R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 PM
princesscathryn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change

I've read some threads about free oil change provided by mini dealers... my SA never mentioned it to me so I'm wondering if this is available to all mini owners...?

If yes, is it a lifetime deal? Can we have it done in any mini dealer or only the dealer we purchased our mini from?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:37 PM
trbasil
2nd Gear
yes it's all MINI's and it's free if the car's computer says that it's time for it to be changed, or 1 year from the last oil change.

It's part of the 3 year/36,000 mile full service warranty and as a warranty from MINI it can be preformed and any MINI dealer

P.S. it's not just free oil changes, you can also get your wiper blades replaced in this time period too, I also got my front breaks replaced too in my first MINI, when they wore out.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by princesscathryn
I've read some threads about free oil change provided by mini dealers... my SA never mentioned it to me so I'm wondering if this is available to all mini owners...?

If yes, is it a lifetime deal? Can we have it done in any mini dealer or only the dealer we purchased our mini from?
I would hightly recommend you read both the owners manual and the maintenance manual. They spell out the various MINI warranties and maintenance services in great detail.
You can have warranty and/or service work done at any MINI dealer.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would recommend that you get it changed at least once after about 1500-2000 miles at your own expense though as the dealers will only change it when the car tells them it needs changing or once a year which ever comes first.

The Mini will tell you when you start the car in the tach display a mileage. That mileage is the mileage to your next service interval. My Mini has been driven for over 9500 miles and still tels me that i have 13000 mile until my next service that would be over 22,000 miles to the first oil change.

I am not having that so i will put in extra oil chagnes as needed every 6000 miles or so.

Jus tmake sure if yo do have it srvices at oter than your dealer tha they use only approved oil your manual will tell you what the requriements are for the oil and make sure they stick with it. Ask them to show yo the ratings on the can an make sure it is an approved oil.

Or

Take it to your mini dealer and have them do it but pay for it.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 PM
princesscathryn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
I would hightly recommend you read both the owners manual and the maintenance manual. They spell out the various MINI warranties and maintenance services in great detail.
You can have warranty and/or service work done at any MINI dealer.
Yea I'd definitely do that, after I receive my car. I've been researching on mini maintanence these days and found the maintanence costs are outrageous... ($1200 for brake replacement, $7-8K for transmission replacement?) I'm thinking if I should get an extended warranty, or lease the car instead of financing.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Please be careful about not having a dealer do the oil changes. The cars come with synthetic oil in them. Recommended interval is 10k miles. The dealer does the first two changes as part of the factory warranty. If you do your own, or have someone else do them, make sure you use a comparable quality full synthetic oil (and keep proof of what you put in there).

FYI, changing filter and oil at a Jiffy Lube will run around $70 for the same Castrol synthetic oil.

I also would recommend against an early oil change.

In the 'old' days the mfgs would put in a 'break in' oil. A bit different in performance so that it would allow the engine to wear a bit more than usual. That would allow things like the piston rings to 'seat' themselves and bearings to match themselves to the shafts. With modern materials and mfg tolerances that is not required anymore. Your Mini did not come with 'break in' oil so does not need to be changed at an early interval.

Synthetic oils are also not subject to the same breakdown as std oils so do not need to be changed as often. Some engine test engineers many years ago found that synthetic oils have an almost unlimited life as long as good filters are used and changed periodically. Many diesel fleets will not change the oil until particulate accumulation shows up in oil analysis. Some of their engines run 100k miles between oil changes.

I use a 20k interval for my cars and change filters every 10k. Have been using synthetic oil (Mobil 1) since 1985.

charlie

Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
I do my own oil changes and I run Royal Purple in it.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:42 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Please be careful about not having a dealer do the oil changes. The cars come with synthetic oil in them. Recommended interval is 10k miles. The dealer does the first two changes as part of the factory warranty. If you do your own, or have someone else do them, make sure you use a comparable quality full synthetic oil (and keep proof of what you put in there).

FYI, changing filter and oil at a Jiffy Lube will run around $70 for the same Castrol synthetic oil.

I also would recommend against an early oil change.

In the 'old' days the mfgs would put in a 'break in' oil. A bit different in performance so that it would allow the engine to wear a bit more than usual. That would allow things like the piston rings to 'seat' themselves and bearings to match themselves to the shafts. With modern materials and mfg tolerances that is not required anymore. Your Mini did not come with 'break in' oil so does not need to be changed at an early interval.

Synthetic oils are also not subject to the same breakdown as std oils so do not need to be changed as often. Some engine test engineers many years ago found that synthetic oils have an almost unlimited life as long as good filters are used and changed periodically. Many diesel fleets will not change the oil until particulate accumulation shows up in oil analysis. Some of their engines run 100k miles between oil changes.

