North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Halloween horror story (or Murphy kickin me when I'm down) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/118776-halloween-horror-story-or-murphy-kickin-me-when-im-down.html)

Kiyofox 11-02-2007 10:56 AM

Halloween horror story (or Murphy kickin me when I'm down)

Obviously this involves my mini, Jade, so those that are frightened of hearing about the pain and suffering of someone else's mini may want to skip to the next thread...

Still here? Okay, here is the deal.
On 10-31-07 I got the wonderful news that my department at work was being downsized. :eek2: :eek: :sad: :cry:
Already my day was off to a great start. So, since I had the rest of the day free, I decided to swing by costco and pick up a few household supplies I had been lacking. Among the items I bought was one of those very large containers of liquid laundry detergent. I'm sure you can see where this is going.
So, cut to me pulling into my parking spot at home. As soon as I turn off the car I hear "glugg...glugg...glugg..glugg". Immediately I panicked and jumped out to go open the boot. Sure enough my worst fear was realized...the detergent had fallen on its side and the lid popped off...AND WAS POURING OUT IN THE BOOT OF MY MINI!!!! :eek:
Oh man was I *pissed*! So after I managed to get ahold of myself, I went about the task of trying to clean up the mess. It looked like about 1 or 2 liters of the liquid soap had emptied, since the container was still half full. Thankfully the boot is one of the lowest points in the car, so most of the liquid pooled in the little recess that holds the jack.
Since I have an S, the plug in the boot that would hold the securing bolt for the spare tire just leads to an empty hole, I was able to flush out the majority of the soap thru there. At one point I had a garden hose just pouring water straight into the boot to wash it out.
One small saving grace was that only a small portion of the soap got on the trim outside of the boot cover. (the hard plastic square pieces that covers the jack, think it is called the 'non slip boot cover'?)
So...after spending two hours spraying down the boot (INSIDE the car mind you) and cleaning up the soap residue, I believe I got it almost back to original condition. In the process I did have to take off the plastic molding that covers the boot latch, and had to extensively clean the toolkit and the cargo netting.
I am STILL trying to get all the soap out of the boot cover, but I think it may be less hassle to just toss that one out and get a new one (since list price on one of those is only like $32). I might point out also that my mini is not even two weeks old. But I suppose this is like getting the first ding, eh?
That was my Halloween treat this year. :cry:

tigwantstoplay 11-02-2007 11:04 AM

:eek2: Oh man...that's awful. I'm sorry that happened to you. I guess that's testimony to how important use of the cargo net is when you're taking the twisties on the way home from CostCo. :lol: :wink:

minicounter 11-02-2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kiyofox (Post 1840239)
That was my Halloween treat this year. :cry:

Trick? :sly: :sad:

Sorry to hear... glad you were able to get it cleaned up. At least is was clean stuff and not their gallon sized mayo or pickles!! Good to know about the 'drain hole' - hope I never have to use it!

daffodildeb 11-02-2007 11:34 AM

Look at the bright side of all this--you'll have a sweet smelling car for all eternity! And you must be in pretty good spirits after your "down-sizing" because you called the jug half FULL.

Seriously, though--I'd complain to the detergent manufacturer about the cap that "popped off." Things happen, jugs get tipped over--the cap should have stayed put. At least claim for the boot cover, but I'd tell them how pissed I was--and wouldn't have put it in quite such a mild mannered way. But that's just me.

CR&PW&JB 11-02-2007 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by daffodildeb (Post 1840317)
Seriously, though--I'd complain to the detergent manufacturer about the cap that "popped off." Things happen, jugs get tipped over--the cap should have stayed put. At least claim for the boot cover, but I'd tell them how pissed I was--and wouldn't have put it in quite such a mild mannered way. But that's just me.

They might try to placate you by offering you free detergent for life. Cheaper than a lawsuit for $100,000 for the pain and suffering for having witnessed your MINI under suds attack ! :nod:

Donna/Mike 11-02-2007 12:21 PM

Oh man -what a bummer...I'm sorry...:sad: Sweet smelling MINI though eh?

