R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Barn doors not locking

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 AM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barn doors not locking

Hi everyone,

I have searched for the answer to this in my owner's manual and here on the forums, but can't find it.

I noticed yesterday when I locked my Clubman with the remote that I was still able to open the barn doors. Both the driver and passenger doors locked and I was unable to open them. I also locked with the button on the driver door handle (I have comfort access). Barn doors still opened.

I can't think of a good reason for the barn doors not to lock, and I wasn't able to lock them when I left the car. Do I need to call my dealer ASAP, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
astra
4th Gear
something there is wrong..

my back doors lock when i lock the whole car.. only open when the passenger side door is unlocked,,, or when I hit the back door button.

I DO NOT Have Comfort access.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MrsZug
Austin ~ '08 PW/PW Clubman / Hot Choc Lounge Leather / Cream Color Line / Cold Weather Package / Convenience Package
The Convenience Package includes the Comfort Access System. Did you have the key fob in your pocket?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OWG
The Convenience Package includes the Comfort Access System. Did you have the key fob in your pocket?
Yes, I had the key fob in my hand. That's what I was using to lock the car. It locked the driver and passenger doors just fine.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Alphawave
I don't have Comfort Access, but thought all of this was programmable. When you hit full lock, and walk away, leaving fob inside house, are you still getting open barn doors?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM
thulewx
4th Gear
Lock everything then put the key fob in the house - come back out and try opening the rear doors without the fob in the vicinity - I think they automatically unlock when the fob is near...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 AM
OWG
5th Gear
It's part of the comfort access.

Just as the driver's and passengers door will lock and unlock by pushing the little button on the door handle without using the fob, the back door unlock's and pop's open when you actuate the handle.

Here's how to test it. Lock the car. Take the fob and put it more than say 30 feet away. Go back to the car and try to open the barn door. Is it locked?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 AM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
Apparently that was the issue. I put the fob in the house, and voila ~ barn doors are locked! Even with the fob a few feet from the car, they still remained locked. Only when the fob was in my hand and I tried to open the barn door was it unlocked.

Thanks for answering my question!!!

This ranks right up there with the "one reverse light" idiosyncrasy.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Alphawave
Glad it's sorted! Motor on, MrsZug!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM
hfs3
3rd Gear
Apparently that was the issue. I put the fob in the house, and voila ~ barn doors are locked! Even with the fob a few feet from the car, they still remained locked. Only when the fob was in my hand and I tried to open the barn door was it unlocked.

I don't know if that one should be such a surprise, as it actually makes sense! Comfort access + fob = open door.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 AM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hfs3
I don't know if that one should be such a surprise, as it actually makes sense! Comfort access + fob = open door.
That's true, but on the driver and passenger doors, comfort access requires the push of a button to unlock.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
hfs3
3rd Gear
That's true, but on the driver and passenger doors, comfort access requires the push of a button to unlock.
True, but doesn't it follow that the button on the backside of the barn door handle would serve the same purpose?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hfs3
True, but doesn't it follow that the button on the backside of the barn door handle would serve the same purpose?
I see the "button" as a door handle release, not a button. The driver and passenger doors have a separate button to push to unlock, then you pull the handle to open the door.

Either way, I suppose somehow I should have known this. Chalk one up to inexperience. I appreciate everyone's help.

I did just find out that peanut butter is truly the antidote to Banana Gloss on the black trim...thank goodness!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:57 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mrs Zug,

When I first locked my car, I did the same thing as you. I wanted to check and "make sure" it was locked. It took a couple times of me checking the back barn doors before the lightbulb went off in my head, and I realized I was holding the fob.

This foum is a place to ask questions if you have them. Don't feel like you "should have known it." These cars are so quirky, I imagine everyone will run up against something that puzzles them as well.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Actually in some strange way, I had the opposite problem as the original poster. I have comfort access and always wished that the barn doors were part of that...I automatically assumed they weren't included because they don't have the buttons on the outside of the handles like the side doors.

So in that way, this thread answers two questions

On a separate note, has anyone tried clicking the left barn door handle immediately after clicking the right door handle? If you do this...both barn doors open automatically without pulling on the doors. You just need to click the handles.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Yeppers, if you have Comfort Access and the key on your person, the barn doors will open.
Hopefully that's it and you don't have a problem.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear

I don't see this as an idiosyncrasy. This is the Clubman equivalent to being able to pop the trunk remotely, only you don't have to take the key out of your pocket to do it. I really like this feature and I am glad I went for the convenience package.