R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Newbie had first test drive today

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Newbie had first test drive today

I am impressed - to start with I am the FOG here (57) and a Firefighter driving a Pickup for the past million years - tired of the 12 mpg and I really never use the "pickup part" So, I have been thinking "Mini" Like a lot of people, when I see one, I crane my head to get a good look... The closest dealer is "East Bay Mini" 1 hour drive... I Really Hate car salesman - so this was not going to be fun... I was very please and surprised at how well I was greated and treated by the dealer... took my DL and Ins and after giving me a short lesson on the cars and answering the questions I had - Just gave me the keys and said _ see ya later... Drove three Mini's with the last being the "S" Now that is one fast little car - Its a "ticket" just waiting to be written As much as my ego wants one - I am going to stay with the Cooper - I have my Harley and 66 Vette in the garage when speed is needed...

I am going back on Sat to drive them again the placing an Order next week... Does anyone have any ideas on how long the 07's can be ordered before they stop and start taking only 08 orders.

I do like the interior better on the 06 but I can live with the 07 after I "do my thing to it" and since I have a "sub zero" education on the earlier models - what the hell do I know???lol..

Very good forum here, thanks for letting the Newbie post -

Now to have fun on the building and trying to keep in down?? lol

Old 08-21-2007, 05:17 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and good luck ordering!! Some of the nicest Coopers (and Cooper Ss) I've seen have been lightly and very intentionally optioned...you could go that route, or not. Either way you'll have a MINI and that is the best part.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harley0711
...I am going back on Sat to drive them again the placing an Order next week... Does anyone have any ideas on how long the 07's can be ordered before they stop and start taking only 08 orders...
Here's a quote from a dealer from 2 months ago. I haven't seen anything official on the subject. Take it as you may.
As far as we know we will be ordering 2007 Models (and we do not have an official production month for the 2008 models yet so this is all based on assumption and how MINI has worked in the past) through October. We are assuming that after October being November production we will begin to order 2008 Models

Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
welcome to NAM and good luck on ordering.

what all do you plan on adding to your MINI and what color do you plan on getting?

Old 08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
I am impressed - to start with I am the FOG here (57) and a Firefighter driving a Pickup for the past million years - tired of the 12 mpg and I really never use the "pickup part" So, I have been thinking "Mini" Like a lot of people, when I see one, I crane my head to get a good look... The closest dealer is "East Bay Mini" 1 hour drive... I Really Hate car salesman - so this was not going to be fun... I was very please and surprised at how well I was greated and treated by the dealer... took my DL and Ins and after giving me a short lesson on the cars and answering the questions I had - Just gave me the keys and said _ see ya later... Drove three Mini's with the last being the "S" Now that is one fast little car - Its a "ticket" just waiting to be written As much as my ego wants one - I am going to stay with the Cooper - I have my Harley and 66 Vette in the garage when speed is needed...

I am going back on Sat to drive them again the placing an Order next week... Does anyone have any ideas on how long the 07's can be ordered before they stop and start taking only 08 orders.

I do like the interior better on the 06 but I can live with the 07 after I "do my thing to it" and since I have a "sub zero" education on the earlier models - what the hell do I know???lol..

Very good forum here, thanks for letting the Newbie post -

Now to have fun on the building and trying to keep in down?? lol
Congrats on the decision, I was having an Ipod adapter installed at East Bay today and seen you and the Harley, nice bike. People at East Bay are nice and no high pressure sales pitch. This was my fisrt dealing with the service department and I was very impressed with the service. Good Luck on deciding which options to go with, lots of pssabilities for sure.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Madcaps
1st Gear
Where do you get the self control to wait a whole week to order? I think I was ordering about 5 min. after the test drive...

Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
I plan (lol) to go lightly. I bought my first Harley in 96 - went a little crazy on that one, sold it and got a 2000 went crazy on that one - sold it in 04 and now have a bagger - have just added a little - So, I do understand how one can go nuts on these - As much as I would love to go crazy on this Mini - "life" tells me to just enjoy it and that I plan...

I have to be honest - Being my Very first ride - I really expected the base car to be under powered and noisy - NOT... In fact (lol) for a min, I thought I had gotten the "S".... That is until I drove the "S".

Very nice driving little car.. I now understand how all of you have such a passion for these - And I thought Harley's people were in love with their rides.... You people are right up there - and that is a good thing...

Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Hey Harley, welcome aboard and go nuts or stay stock as the mood strikes you. You cant miss.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greetings Harley & welcome to your new NAMily & the world of MINI!

Let the madness begin by placing your order & then sit back and enjoy!

Welcome aboard!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:30 PM
old81
M6
Welcome to NAM, nice to see a 'sensible' approach or at least the start of one.

You can add to whatever you decide, the MINI is a blank slate for mods.

I don't think your a FOG, I think I have you by 3 or 4.

Going nuts is not bad when ordering a MINI, I went with a mild mannered MCSa.

Enjoy ordering and getting the MINI your way.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 PM
greylight
3rd Gear
Welcome to NAM!

I have my Harley and 66 Vette in the garage when speed is needed...
I have a 03 Dyna Superglide and I immediately recognized the same sensation when I test drove a 07 MCS: Tons of grunt in the low-end, and fun in the twisties.
I do like the interior better on the 06...
Me too, but the motor in the 07 MCS is so great, I was sold in the first 60 secs.

Have fun choosing your options!

gl

Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
This Mini reminds me of a story my wife came home with last year... A cowoker told her that her husband was buying a new Harley but promised her he was going to leave it stock - My wife "educated" her to the HD sickness - Hey we could have worse things to spend our money on...

However, I still plan on ordering a Cooper and Not the "S" - wish me luck??lol

Old 08-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Cooper, and if it keeps you out of trouble...

Take your time and check out all the options in the Configurator. You can get info on just about every option here on NAM. Some are must have, so are best avoided, and some are a matter of taste.

Good luck with your order.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:49 AM
kfisto
3rd Gear
Welcome to NAM!