R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Getting Frustrated, Need Some Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 09:45 AM
WiscoTy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Frustrated, Need Some Help Please!

So I have a 2008 r55 clubman with 151,000 miles, disconnected my battery, Replaced my clutch, walnut blasted my Valves as well as replaced the valve cover and all related gaskets. Everything has been reassembled, and now she wont start, all connections have been checked like 20 times, all fuses have been checked, it cranks and cranks but wont fire, every once in a while, (10 cycles or so) there is a slight pop like she wants to start, but still nothing.

after my initial start attempt i did get a few codes I've never seen before they are as follows, P0100, P15E8, P1138, reset them with my code reader, but the P15E8 Persists. i have not yet tried to change the MAF, headed to the store to pick one up in a little bit.

Has anyone ever delt with an issue like this, is there something that I'm missing? Please lend my your help and expertise.

Thank you in Advance.
Ty.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:02 AM
Clockwork
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
has the car been sitting long? Seems like a fuel distribution issue. Perhaps the fuel pump is tired.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:45 PM
WiscoTy
Neutral
Originally Posted by Clockwork
has the car been sitting long? Seems like a fuel distribution issue. Perhaps the fuel pump is tired.
No, Clutch started slipping 2 weeks ago, parts got here last Friday, job was complete by Sunday night. I've tested each spark plug, have strong spark on all cylinders, definitely can see atomized fuel being thrown from the spark plug holes. i do not have a fuel pressure tester yet *(might in a few hours tho lol) is there some other way to ensure that im getting proper fuel flow? Also, I can hear the fuel pump prime the system when i press the start button once ( first key position) and definitely spell unburnt fuel.

I'm just super confused, nothing I did should be preventing the car from starting as It was running perfectly fine Friday, which suggests I definitely did something wrong, lol......ugh.

Further Questions:

My clutch pedal seems flat as **ck, maybe i should it bleed it? are there any systems that might prevent start up due to lack of pressure from the master or slave?

I'm attempting to start the vehicle without the cat back exhaust, avoiding the extra work to tear down again (or at this point for the 10th time) that shouldn't affect anything right??

It ran 6 days ago, what are the odds that this is something majorly stupid that im overlooking?

I've read in a few posts about people having to reset their ecu with similar issues, is this a thing?

is there a specific orientation that the clutch be installed in? other than the locator pins being in the right place? (dual mass flywheel was never removed)

Old 10-18-2022, 02:03 PM
WiscoTy
Neutral
Anyone ???? really thought i'd get a lot more help from everyone on here.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:35 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
All I can think, is you missed a harness connector, or swapped a connector somewhere

Old 10-19-2022, 08:42 AM
WiscoTy
Neutral
Thank you so much for your reply, been beating my head against a brick wall over this issue for over a week.

I thought the same, but have gone through and checked them all more than once, the only harness connectors that i can find that can be swapped (that will fit in the wrong place) are the 2 vac line actuators (for the bov and waste gate) behind/under the intake and the 2 on the right side of the motor (the coolant temp sensor, and the one in the block directly adjacent, are there any others that can be swapped ?

possibly a dumb question but i have not re-connected my steering wheel for the simple fact of the possibility of having to remove the subframe again, could this be a potential issue?

Old 10-19-2022, 09:29 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I would try reconnecting the steering wheel

Old 10-19-2022, 06:16 PM
WiscoTy
Neutral
Shall do, imma be so infuriated if that is the reason that Special Red is refusing to start, . going to attempt that tomorrow and will report back with my findings. Thank you again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by WiscoTy; 10-19-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:10 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 847 Likes on 535 Posts
I'm no expert and don't own a clubman (yet).
However; You mentioned the clutch feeling "flat as **ck".
When my clutch finally went - No matter the clutch pedal depressed (to the floor), my Mini would crank and crank and crank but never start.
I think your suggestion/suspicion on bleeding the clutch maybe worth a try.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:52 PM
r55forme
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thinking about the steering wheel, is the red steering wheel lock icon on? I remember people mentioning that even though their steering lock was working fine, a low battery caused some issues, so I wonder if yours got triggered somehow? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-warning.html

Old 10-29-2022, 01:38 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
If you disconnected the sensor for item #7 here, maybe you forgot to reconnect it? Not the easiest sensor to access ---

Old 11-13-2022, 06:46 PM
Club_R55
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WiscoTy
Anyone ???? really thought i'd get a lot more help from everyone on here.
Have you hooked up a scanner and reset all the engine adaptations? You removed alot and installed alot of new stuff.

Old 11-17-2022, 04:29 AM
furnitureman9
2nd Gear
If you took the front bumper off there is a sensor on it that will prevent the car from starting if not connected. I did a clutch replacement and forgot to plug it in. It didn't start until it was connected. I believe it was the outside temp sensor. Connected on the passenger side near the fog lights. It's a sensor by itself that has a connection. Hope this helps.