I use a 20k interval for my cars and change filters every 10k. Have been using synthetic oil (Mobil 1) since 1985.

charlie
All I can say, Charlie, is get ready for some very different opinions on the useful life of synthetic oil.
There is no "recommended interval" for the MINI oil change. The oil change interval is different for every car, based on the on board computer's calculations of how the car's been driven. A nominal range of around 15k miles is usually mentioned, but the actual change intervals can be much higher or lower. The dealer will change your oil at least once per year if you haven't driven enough to trigger the oil change indicator, so you may end up with more than two changes under warranty. I don't put too many miles on my MINI, and it does a lot of short trips in cold weather, so I change my oil every six months regardless of mileage, and I did an initial change at 1k. A DIY change takes me about a half-hour, and costs around $30. It's cheap insurance, as far as I'm concerned. I'm also a fan of Mobil1, but 20k is way too long for my comfort level.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
I understand about the computer calculation. If it tells me 20k, then I don't mind. My WRX was done at 20-25k, now has 150k miles on it without any problems. Compression checks show very good (almost same level as new).

I know there are people with other opinions. My experience is very good with it.

And, yes, I can change my own oil for the price of the filter and oil. But, why do it when the dealer will do it?

My message is to stick with mfg recommendations.

But, as long as you use recommended oil, changing more often will not hurt it. You can change it every week if you want. I just feel it isn't needed, with 20 yrs of synthetic oil use to back it up.

charlie

Old 10-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Just wanted to add that I know a whole bunch of long time MINI driver who back up what portablevcb writes.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by portablevcb
I understand about the computer calculation.
charlie
I guess I was confused by your first post, which stated "recommended interval is 10K". Bottom line, we both have a maintenance schedule we feel is best for our cars, based on our own experiences.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Just wanted to add that I know a whole bunch of long time MINI driver who back up what portablevcb writes.
Otra - Yes, and a whole bunch that don't! This is probably one of the most debated topics on NAM, along with the best brand of oil to use. I'm not sure if my frequent oil changes are absolutely necessary, but I worry about any oil holding up for 15k or 20k miles, and changing the oil is a simple and inexpensive job for me. If changing it based on the OBC reading is good enough for others, that's fine with me.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Amen - to each his/her own. I just wanted to pipe in for the other side.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:15 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
I agree with whatever makes you comfortable.

And, just to be fair, the synthetic oil debate has been going on since they were introduced, not just here on NAM.

I looked at a lot of engine test data that was done in the 80's by the different mfgs (car mfgs, not oil companies) and made my initial decisions based on that. My continued confidence has come from long term use in my cars and trucks.

In most cars (where the mfg does not demand synthetic) using cheap dino oil and changing it every 3k miles will be just as good as using the synthetics, IMHO.

I said 10k because if you look at the maint schedule lists for the long term warranties it shows oil changes every 10k. It is an estimate and is on the short end of things so they can sell extended service plans, ie, if they showed an oil change every 20k then it would be hard to sell a $500 service plan.

charlie

PS Around 1985 the chief Ford engine test engineer put synthetics in a motor and ran it for an equivalent 100k without changing oil or filters. At the end of the test the components were all still within spec for a new car assembly. That report was part of an ASME conference presentation.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
risahak
Neutral
Let's beat this thing to death! No stopping here...

Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 AM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
Let me add a different spin on oil change frequency, synthetic or Dino. Of late many new cars are prone to sludge. This may be due to extended oil change intervals or poorly designed crankcase ventilation systems. What ever the cause sludge has killed a lot of newer engines. Check the problems with some Chrysler , Toyota and SAAB engines just to name a few. I own a very high mileage SAAB, late model with the potential for sludge. I run only Mobile1 and use to change it out at 2500 mile intervals and of late given the high cost of all lubricants I'm doing 5000 mile intervals. The inside of my engine is spotless and runs as well today as it approaches 200,000 miles as it did as a new car. I have not heard anything posted about our Minis being prone to sludge and if any one has i'd be interested in hearing. Given this issue I still plan to change my oil in the Mini at 5000 mile intervals. Turbo engines make heat. Heat is hard on oil. If the S model can melt the hood scoop I'm sure it can breakdown the oil. Maybe you high mileage oil change interval folks should do an oil analysis and let us know what's going on. To each his own. Drive safe, Dan

Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Q: But, why do it when the dealer will do it?
A: Because no one is as careful with my autos and motorcycles as I am. When I do it (whatever it is), I know how it was done and that it was done correctly.