R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Sunroof Size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Size?

I'm considering going back to my MA and having them spec the sunroof on the Clubbie I have on order, but have a question. Is/are the sunroof(s) the same size as the R53?

I ask because I have some snazzy sunroof shades for my current Mini (that keep the car MUCH cooler in our Texas summers), and would want to reuse them if at all possible.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Clubman sunroof is 49in X 30.5in.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Mantid
2nd Gear
I measured my Clubman glass and my R53 glass from the top outside of the car quickly and they both measured approximately 48" x 31.5" in total area, but the R-53 glass is split past the middle at 28" (looking toward the rear) and the Clubman glass is split right in the middle at 24". And the inside area of both parts on either car is a different size for the purpose of fitting one of those sunshields up there between the screen and the glass.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:35 AM
Doogs
4th Gear
Drat! Thanks for checking!

Old 04-11-2008, 04:44 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Doogs, either get it tinted or have some vinyl design of your choice put on it. My wife has the factory checkerboards on hers and it makes a big difference. I imagine that a tint would really make it nice.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Ahchoo01
1st Gear
Visibility?

Originally Posted by rhawth99
Doogs, either get it tinted or have some vinyl design of your choice put on it. My wife has the factory checkerboards on hers and it makes a big difference. I imagine that a tint would really make it nice.
I've ordered a Mini Clubman with a sunroof and it's slated for production this upcoming Monday, April 14! I'm so excited!

I did see that there are vinyl patterns you can put atop the sunroof. My only questions are:

1. How does it look? Is it quality material?
2. How does that affect visibility? I rather like the idea of being able to look through the clear glass of the sunroof on days when it might be sunny but perhaps a tad too chilly to actually open it.
3. Conversely, on days when it is too sunny, does having a vinyl design over the sunroof mitigate the amount of light and heat entering the car?

Finally, do you think you could possibly post some pictures of what your wife's car looks like with the checkerboard pattern? I'm excited to see how that looks.

Thanks so much!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
This week my dealer gave me a Cooper Clubman auto loaner while my R53 S was getting serviced. The car had a sunroof. It was nice but it got noisy after 65MPH and in one instance it refused to tilt and open. Personally.. I think the sunroof is a waste of money. Too much sunlight/heat in the interior and the standard mesh screen is next to useless and feels flimsy to the touch. If you live in a cooler climate, you may get to enjoy it more. But in Florida weater, I question the wisdom of this option.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Personally.. I think the sunroof is a waste of money. Too much sunlight/heat in the interior and the standard mesh screen is next to useless and feels flimsy to the touch. If you live in a cooler climate, you may get to enjoy it more. But in Florida weater, I question the wisdom of this option.
I'm of two minds about the sunroof. I have one in my R53, and definitely know what you mean about heat (Central Texas in August being anything but cool). But I park in a garage both at home and at work, so it's not that big of a deal 90% of the time. I'm not a fan of the mesh screen or the wind noise or the extra weight, but I love the size and the airy feeling it lends the cabin. And on a nice spring day (like today), I absolutely love it.

I've ordered my R55 without for all the negatives listed above, but now I'm wondering if I'll regret giving up the positives. But if I can't reuse my sunroof shades (100% necessary from June-September), well, that's a big strike against.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
To be honest with you, I was happy when I got back to my non-sunroof R53 and non-sunroof R55. The loaner had the anthracite headliner and black interior plastic trim. Even with the sunroof the car felt claustrophobic to an extent.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:06 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Ahchoo01:
It does cut down on the amount of sunshine that comes through the sunroof - a noticeable difference between my non-tinted and no vinyl sunroof compared to hers. It seems to cut the heat down also when driving with it closed. You can still see through the vinyl from the inside looking up.

The vinyl seems like pretty good quality. My only issue is that the vinyl has spotted somewhat, I have been meaning to try some wax on it to clean.

I'll try to post up some close up pictures later - there are a couple of shots in my gallery but they are of the total car.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:49 PM
jjkell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
Ahchoo01:
It does cut down on the amount of sunshine that comes through the sunroof - a noticeable difference between my non-tinted and no vinyl sunroof compared to hers. It seems to cut the heat down also when driving with it closed. You can still see through the vinyl from the inside looking up.

The vinyl seems like pretty good quality. My only issue is that the vinyl has spotted somewhat, I have been meaning to try some wax on it to clean.

