R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 "No Holes" front license plate mount -- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:54 AM
fbox
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"No Holes" front license plate mount -- worth it?

For those of you who've purchased the "no holes" front license plate mounting bracket, are you happy with it?

Here's an example if you haven't seen it before:
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NM.../InvDetail.cfm

Personally, I think the placement offered by this bracket is much better than the dead-center stock holder. I can't tell, however, if the "no holes" version sticks out so far that it's likely to catch on things (e.g., people walking by, high curbs, etc.).

If you've got one, can you please post your opinion and recommendation?

Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM
blalor
6th Gear
The R56's tow hook is in a different spot than the older models', so it might look kind of wonky. I've got one of these and I'm not thrilled with it. I've whacked my shin on it, bent the plate while changing the oil, and it got tweaked in the drive-through carwash. I'm going to put the aero kit plate mount on next month, I think.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
eVal
6th Gear
We have a tow-hook version on our 05 MCS w/aero and I wouldn't have it any other way - hate the way the lic plate looks mounted to the front bumper otherwise.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 PM
trico
6th Gear
Second eVal. Love the look. Have had it on for two years without incident. (Went 2 years without a front plate until saw compatriots getting fix-it tickets for not having it). No way would I drill my bumper for the OEM.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have it for a 2007 MCS, but this is California and it will probably be weeks before I get the plates. I've put it on to see how it works and don't have any complaints with it. However, haven't tried it with plates.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say here and now that, in reference to R56, the entire "don't drill my bumper" thing needs to die. Why? Because the R56 looks much better w/ a center mounted plate than without....it belongs there. It's not like it was with R50/53. In my opinion the whole issue has been solved.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Welp, to each his own, but I still don't think the plate on the bumper looks good - the stock mount with the US plates looks bad on most cars IMHO

Old 05-15-2007, 02:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
the stock mount with the US plates looks bad on most cars IMHO
Maybe so, but the R56 bumper has two seams that are totally hidden by center mounting the front plate. The bumper also sports two indents for drilling...also hidden by installation of the plate. Lastly, the bumper is...well kinda boring. A plate actually helps!!

Of course folks can do as they wish, but the front plate does not work counter to the R56 front bumper aesthetics as many felt is did with R53. For this reason, I suggest we not "automatically" reject drilling and mounting a plate as we used to do.

In the end, aethetics are a matter of compromises...but on R56 not mounting a plate may look like more of a compromise than not. Just a thought...

Old 05-15-2007, 02:55 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I understand, but to me it just breaks up the lines of hte car and ends up resembling tacked on buck teeth or a weird little mustache. All in all to my eyes the plate transforms the 'expression' of a car and ruins the look of the design as intended, which especially bugs me if I appreciate the lines of the car in the first place. Euro plates being longer and narrower can look better and more balanced somehow, but alas they are not legal to be used as front plates here, so for me at least the asymmetrical tow hook plate doesn't look as dentally challenged as it would in the center

In any case I think its better safe then sorry - better to ask for no drilling and no mounts installed on your new car then decide yourself later rather then remove it and deal with any holes or scratches from the mounting.

Last edited by eVal; 05-15-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:46 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
In any case I think its better safe then sorry
Fair enough. I do think a tow-hook mount would still look nice...it's just that to me the situation w/ R56 is much better than with R53 and the later R50s (early R50s had a plate holder). I think it was the split grill...the lower portion was destined to be hidden w/ a U.S. plate and that was worth avoiding. I think we're in a much better place now.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:50 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I just mounted my front plate by screwing the provide plate holder to the front bumper. I noticed that the bracket holes did not line up with the dimples on the bumper. Also, the bracket had a universal look with a bunch of holes that weren't useable and reinforced holes at the bottom, probably for a support bracket which didn't come with the plate holder. I think its a little **** to be concerned about screwing it to the bumper. Once installed it will never be removed (unless moving to another state which doesn't require one and I'm sure some clever front MINI ID plate can be installed.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
BartMack
6th Gear
I always use industrial strength velcro (the gray kind) from Home Despot.. never an issue across 4 cars and no holes in the bumper.

Plus, I can pull the plate off for de-bugging & cleaning

Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by remphoto
bracket holes did not line up with the dimples on the bumper.
Very interesting...but no matter, I'm having the dealer install mine. Only one thing I'd maybe change...to have it painted body color rather than black. What do you think remphoto...would that be an improvement or no??

Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
djmarra
1st Gear
Thank God, I live in PA, on front plate, at least that is one thing PA has going for it, and one less concern for the mini.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Balact Man
1st Gear
I have a 07 MCS and i love my plate holder. looks gooooood to me

Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 AM
lucyl
2nd Gear
I'm debating if I should get my drilled or not. Is the drilling done at the dealer? Checking to see if its too late or not.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lucyl
Is the drilling done at the dealer?
Yes, they can (and normally do) do that for you...although some folks choose to do it themselves or opt out of the whole thing. I just told my MA what I wanted. I also told them not to put a dealer badge on my MINI's boot (because I have something else to go there). I love my dealer, but they get far more effective advertising out of me by word of mouth.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
chainfire
2nd Gear
So.......

how hard is it to remove ????

i am thinking some weirdo decides that this thing sticking out of the fron of my car might deside he might like to take it.

does it lock in??

Old 05-18-2007, 10:48 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chainfire
does it lock in??
No...the "no holes" just screws in where the tow hook goes. My guess is that anyone could unscrew it if they wanted to.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
chainfire
2nd Gear
humm

sounds like a good way to get it stolen and quick in a parking lot

think i will go with the whole drill and mount

Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 AM
B&D
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by trico
(Went 2 years without a front plate until saw compatriots getting fix-it tickets for not having it). .
I live in Jersey, and since I put the M7 Upper, Middle, and Lower grilles on my MINI, there is NO WAY I am going to hide them behind that sickly yellow plate....

SO.........I attached my plate to the plate holder, put the screws that attach it to the bumper through their holes, and then BENT THEM UP REAL GOOD with a vice-grip wrench.

I spread some sticky dirt and a couple of smashed bugs onto the face of the plate, and I keep it in my boot.

I already got stopped for 'No Front License Plate' and all I did was take it out of the boot for the Officer to see, told him someone had JUST backed into it in a parking lot, and I have to go get some 'special' screws/brackets to hold it on again.... (he let me go without even a 'hurry up and get it done')

-B

Old 05-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Balact Man
1st Gear
So.......

how hard is it to remove ????

i am thinking some weirdo decides that this thing sticking out of the fron of my car might deside he might like to take it.

does it lock in??
two things to remember:
1) the plate holder uses a torque tighting set-up so it isn't easy to remove at all
2) its just a license plate, not a "24K gold" bar on display

I purchased this set-up for 1 reason, well maybe 2. my wife gave the ok & it looks cool to me. if its not your cup of tea, drill away my friend.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I don't see where one looks better than the other. BUT, if you don't want the holes drilled, you better make sure to tell your MINI Allocator before the prep team gets hold of it.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
humm

sounds like a good way to get it stolen and quick in a parking lot

think i will go with the whole drill and mount
You think screws might make it vulnerable to being stolen. So, you are going to use screws instead?

I'd like to hear a good explanation of the logic behind that.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
You think screws might make it vulnerable to being stolen. So, you are going to use screws instead?

I'd like to hear a good explanation of the logic behind that.
He said "whole drill" so I think the drill will be positioned to attack anyone who tries to steal the plates.

Quick Reply: R56 "No Holes" front license plate mount -- worth it?