R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Halloween horror story (or Murphy kickin me when I'm down)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Kiyofox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halloween horror story (or Murphy kickin me when I'm down)

Obviously this involves my mini, Jade, so those that are frightened of hearing about the pain and suffering of someone else's mini may want to skip to the next thread...

Still here? Okay, here is the deal.
On 10-31-07 I got the wonderful news that my department at work was being downsized.
Already my day was off to a great start. So, since I had the rest of the day free, I decided to swing by costco and pick up a few household supplies I had been lacking. Among the items I bought was one of those very large containers of liquid laundry detergent. I'm sure you can see where this is going.
So, cut to me pulling into my parking spot at home. As soon as I turn off the car I hear "glugg...glugg...glugg..glugg". Immediately I panicked and jumped out to go open the boot. Sure enough my worst fear was realized...the detergent had fallen on its side and the lid popped off...AND WAS POURING OUT IN THE BOOT OF MY MINI!!!!
Oh man was I *pissed*! So after I managed to get ahold of myself, I went about the task of trying to clean up the mess. It looked like about 1 or 2 liters of the liquid soap had emptied, since the container was still half full. Thankfully the boot is one of the lowest points in the car, so most of the liquid pooled in the little recess that holds the jack.
Since I have an S, the plug in the boot that would hold the securing bolt for the spare tire just leads to an empty hole, I was able to flush out the majority of the soap thru there. At one point I had a garden hose just pouring water straight into the boot to wash it out.
One small saving grace was that only a small portion of the soap got on the trim outside of the boot cover. (the hard plastic square pieces that covers the jack, think it is called the 'non slip boot cover'?)
So...after spending two hours spraying down the boot (INSIDE the car mind you) and cleaning up the soap residue, I believe I got it almost back to original condition. In the process I did have to take off the plastic molding that covers the boot latch, and had to extensively clean the toolkit and the cargo netting.
I am STILL trying to get all the soap out of the boot cover, but I think it may be less hassle to just toss that one out and get a new one (since list price on one of those is only like $32). I might point out also that my mini is not even two weeks old. But I suppose this is like getting the first ding, eh?
That was my Halloween treat this year.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Oh man...that's awful. I'm sorry that happened to you. I guess that's testimony to how important use of the cargo net is when you're taking the twisties on the way home from CostCo.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM
minicounter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kiyofox
That was my Halloween treat this year.
Trick?

Sorry to hear... glad you were able to get it cleaned up. At least is was clean stuff and not their gallon sized mayo or pickles!! Good to know about the 'drain hole' - hope I never have to use it!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at the bright side of all this--you'll have a sweet smelling car for all eternity! And you must be in pretty good spirits after your "down-sizing" because you called the jug half FULL.

Seriously, though--I'd complain to the detergent manufacturer about the cap that "popped off." Things happen, jugs get tipped over--the cap should have stayed put. At least claim for the boot cover, but I'd tell them how pissed I was--and wouldn't have put it in quite such a mild mannered way. But that's just me.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Seriously, though--I'd complain to the detergent manufacturer about the cap that "popped off." Things happen, jugs get tipped over--the cap should have stayed put. At least claim for the boot cover, but I'd tell them how pissed I was--and wouldn't have put it in quite such a mild mannered way. But that's just me.
They might try to placate you by offering you free detergent for life. Cheaper than a lawsuit for $100,000 for the pain and suffering for having witnessed your MINI under suds attack !

Last edited by CR&PW&JB; 11-02-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man -what a bummer...I'm sorry... Sweet smelling MINI though eh?

Donna

Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Ouch. That's rough. I've cleaned up many a detergent spill in my day, though none in the car. (Ah, the joys of retail.)

Now I'm thinking about putting the rubber boot mat on my Christmas list.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
That really sucks! I'm with the other poster who said to contact the detergent manufacturer.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the bright side, at least it was laundry detergent instead of bleach. . . .

Old 11-03-2007, 05:57 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just be glad that it wasnt BLEACH that spilled.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
After reading this, I just ordered the rubber boot mat for under $50 at morristownmini. My nightmare has always been spillage of oils and sauces from the korean food my mother-in-law keeps making us take home.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 AM
TOPLABDOG
2nd Gear
Just be glad it was not a gallon of milk. I never got the smell out of my last car. Lesson was ALL liquids in sealed plastic bags

Old 11-03-2007, 02:41 PM
KXLight
2nd Gear
Think about it this way, if it's other cars and not a MINI, it'll be a lot more work cleaning up the big trunk!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:28 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Yeah, but he wouldn't have been cornering so fast, and dumped it over!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:10 PM
chiki143
2nd Gear
I so can relate to your pain in your spilled laundry detergent....but in another way. On August 8th (just over a month after delivery of Scarlett), I was at my Mom's and just about to leave. I had my door open and was standing outside Scarlett talking to Mom who was in her garage about to leave as well. Suddenly, the neighbors dog comes running over. My husband had been fearful that the dog would come running over and jump up on Scarlett scratching her paint. I could see it all coming to life and felt his fears would become reality. NOPE! Boy was I wrong! Instead, stupid dog jumped into Scarlett and ran from driver to passenger seat PEEING the whole entire time. ACK! Now my cloth/leather seats are soiled with dog pee. I used an upholstery stain remover on them and febreezed Scarlett good. I was most concerned about residual effects, especially in the 100 degree Florida heat. Evidentally I did a pretty good job because there is no staining or foul smells to be had. Sounds like you did a pretty good clean up job as well. If these are the worse that we have to worry with on our MINIs then I think we are pretty lucky.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:14 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Did you kill the dog?

Old 11-04-2007, 03:00 PM
miniemee
3rd Gear
I stopped using the cargo net right after I got it. I found it takes away too much space. Instead two old fashion plastic milk box / crates fit back there perfectily and nothing bounces around.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:03 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Do you have the side nets? I don't find them in the way, and they do hold jugs of whatever flavor. In fact, my MA even told me to carry milk there.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM
miniemee
3rd Gear
I still have the nets but the milk cartons work perfectly. It gives space for tire pumps tools etc and nothing bounces around.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Did you kill the dog?
+1

...with extreme prejudice.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:44 PM
nlscooby
2nd Gear
Wow....I can relate to your pain. We had a gallon of bleach spill in the back of my Honda Accord hatchback....the carpets turned white and then flaked away.

My mom was going to a dinner party and had a tray of sushi open up and spill all over the trunk of her new 300ZX convertible! (dang, that's a lot funnier sounding now )

Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
carjoy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TOPLABDOG
Just be glad it was not a gallon of milk. I never got the smell out of my last car. Lesson was ALL liquids in sealed plastic bags
My 2003 Mini always smelled like a Venti Cafe Mocha after I spilled one in the passenger foot well!