Donna:cool: :grin: :cool:

Modnar 11-02-2007 12:31 PM

Ouch. That's rough. I've cleaned up many a detergent spill in my day, though none in the car. (Ah, the joys of retail.)

Now I'm thinking about putting the rubber boot mat on my Christmas list.

ubdylan 11-02-2007 12:42 PM

That really sucks! I'm with the other poster who said to contact the detergent manufacturer.

Yucca Patrol 11-02-2007 12:49 PM

On the bright side, at least it was laundry detergent instead of bleach. . . .

djam43 11-03-2007 05:57 AM

Just be glad that it wasnt BLEACH:eek2: :eek2: that spilled.

lacning74 11-03-2007 06:44 AM

After reading this, I just ordered the rubber boot mat for under $50 at morristownmini. My nightmare has always been spillage of oils and sauces from the korean food my mother-in-law keeps making us take home.

TOPLABDOG 11-03-2007 06:46 AM

Just be glad it was not a gallon of milk. I never got the smell out of my last car. Lesson was ALL liquids in sealed plastic bags

KXLight 11-03-2007 02:41 PM

Think about it this way, if it's other cars and not a MINI, it'll be a lot more work cleaning up the big trunk!

daffodildeb 11-03-2007 11:28 PM

Yeah, but he wouldn't have been cornering so fast, and dumped it over! :thumbsup:

chiki143 11-04-2007 02:10 PM

I so can relate to your pain in your spilled laundry detergent....but in another way. On August 8th (just over a month after delivery of Scarlett), I was at my Mom's and just about to leave. I had my door open and was standing outside Scarlett talking to Mom who was in her garage about to leave as well. Suddenly, the neighbors dog comes running over. My husband had been fearful that the dog would come running over and jump up on Scarlett scratching her paint. I could see it all coming to life and felt his fears would become reality. NOPE! Boy was I wrong! Instead, stupid dog jumped into Scarlett and ran from driver to passenger seat PEEING the whole entire time. ACK!:mad: Now my cloth/leather seats are soiled with dog pee. I used an upholstery stain remover on them and febreezed Scarlett good. I was most concerned about residual effects, especially in the 100 degree Florida heat. Evidentally I did a pretty good job because there is no staining or foul smells to be had. Sounds like you did a pretty good clean up job as well. If these are the worse that we have to worry with on our MINIs then I think we are pretty lucky.

daffodildeb 11-04-2007 02:14 PM

Did you kill the dog? :mad:

miniemee 11-04-2007 03:00 PM

I stopped using the cargo net right after I got it. I found it takes away too much space. Instead two old fashion plastic milk box / crates fit back there perfectily and nothing bounces around.

daffodildeb 11-04-2007 03:03 PM

Do you have the side nets? I don't find them in the way, and they do hold jugs of whatever flavor. In fact, my MA even told me to carry milk there.

miniemee 11-04-2007 05:22 PM

I still have the nets but the milk cartons work perfectly. It gives space for tire pumps tools etc and nothing bounces around.

Halifax 11-05-2007 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by daffodildeb (Post 1843233)
Did you kill the dog? :mad:

+1 :thumbsup:

...with extreme prejudice.

nlscooby 11-05-2007 06:44 PM

Wow....I can relate to your pain. We had a gallon of bleach spill in the back of my Honda Accord hatchback....the carpets turned white and then flaked away.

My mom was going to a dinner party and had a tray of sushi open up and spill all over the trunk of her new 300ZX convertible! (dang, that's a lot funnier sounding now :) )

carjoy 11-05-2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TOPLABDOG (Post 1841614)
Just be glad it was not a gallon of milk. I never got the smell out of my last car. Lesson was ALL liquids in sealed plastic bags

My 2003 Mini always smelled like a Venti Cafe Mocha after I spilled one in the passenger foot well! :eek2: :eek2: