R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sunroof on new car

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:32 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I'd skip the hi-fi upgrade and go for both sunroof and xenons. Both are must-haves, IMO.
Couldn't have said it better ! Or in fewer words (I'm long-winded).

Old 08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cruizplyr
im definantly getting the sunroof, ill take the chance but i want sun... as for the xenons and hi fi , idont know which one.

thanks everyone for the comments!!
thats a tough one. hopefully you can head to a MINI dealer and experience with/without the xenon lamps and HIFI if you can't come to a decision. I was hesitant about the sunroof due to cost but made it a point to focus on it during my second test drive. It sold itself easily. You'll be very happy with it =). I also went with HIFI for a few reasons. First is, it will be a major hassle to mess with the stereo aftermarket due to the cars design. second, I did an A-B test of with and without at the dealership and there is a very significant difference in performance and sound clarity. Second, the HIFI also gives you a bit more of an upgrade path since you can just swap the speaker drivers later if you want another big leap in performance. I prefer to be happy with the factory setup after quite a few not so good experiences with car stereo shops thus HIFI was added. Didn't go with xenon just to keep cost under control. With the extra hood clearance pedestrians I hit should be ok

Old 08-19-2007, 06:47 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and this thread quickly snowballed into another sunroof battle arena!

Like I said, long story short it is a matter of preference. Keep in mind they may have improved the sunroof, but it appears as though there are still (less frequent) issues with them. But it looks to me like the vast majority of people who HAVE THEM like them. I know I do!

As for HiFi and xenons, I have xenons and like them, but I wish I had the HiFi too! Did you consider some of the packages that include these items? You can get more for less...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:50 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
You should just get the whole premuim package. The sunroof is too neat on the mini it probably will hurt resale without it. Im a big fan of not putting sunroof on cars because the weight added is about the worst place for your CG and I even got the sunroof. With the premium package youll also get the multifunction wheel which is nice, but without that you would have no cruise control. Without the premuim package your resale is probably going to take a hit so just get it.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:56 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
I've found the sunroof to be noisy. Even when its open on tilt, the noise level is way higher than any other car I've owned. Also as others have said, the screen is next to useless, especially if you live in a sunny state. If I were ordering again I would definitely forgo the sunroof.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Intendoe
2nd Gear
The sunroof on my last car was twice as noisy than the mini's. It seemed to make the most noise on tilt.

Personally I love sunroofs especially on those warm summer nights with cool breezes. It's awesome. Unfortunately the screen doesn't do much for really hot days but tint or one of those reflective screens would help. No rattles nor any high-speed wind noises from mine. Good luck

Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I want to clarify my remarks about the sunroof noise issue. I don't think it is any noiser when closed than a car without the sunroof. The noise comes when it is opened in any position.

One additional point -- FWIW -- when attending MINI functions in our area,it seems that many of the serious hardcore drivers and tuners don't have sunroofs. They have DSC, Xeons, big wheels/tires, sports packages, etc. No sunroofs.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
I have the sunroof, xenons, and hi-fi. If you want to cut $500 skip the hi-fi. I had a loaner car and the standard stereo didn't sound as good, but the hi-fi isn't that great either. My g35 has the Bose stereo, which is good for factory, but sounds much better than my MINI hi-fi. You could probably do better aftermarket later. The sunroof and xenons wouldn't be an easy upgrade later.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 AM
chili s
2nd Gear
I was hurt a bit on resale with my '03 R53 because I didn't have the sunroof and the leather. Opted to bite the bullet on my R56. Got the Xenons and the Hi-Fi upgrade, sunroof and rooster red interior.

Cool down period for the interior with the sunrood hasn't really increased or diminished. Its about the same.

Had to replace a xenon bulb on my old R53. $250. Geez, that hurt. But its nice to have them when you need them.

I've fared better than most on the sunscreen issue. it only goes back about 1" upon high spirited take offs. G-forces? Anyway thats my .02 and about what its worth. Its your car, you need to make the educated guess as to whats good for you.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:45 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
I haven't used the sunroof shade once. It has been a cool summer and I have enjoyed the light. So it depends how roasting hot it gets where you are.
You can always get it tinted for pretty cheap too.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by rooandren
I haven't used the sunroof shade once. It has been a cool summer and I have enjoyed the light. So it depends how roasting hot it gets where you are.
You can always get it tinted for pretty cheap too.
the sun does not blind you?

I cant drive with the shade open, and I only had the car 8 hours before I got limo tint put up there

I simply cannot drive with the sun in my eye's like that

when I owned a bmw convertable I had perscription sunglasses to deal with it, or I wore a hat

Old 08-20-2007, 09:05 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
the sun does not blind you?
Either I'm driving in the morning/evening when it's not an issue, or it's the weekend and I like getting some tan! I find it's pretty rare that you get direct rays.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
the sun hates me I guess, I actually gave up, and went and got new glasses with magnet clip on sunglasses, it bothered me that much

I'm going to wait another month for the car to sort itself out, if my sunscreen still self opens, and the windshield washer nozzels still leak, I'll bring it in for service

Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 AM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
tahkns everyone again... i know i should just get some of the packages but, im in high school and this being my first car... i want the cost as low as possible for my parents... i prolly go for the sunroof and maybe the xenons but i dont kow because i dont think my eyes need help to see at night (my parents cars both have them and they seem great at night)

Old 08-20-2007, 10:52 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
wow, high schooler, first car, and it's brand new

Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 AM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BritBoy
I've found the sunroof to be noisy. Even when its open on tilt, the noise level is way higher than any other car I've owned.
Really? At all speeds? My Audi S4 has a sunroof that I can't use at freeway speeds, and I just assumed that was normal. I was surprised during my MCSa test drive that I could carry on a normal conversation with the sunroof open. I opted for it.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Reverse that

IMO, you can absolutely live without the sunroof and the xenons. Both are extraneous weight and complexity. IF you are claustrophic, you might want to go with the white headliner/posts. I have the dark headliner and love it, but it might not be for you. However the interior isn't that small, and the sunroof isn't going to change that feeling much. A Jaguar owner friend of mine rode with me the other day, and noted that he had more headroom in the Mini than in his Jag sedan.
You DO want the stereo upgrade if you are a music fan.
Keep your costs down...DO NOT buy "packages", but select your few add ons individually.

Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I'd skip the hi-fi upgrade and go for both sunroof and xenons. Both are must-haves, IMO.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:40 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I'm a music fan, but that hi-fi system was not worth 500 $ more that's for sure

Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
your first car?

You "want the cost as low as possible for my parents"...?? (sound of huge laughter)
A real teenage humanitarian, that's what you are. Right? (more laughter) Face it, you'd get an S and stack it with every package available if you could get away with it. You're just sitting in your room PRAYING that you can get them to spring for that Mini, given the price tag and all.

Sorry kid, but you should be driving a used but not abused second or third hand Toyota for your first car. You'll appreciate that Mini more when you finally BUY ONE for yourself with your own money. And oh yeah, you'll be ALIVE to enjoy it. IF your parents insist on buying you a new car, it should be a stripped just over $12k out the door new Toyota Yaris. You'll have to work harder to kill yourself in that. And you'll get 40-45 mpg, which will work with your Burger King part time job "salary" and all, plus it's a Toyota and will have no service/maintenance issues.

Speaking from experience and age....Surfblue

Originally Posted by cruizplyr
tahkns everyone again... i know i should just get some of the packages but, im in high school and this being my first car... i want the cost as low as possible for my parents... i prolly go for the sunroof and maybe the xenons but i dont kow because i dont think my eyes need help to see at night (my parents cars both have them and they seem great at night)

Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Uh huh

Really? You need to do a little more listening to that stock system.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
uh huh again

I should add that neither system sounds very good when the car is on it's top or shoved up against an oak tree. And that's another reason to SKIP the sunroof...all that glass and stuff falling on you.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
cruizplyr
1st Gear
surf blue ... wat is th eproblem if i want a MCS 07 when i do good in school and my parents think it is fine. there is no need to gripe about a high schooler getting a new car, when the car gets 30 + mpg and doesnt cost an extravagent amount of money. i appreciate ur in put... but save ur negative comments

Old 08-20-2007, 12:39 PM
tomah
3rd Gear
i personally am not a fan of sunroofs. i think it has something to do with added weight and loss of rigidity. but thats just me. i had a sunroof on my rsx, never ever used it.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
You "want the cost as low as possible for my parents"...?? (sound of huge laughter)
A real teenage humanitarian, that's what you are. Right? (more laughter) Face it, you'd get an S and stack it with every package available if you could get away with it. You're just sitting in your room PRAYING that you can get them to spring for that Mini, given the price tag and all.

Sorry kid, but you should be driving a used but not abused second or third hand Toyota for your first car. You'll appreciate that Mini more when you finally BUY ONE for yourself with your own money. And oh yeah, you'll be ALIVE to enjoy it. IF your parents insist on buying you a new car, it should be a stripped just over $12k out the door new Toyota Yaris. You'll have to work harder to kill yourself in that. And you'll get 40-45 mpg, which will work with your Burger King part time job "salary" and all, plus it's a Toyota and will have no service/maintenance issues.

Speaking from experience and age....Surfblue
Feeling a bit judgemental today are we Surfblue.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear
I have one on my SRT-4 and use it pretty often on the highway. If i'm going past 70 i'll just keep the windows up and open the sunroof for some fresh air and its great. I think the mini's dual sunroofs is cool, anyone have a pic with them open?

Quick Reply: R56 Sunroof on new car