R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sunroof on new car

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:48 PM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof on new car

Im about to order my new MCS but was debating about wether or not i want the sunroof??

ive heard there r some problems (noise, leaks etc) but i love sunroofs and this car seems so small not have one. is it worth the 800 bucks???

the main thing im worried about if i dont get it , is that i will feel somewhat clostraphobic...

Old 08-19-2007, 02:13 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
do a search on NAM for multiple threads that cover this. Long story short: Its all a matter of preference. Some of the earlier build R56s had problems with the sunroof. The later ones have had fewer. I love the sunroof and have had no problems. Hope this helps!

Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
i love the sunroof also, and in case you don't know both sunroofs now tilt up.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:26 PM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
well thanks for the replies, i just dont know what two choices i want out of three??

sunroof
xenons
hi fi upgrade

its my first car so the bill cant be tooooooo biggg... (around 24000)

Old 08-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Coopaw
2nd Gear
Personally, I wouldn't buy any car without a sunroof. My 2 cents.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:35 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
some people on here don't like the xenons, they say the light cut off is kinda short and it messed up their night vision. i don't have them and i see fine at night.

i got a MCSa with the premium package (whcih comes with the sunroof, auto ac and the multi-function steering wheel) for 25,050. this was my first brand new car also.

Last edited by soul embrace; 08-19-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:40 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Can't imagine our Mini without the sunroof--what a delight. Unless there is some hard core auto crossing in your future--you won't regret it. Unless it's raining or the temps are absurd--our sunroof is open. Our next Mini-whenever that is- will be specd with a sunroof. FWIW PS-if you spec a sunroof--get it tinted!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd skip the hi-fi upgrade and go for both sunroof and xenons. Both are must-haves, IMO.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:41 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
If you're even considering the sun roof, then I say get it. If you don't, you'll simply kick yourself every time you get into your MINI wishing that you would have gotten it.

I agree with buzzsaw... I wouldn't own a MINI (nor any other car for that mater) without a sunroof. We have them in all three of our MINI's and have never had a single problem.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:11 PM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
thanks for the feed back and ill prolly be getting the sunroof now and the xxenons... this is my first car and i didnt know wether or not i needed the xenons, do they help u a lot

Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My opinion and 2 cents dont get either of them, lots of probs with the roof,If you do a lot of night trav in unlighted areas, ok for the xenons

Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I got the sunroof and wish I hadn't. It lets in too much sun, even with the so-called shade drawn. It also is very noisy at any opening, even just vented -- much worse than any other sunroof car I have owned. An additional downside is the weight. Some think it detracts from a white roofed car and you can't easily install a roof flag if this is desired. About the only positive I can see is not having the sunroof might make the car harder to sell because people are not aware of the negatives noted above.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:46 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did not like the amount of light the sunroof let in. If there was a better factory shade, I may have gotten one, but I did go for the Xenon lights. We have them in my wife's XC90, and they really light up the night.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:46 PM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
thanks remphoto for the honst reply, i dont want o have a lot of problems or noise with th esunroof, it being 800 and the nearest mini dealer being 2 hrs away. so ill have to keep debating whether or not im going to get it...

Old 08-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Zman
3rd Gear
no for me

i am on my 3rd bmw, and 1st Mini, all with no sunroof.

Reasons why not:

Need head room
Cost
potential after warranty fixing costs
added weight
roof looks better with unbroken lines
many people complaining about to much sun..heat.

the lack of a sunroof has not hurt my resale.

to those that have them .... enjoy!

BTW, i would consider the xenons since they are getting cheaper and cheaper.....

Haven't heard the Hi Fi. the base radio in my 2006 MC sucks.

the base radio in my X3 rocks!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:54 PM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
so Zman would u get the HiFi and xenons then????

Old 08-19-2007, 05:07 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
two things you should know

1. the sun screen is a piece of crap, it does not screen the sun very well, and it will continually open itself up, mine is going to go into the dealer for this soon, it's really starting to **** me off, I wear glasses and I cant deal with the sun in my eye's constantly

2. the windows do not come tinted very much at all, 5 % limo tint helps

Old 08-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
This is my second car with a sunroof and I wouldn't order one without it. I love the extra light, especially in the winter when conditions are way too gloomy. I also like the extra air circulation without always having to open the windows.

I haven't had any wind or opening/closing issues. My car was manufactured in early March, so the early build problems seemed to have been solved by then.

Originally Posted by mega72
1. the sun screen is a piece of crap, it does not screen the sun very well, and it will continually open itself up
That isn't a standard problem. My screen stays shut whenever I have it closed and remains open when I want full sun.

Originally Posted by mega72
2. the windows do not come tinted very much at all, 5 % limo tint helps
I went Friday and had mine tinted with the 20 percent film. That still allows in adequate light, which I like, but doesn't make it overwhelmingly bright under full sun overhead. The limo tint, for me, would be too dark. If I didn't want in any light, then I wouldn't have opted for the sunroof in the first place.

Last edited by Sowellman; 08-19-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Love my sunroof! Bought 3 cheap very light weight sun shades from the Dollar Store of all places, as a quick fix for when the car came in. They actually fit when folded in half between the glass and factory pull for a perfect fit. How's that for luck? The third one fits in the windshield perfectly. I've checked at the Dollar Store I purchased them to get more. They were out, of course. I'll check around the other stores and post them if I come across them.

Have the Hi-Fi and headlight upgrades also. Very glad I ordered it all. No regrets here.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:34 PM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
wow Mini S Pilot sounds like u like ur car a lot ...

im hoping if i do get the sunroof it doesnt have problems.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Sowellman
I haven't had any wind or opening/closing issues. My car was manufactured in early March, so the early build problems seemed to have been solved by then.

That isn't a standard problem. My screen stays shut whenever I have it closed and remains open when I want full sun.

it is, there's a bunch of threads on here about it, and my dealer warned me about it when I picked up my car, my car was built in july

Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
No problems or complaints with my sunroof. Well, maybe just one little one. It's been too hot to ride around with it open most days since I've had it. I'm getting a little more use out of the AC since it's delivery. I've had to bare the heat a few times though just to enjoy my sunroof while carting around. I do use it everyday to vent the heat from the car. It gets opened and closed a few times a day for this purpose. Still no problems.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
i don't have any wind noise coming from the sunroof open or close. i don't mind the light either, during the summer i'm driving with the sunroof fully open and windows down 99 percent of the time. the only time i use the AC is if it's raining, i have someone in the car with me or if i'm going to church and it's already hot out side. it's been 10-12 days straight of 100+ degree weather here. i think all the problems with the sunroof people keep saying is on the early 07 MINIs. my was built in july and so far no problems at all. since i've been here at NAM (Jun 2007) i've read more complaints about the Xenon lights than about the sunroof. the only complaint i heard about the sunroof s the sun shade, which i don't have a problem with since i keep it pushed open most of the time. the only problems i've heard about the sunroof since i've been here is when someone makes a thread like this one and someone says not to get it cause it has a lot of problems.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:09 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Week 3 build and zero problems with the sunroof. No extra noise. Love it. And you are right; a small car deserves this sunroof. As for the Xenons, cars did just fine before them. I opted out since I hate it when approaching cars have lights that bright. They annoy the crap out of me, so I didn't want to return the favor. I have the Hi-Fi stereo. I love it, but don't know what the standard stereo sounds like for comparison. You might just take a CD to the dealership and compare.

If you are already thinking you will regret not getting the sunroof, get it. The other items are things that you may or may not notice later on.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:22 PM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
im definantly getting the sunroof, ill take the chance but i want sun... as for the xenons and hi fi , idont know which one.

thanks everyone for the comments!!

Quick Reply: R56 Sunroof on new car