent an hour planted in heated seats experienced a significant spike in ******** temperature, from an average of 95° to 99.14°F. Considering the fact that sperm production can begin to suffer at temps above 96.8°F, it's possible that heated seats can hinder fertility, according to the study researchers.

No I know Mens Health isn't exactly the most reliable of sources, but being newly married, I'm not taking any chances

I must admit though, the day after a 2 day volleyball tournament when your back feels like it's made of brittle clay - the heated seats work wonders!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ElNino
I also use them very rarely mainly due to this little blurb in my Men's Health Magazine:

No man wants to freeze his butt off in a cold car, but if you're focused on becoming a father, you just might need to suck it up. Heated car seats can sabotage a man's sperm, say German researchers. In their study, men who spent an hour planted in heated seats experienced a significant spike in ******** temperature, from an average of 95° to 99.14°F. Considering the fact that sperm production can begin to suffer at temps above 96.8°F, it's possible that heated seats can hinder fertility, according to the study researchers.

No I know Mens Health isn't exactly the most reliable of sources, but being newly married, I'm not taking any chances

I must admit though, the day after a 2 day volleyball tournament when your back feels like it's made of brittle clay - the heated seats work wonders!
Goody, I don't wanna be a dad... +1 for heated seats.

Quick Reply: R56 Anybody regret not having the Cold Weather package?