F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Thoughts on My Gen 3 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:56 AM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on My Gen 3 MCS

Earlier this year I ended up inheriting both payments and vehicle for my 2011 MC Justa when my son decided to move to OR and live with his in-laws. He went to HS there and I believe felt MA too expensive. So it goes... Although we were going in together for the cost of the 2011, and had owned it for more than three years I really didn't start to get familiar with it until I was driving it as a daily. So for the past four months I've been getting acquainted with the vehicle and learning to accept its foibles.

Because I sort of got stuck with the vehicle it never really set right with me. I added stripes and spoiler and brought it back as well as I could from its misuse at my son and daughter-in-laws hands. This was all in an attempt to make it mine but truthfully all the paint scratches and lack of care done to what had been a new car really aggravated me each time I got into the car. So when Mini called soliciting a trade in for a new vehicle I was a ready sucker.

Name:  f0f476a4-b719-4ec0-bac6-361e8044b7ef_zps5u898exj.jpg
Views: 4158
Size:  282.6 KB

I went down to the dealership and in a few hours time walked out with a new MCS (a study in red). My first impression is that the car is no longer cute but has turned pretty sexy, The longer hood and improved interior make for a much better driving experience. Gone are the superfluous center speedo and difficult to navigate turn signal stalk setting which are all now accessible through the radio interface. Gone is the discriminating cup holder that only allow use of one of my travel cups. Gone is the engine that only mildly responds to acceleration attempts at highway speeds making it embarrassing when accelerating to get into an empty slot on the highway while changing lanes since by the time it's ready to go someone else has already filled the slot. Gone is the quirky, "I'll open your windows and sunroof remotely but just don't ask me to open the sunroof all the way; if you want it open all the way you'll need to get in the car and do it like a man" remote access; lord I hate being talked down to by a car especially a diminutive one. Also gone is the four cylinder naturally aspirated French made engine replaced with a true two liter turbo charged Teutonic one.

Name:  9dbcf2c8-9de2-47ac-96e4-3f09417dbb65_zpsqkrm2f1j.jpg
Views: 4206
Size:  2.83 MB

I've been really pleased with all the redesign which were from my understanding pretty much mandated due to safety concerns. Having reasonable interior and exterior lighting, window, lock, and mirror controls all make for a much less heady driving experience. Having an engine with a real power band as opposed to the diminutive one on the naturally aspirated engine makes for not only better daily driving but for me likely safer driving as well. And finally, one thing I never considered on the 2011 was the need for fog lamps until I inherited it; I really appreciate them on the S. One thing I expected to miss more than I do is the HK sound system I had in the 2011; the stock stereo in the S is really pretty adequate considering I'm a part time guitarist and musician and really like music a lot. Also, being able to switch into three different modes of driving takes some of the sting away of losing the fuel efficiency of the naturally aspirated engine. I find that for most of my commuting I'm using the Green mode.

OK, the new car still has some quirks. Perhaps lost is some of the nimbleness which the old Justa provided, the go kart experience. Also the big circumference light in the center of the dashboard is cute but kind of contrived (although I must admit it is fun in disco mode at night; I'm looking for a disco globe to hang from my rear view mirror to go along with it). And yes, the key fob has gained girth along with the car but as we Americans know, bigger is better. I like the easy controls of lighting and the way the door handles light when the unlock button is pressed. For me also the step-up to the new sport seats is another gain. As one reviewer of the new S said, it's Mini's first real sports car and really feels like one. So far I'm loving it.

-Lee

Last edited by HogWldFLTR; 09-09-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:36 PM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's a really good looking color, and I'm not big on red cars.

Loved the remotely-open-the-sunroof remark, as I feel the same way.

Congrats on the new car! F56s are starting to grow on me, aesthetically. Starting to, at least.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:01 AM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacobj
That's a really good looking color, and I'm not big on red cars.

Loved the remotely-open-the-sunroof remark, as I feel the same way.

Congrats on the new car! F56s are starting to grow on me, aesthetically. Starting to, at least.
The red is so nice that I was going to stripe it and decided not to; it's just too pretty the way it is.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 AM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HogWldFLTR
The red is so nice that I was going to stripe it and decided not to; it's just too pretty the way it is.
Good call! I held out for my non-striped eclipse grey r56.
Car looks very classy in that red with no stripes, especially with the body color roof!