R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 "No Holes" front license plate mount -- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
He said "whole drill" so I think the drill will be positioned to attack anyone who tries to steal the plates.
Oooh, where do you get an artificially intelligent drill? I wonder if it keeps bugging you about what you would like to have drilled, just the way the AI toaster in Red Dwarf did?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
motion sensors.......

Old 05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Well, here in Florida they only require rear plates, so I ordered a duplicate of my original Irish plate numbers that I had in Ireland as a young lad of 18 on my first car, a 1964 Morris Mini classic. I am so proud of it.! check my signature.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
They have invisible plates in Ireland?

Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
They have invisible plates in Ireland?
Made by the Fairy Folk. I can see his Irish license plate, but I have some Irish blood in my veins.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a "no holes" bracket on my 2006 S. It costs about $50. This is well worth it. I'd have spent 3 to 4 hours figuring out how I wanted to make it. With the pre-made kit, it was easy and saved time. I like the look and have not had any trouble with it.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Made by the Fairy Folk. I can see his Irish license plate, but I have some Irish blood in my veins.
Yup. only the Irish can see it.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:00 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I'm pretty sure I'll get the tow-hook mount plate holder, but some of the points made seem valid, theft and banging on shins, etc. Here in CA we have to have the front plate and I opted out when my dealer asked. I had planned to mount it only if stopped for a fix-it ticket. My daughters car got ticketed and it was only $10 if fixed and $75 to pay the fine and not do anything.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:33 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcarlo52
I'm pretty sure I'll get the tow-hook mount plate holder
That's cool...I'll just be recommending that folks take a good look at the bumper before buying. The off-center mount looks good, but then you'll clearly see the seams and drill dimples in the bumper. Or you can center mount the plate and hide the seams, but it looks off because you'd rather have it off center. It may wind up being a trade off either way...that's the lesson. For me...I can't stand to see those seams so the lesser of the two evils for me is the center mounted plate. Someone else would approach it differently.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Electric Shock
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fbox
For those of you who've purchased the "no holes" front license plate mounting bracket, are you happy with it?

Here's an example if you haven't seen it before:
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NM.../InvDetail.cfm

Personally, I think the placement offered by this bracket is much better than the dead-center stock holder. I can't tell, however, if the "no holes" version sticks out so far that it's likely to catch on things (e.g., people walking by, high curbs, etc.).

If you've got one, can you please post your opinion and recommendation?
I purchased one from gominigo. I think it the same as the one you linked but here is the gominigo link. http://www.gominigo.com/18545.html?*...ession*id*val*

I like it a lot. The only minor criticism I have is that the part of the bracket is kind of bendy. I think it more or less has to be and it is not a big deal.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:54 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Romi is going to have her plate center mounted on the bumper. Any front plate is an eyesore, as far as I am concerned, but at least the plate holder that came with Romi fits flush against the bumper filling in the gaps between the plate and the bumper rather nicely.

It also hides the seams and two starter holes in the bumper cover.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:48 AM
chainfire
2nd Gear
LOL

ok i ment i will have a plate holder mounted on the front bumper with drilled holes

and no i know it is only a licence plate but it is requirmnt in some states and kids and i meant teens when i say kids will do weird things

Old 05-19-2007, 09:50 AM
chainfire
2nd Gear
Skuzzy i am with you and will do the same

Old 05-19-2007, 10:00 AM
nrc
2nd Gear
Unfortunately looking at pictures of the R56 no holes mount isn't as nice a solution as the R53. The position is a bit too high and kind of awkward.

Also, it appears that the plate stands out far enough from the car that you can see big hole where the tow hook cover should be. That's just not a clean install. I think you'd have to get a replacement tow hook cover, probably paint it, and drill a hole in that for the "no holes" plate mount.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:05 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mcarlo52
I'm pretty sure I'll get the tow-hook mount plate holder, but some of the points made seem valid, theft and banging on shins, etc. Here in CA we have to have the front plate and I opted out when my dealer asked. I had planned to mount it only if stopped for a fix-it ticket. My daughters car got ticketed and it was only $10 if fixed and $75 to pay the fine and not do anything.
We've had it on for awhile and never had an issue with banging shins or anything like that, the location just does not make sense for that (it would be more likely to burn yourself on the hot exhaust pipes when unloading the hatch then being near the tow hook mount IMHO). Theft could happen, but I don't think it is terribly likely with the tow hook plate, it is simply not that easy to remove - of course a thief could steal the wheels or break into your car if they really wanted but I personally don't want to live in fear of that and, say have a junky car or bad wheels by that logic. Vandalism also happens to nice cars, what are you gonna do, you know? In any case I much prefer it to the center mount as I've said and I'm super glad the car doesn't have any unsightly seams to cover up in the center.

Of course no front plate would be ideal, but I ain't messing with that again in this town - the DPT hands out tickets of ovder $100 for no front plate and there is no contesting it with a broken mount excuse. That *might* work when being pulled over by a PO as they can dole out the fix-it ticket option, but the parking police simply hand out the ticket based on the letter of the law that states you must have a front plate no matter how you do it and there are no ways around it and they do not rescind the ticket (you can even get multiples) - trust me I know.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:10 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nrc
Unfortunately looking at pictures of the R56 no holes mount isn't as nice a solution as the R53. The position is a bit too high and kind of awkward.

Also, it appears that the plate stands out far enough from the car that you can see big hole where the tow hook cover should be. That's just not a clean install. I think you'd have to get a replacement tow hook cover, probably paint it, and drill a hole in that for the "no holes" plate mount.
I don't know if it would look any better to you, but just fyi the plate does have a few positions on the one we got, so it can be adjusted lower/higher. As for the tow hook hole, it really is not something that stands out when the plate is on to me, perhaps on a lighter color car it would (ours is HB) but all in all it just doesn't scream 'look at me' from behind the mounting

Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chainfire
LOL

ok i ment i will have a plate holder mounted on the front bumper with drilled holes

and no i know it is only a licence plate but it is requirmnt in some states and kids and i meant teens when i say kids will do weird things
It would be easier to undo the two screws on the bumper to steal your plate than it would to undo the four screws the you are offered with the tow hook adaptor.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nrc
Height is adjustable.

Once the plate is on it, you are not going to see the port. It follows the angel of the bumper and is only about an inch away.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree...I don't think your plates are any safe one way or the other. Purely an aesthetic choice, imo. It's nice to have choices!!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 AM
chainfire
2nd Gear
ok ok i submit

but i am still going for the more traditional plate mount

Old 05-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chainfire
ok ok i submit

but i am still going for the more traditional plate mount
"I cannot allow that to happen, Dave."
- HAL

Old 05-19-2007, 03:38 PM
nrc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Once the plate is on it, you are not going to see the port. It follows the angel of the bumper and is only about an inch away.
That's great. Someone needs to tell this person to adjust their plate.

Honestly, I think this person probably just agrees the plate looks too high covering the hole and is trying to get it as low as possible.

Assuming it all comes to pass (no MINI yet) I'll probably just leave the plate the back and only mount it after I get a ticket or two. But this will be nice to have around if that should happen.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:14 AM
chainfire
2nd Gear
i just dont like the "look mom another place to hang my drycleaning"
look it has

Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Dubaian
4th Gear
i have a 07 MCS.. and bought the no holes.. i thinks its worth it.. because if you need the plates or notes u can decide without the holes on the bumper!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have this product and have quite liked it. I used the bracket but attached the plate to it directly, naked. Well, the plate was naked, I wasn't. Anyway, it's a GREAT look, in my opinion, on the R53. That said, sure, you can ding it on things if you get too close. I've never scraped a calf or whatever but I've pushed it around squeezing around crap in the garage. You just bend the plate back to flush again. The bracket itself is solid. And adjustable.

I'm actually moving to a center plate configuration. I put an aero kit on the MINI, and want to have the tow hook, so I have to go with an aero front plate mount... just as soon as I find a source...

Quick Reply: R56 "No Holes" front license plate mount -- worth it?