R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 "No Holes" front license plate mount -- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Balboa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=fbox;1524724]For those of you who've purchased the "no holes" front license plate mounting bracket, are you happy with it?

I've had one on my '06 for about a year and a half. Installation is straighforward, the mounting hardware is adjustable for height and it has held up well. Much better solution than putting two drill holes in the bumper.

So, yes, I'm happy with it.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM
rdpasc
Neutral
I almost got the "no holes" holder. I thought it had a pretty unique look. I had my MA attach one on my new R56, so I could have an idea of how much it would stick out. For me, it seemed to stick out too much and possibly might limit maneuvering in tight spaces (not that a MINI has much problem doing that, hehe!). Just makes for something less to think about while motoring. All in all, i'm very happy with my "drilled" MINI, hehe!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:38 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rdpasc
I almost got the "no holes" holder. I thought it had a pretty unique look. I had my MA attach one on my new R56, so I could have an idea of how much it would stick out. For me, it seemed to stick out too much and possibly might limit maneuvering in tight spaces (not that a MINI has much problem doing that, hehe!). Just makes for something less to think about while motoring. All in all, i'm very happy with my "drilled" MINI, hehe!
Well, your MA installed a R53 'No Holes' on your R56. We have an R56 verison and it hugs the front bumper.

Here is the R56 with the 'No Holes'

We will call CheckerFlag to make sure they have the R56 in stock.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:09 PM
chainfire
2nd Gear
Hummm

Dont really look like a hug more like a high speed fly by

Old 06-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdpasc
Just got my plates today and mounted the front plate on the no holes bracket. If I hold the standard (ya gotta drill holes) bracket -- that came with the MINI -- in place, I can see that mounting the plate in the center would increase the length of the car by the same amount as the no holes bracket. So, you must do some very strange maneuvering if the no-holes bracket restricts you more than the standard bracket.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:13 PM
mataku
5th Gear
I got the no holes bracket from gominigo for my 2005 MC and was wondering if anybody knows if it will work for the 2007 MCS that I will be getting. If I could reuse, that would be great. I just need to know if it will work, it might not be perfectly angled or what not, but as long as it fits.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 PM
SDMike
5th Gear
I love mine but it was made by a fellow NAMer... and engineered to perfection... very rigid all alum fits R56/R53. I just don't know if he's ready to ramp up to NAM production levels yet!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mataku
I got the no holes bracket from gominigo for my 2005 MC and was wondering if anybody knows if it will work for the 2007 MCS that I will be getting. If I could reuse, that would be great. I just need to know if it will work, it might not be perfectly angled or what not, but as long as it fits.
I seem to recall that the tow threads are different on the R56, but I may be mistaken.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
dwjj
6th Gear
I love mine!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 PM
SDMike
5th Gear
Different Tow hook threads for R56/R53 yes, additionally the standoff length is different...

Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
ramtaajogi
2nd Gear
seems like this can be made from home depot parts. i doubt it will be $50 in parts.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ramtaajogi
seems like this can be made from home depot parts. i doubt it will be $50 in parts.
You are dealing with metric threads on the main tow stud, and all parts are stainless steel. Even if you could buy the stud at Home Despot, I'm sure you would be out at least $50. Then you would have some cutting and drilling to do. Ever work stainless steel?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SDMike
Different Tow hook threads for R56/R53 yes, additionally the standoff length is different...
Hm.... I contacted gominigo and they said it is the exact same except for the bracket which is a little slanted. He said I could just bend it myself or get from them for a small fee. Also, i'm going from R50-R56, not sure if that's why he said it would work.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:53 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SDMike
Threads are not different on the R50/R53/R56. In fact is the the same thread pitch on ALL BMW's.
The standoff length is not different either for the MINIs.
The only difference is the location.
We modified the bracket to allow for a closer fit on the R56.

As far as for picking up the bolt at Home Depot, I just have to say good luck with that. You will not find one. If an off the shelf bolt was available we would have used that. Our machinist tried lots of variations but none where quite right. So he made a tool to cut the tow-hook threads. It is not ACME thread either, the ACME may work but you still need to muck with the threads. Our first model was an aluminum bolt and it works but we felt that stainless steel would be better, last longer and there is less risk of breakage.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a GoMINIGo No hole front licence plate mount, I am very happy with it!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:45 PM
minijon
2nd Gear
I have a no-holes license plate mount for my 06 MC and I love it. I did bang my shins on it once, since it sticks out a bit and its not in a normal field of view. But you get used to avoiding it while walking in front of your car. I like the idea of only removing one bolt to take my front plate off for autoX too. I haven't done a car wash since I installed the plate, so I can't say how well it'll stand one, but I'm not worried about it.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Salty
3rd Gear
has anyone had an issue with the front license place blocking the intercooler on the R56? That is going to determine if I center mount the license plate or if I go the tow hook route...

Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
aem421
4th Gear
What are people doing that have the JCW Aero kit installed? Did you go with the tow hook bracket or just leave it off and take a chance with the police?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
Living in texas you have to have a front license plate. So I have know many people (mostly vette owners) to use suction cups to hold up the license plate in the bottom corner of their front windshield with no problems. I might do this or put on a side mount. My main reason for doing this is that the plate blocks the radiator and intercooler from air. People with front license plates, have you noticed this problem?

Last edited by wrxdriver; 08-21-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:53 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I've had mine on for a few years now and I think it works great.

Nik

Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
aem421
4th Gear
My main reason is that I've always hated having a front tag and that I don't want to drill holes in my nice new JCW front end.

WRXdriver...You still have the WRX? I sold mine

Old 08-21-2007, 11:08 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
^^ Yeah im still going to keep it. I just couldnt part with it.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Yeah, I hear ya. I tried that but the wife was ready to kill me cause I never drove it. Car shows only. Oh well, on to the next turbo car

Old 08-21-2007, 11:16 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
(MINI) A kickass turbo car at that.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
What are people doing that have the JCW Aero kit installed? Did you go with the tow hook bracket or just leave it off and take a chance with the police?
I leave the front plate off on my WRX and just chance it with the police. I don't drive overly quick or anything, so try and minimize the chance of getting pulled over. The license plate is usually a tack-on ticket (they must be REALLY hard pressed for cash if they are only pulling you over for no front plate!) which gets dismissed if you put the plate on, show the judge, and take it back off.

Originally Posted by wrxdriver
Living in texas you have to have a front license plate. So I have know many people (mostly vette owners) to use suction cups to hold up the license plate in the bottom corner of their front windshield with no problems. I might do this or put on a side mount. My main reason for doing this is that the plate blocks the radiator and intercooler from air. People with front license plates, have you noticed this problem?
I've always been weary of putting the plate up in the windshield, because in the event of a front collision where the glass breaks (or other wise dislodges the suction cups), the plate becomes a sharp, flying piece of metal... not good. There is some concern for those with big front mounts, but it's generally not a pracitcal issue. If you're road racing or anything where every ounce of air is necessary, take the front plate off.

DAMN THE MAN, go front plateless

Quick Reply: R56 "No Holes" front license plate mount -- worth it?