I'll try to post up some close up pictures later - there are a couple of shots in my gallery but they are of the total car.
I haven't had a chance to see the sunroof in person so here's my question: Is there a panel for the sunroof that is made of the same material of the interior roof that opens and closes over the sunroof, or is it just the sunroof itself between the occupants and the sun?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Large

Old 06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Apple
6th Gear
My new one has no sunroof to hot for it

Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jjkell
I haven't had a chance to see the sunroof in person so here's my question: Is there a panel for the sunroof that is made of the same material of the interior roof that opens and closes over the sunroof, or is it just the sunroof itself between the occupants and the sun?
No, unfortunately, there is no solid/opaque cover or shade of any kind between you and the sunroof glass, just a mesh shade that can be pulled across the opening to shield you from some of the sun and glare. That may work in the UK, but defnitely not in many parts of the US where the sun is quite strong! It's one of the biggest complaints against the sunroof from owners and prospective owners alike. Without anything else to protect you, it's very warm and bright, but there are many options from sunshades to roof graphics to certain types of tint that can alleviate the problem if you want a sun roof. MINI would be wise to listen to a large percentage of its owners and offer a matching OEM headliner panel as part of the sunroof.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear

nope, no panel. Just the sunroof, and a perforated vinyl shade.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
LOL, jinx 3Dog!!

(I'm a 3 dog depot, too! )

Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
LOL, jinx 3Dog!!

(I'm a 3 dog depot, too! )
Dog people must think alike...and at the same time! BTW, all three of mine fit in the Clubbie, will yours? I know you must be counting the hours 'til you take delivery - Congrats!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM
jjkell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
No, unfortunately, there is no solid/opaque cover or shade of any kind between you and the sunroof glass, just a mesh shade that can be pulled across the opening to shield you from some of the sun and glare. That may work in the UK, but defnitely not in many parts of the US where the sun is quite strong! It's one of the biggest complaints against the sunroof from owners and prospective owners alike. Without anything else to protect you, it's very warm and bright, but there are many options from sunshades to roof graphics to certain types of tint that can alleviate the problem if you want a sun roof. MINI would be wise to listen to a large percentage of its owners and offer a matching OEM headliner panel as part of the sunroof.
Thanks for the info 3DD and Lady G. I was going to place my order tomorrow but now I don't know what to do about the sunroof. Oh well, I'll figure something out...

Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info 3DD and Lady G. I was going to place my order tomorrow but now I don't know what to do about the sunroof. Oh well, I'll figure something out...
You're welcome, but I didn't mean to dissuade you. We ordered it anyway (and are happy with it), but will come up with a work-around. It's a personal decision; Good Luck with it!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:20 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
Dog people must think alike...and at the same time! BTW, all three of mine fit in the Clubbie, will yours? I know you must be counting the hours 'til you take delivery - Congrats!
Thanks! Yep, I am dyin' for next Saturday! Only 8 more sleeps!

My pups will fit in the Clubbie! I have 3 Labs~ one of each color. I have my Poochstyle cover ready to go! WOOT!!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:51 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Thanks! Yep, I am dyin' for next Saturday! Only 8 more sleeps!

My pups will fit in the Clubbie! I have 3 Labs~ one of each color. I have my Poochstyle cover ready to go! WOOT!!
Ahhh, yes, I remember the anxiety and sleepless nights. Hang in there, Lady G!

Sounds like you'll have a boot-full! Ours are all little ones (non-shedding, lucky for us ) and they love to ride, but either way, their love is priceless and immeasurable! (That's actually part of the reason we wanted the Clubbie!)

Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 AM
foxtrot
Neutral
My pups will fit in the Clubbie! I have 3 Labs~ one of each color.
*chuckle* Collect the whole set!

More seriously, I'm in kind of the same dilemma.

On the one hand, I'm not planning on trading in my Miata, so I can get my open-air driving in when I feel a need for it even if I don't order the sunroof.

On the other hand, the Clubman makes a much better roadtripmobile. Is the basically $1000 for a sunroof going to be worth it for the two or three weeks a year I'm 1000 miles from home and want to go wherever I'm going that day with the sunroof open, knowing that it lets in a lot of glare otherwise? :-/

In the end, sure, I know it comes down to personal preference, but it sure would be nice if the folks at Mini would've put an opaque sliding panel like everyone else.