R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Finally listened and decided to get the windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 AM
toomuchfun
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally listened and decided to get the windscreen

I've been reading a lot from posts that the windscreen does quite a bit at reducing noise and increasing top down comfort, especially when the weather is freezing/cold/cool, and for the past month was like "yeah yeah yeah, whatever."

Well, I went to Morristown MINI today to buy the windscreen (btw mad props to Irving and Dave D. (my MA), their service is great and they're uber friendly) and drove home on I-287 and was WOW'ed

I thought there was a large difference in wind and comfort. I never thought a piece of fishnet stocking wrapped over a glorified coat hanger would make a difference, but it DOES!

I also got the JCW strut bar (bling!) while I was there, but I doubt the strut bar will ever make as much a physically noticible difference as the windscreen. I should've gotten the windscreen back in February, it would've made my top down days when the temps were breaking freezing MUCH more comfortable!

So all you cabrio veterans out there with loads of top down motoring advice, keep sharing your tips even if you think you're beating a dead horse. You may yet get some of us noobs to see the light.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
You might also notice that the wind screen not only sets up behind your seats, it also covers the back seat. It affords protection from the wind for things thrown in the back seat, keeps them from flying out! If you want a little more air flow on warmer days, just fold the upright down. You don't have to take it out and put it back in all the time. Mine stays in place all the time.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd love to have one but they are kinda pricey.. I have been on the look out for a used one but no luck so far..Someone on ebay has some cheaper then my local Mini dealer but still well over $300..

Old 04-03-2007, 07:31 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The screen also helps keep the backseat upholstery much cleaner. My wife has the beige leather in her car, and driving around with the top down would get the back seats filthy in a matter of days. I guess the wind coming over the windshield just slams into the rear seatbacks.

After putting the windscreen on her car, it stays cleaner a lot longer. I haven't noticed it as much with the dark blue leather on mine, but I'm sure it's helping there, too.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:09 PM
toomuchfun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rc'S
You don't have to take it out and put it back in all the time. Mine stays in place all the time.
Now that I have it in and I don't want to take it out, this is when my friends want to drive around in the MINI I'm going to only let one at a time on board now!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Macbest
2nd Gear
Just got mine yesterday. I have been driving top down to work in the Bay Area where temps in the morning have been 48 degrees. I put it in last night and could not believe the difference it made going to work. It looks like now, until it rains, I will be top down every morning. Amazing.

What is also neat is that it can stay in the car even with the roof up. Those that have it may take it for granted, but I have two friends with Mercedes CLK's and they never use the supplied windscreen as they can't put the top up with it on. This is a big advanatge for Mini since I often put the top up when I go to the store, etc. I certainly wouldn't want to have to put it in and take it out at each stop!

Also amazed at the impressive case it comes in. The whole thing could be $100 less if they downgraded the case. Almost looks like you could put clothes in it for a weekend trip as it has a huge strap to carry on your shoulder (almost like a garment bag).

Got mine from Morristown Mini. Tried to get my local dealer to match the price when I bought my new car a few weeks ago. They said "no way, that price is below my cost". Well I don't believe it. Hard to believe that Morristown Mini would lose on each sell to "try to make it up on volume". Bottom line, is they rock in terms of prices, promptness in shipping, etc. I definitely recommend them for all items that are sold by the dealer as there prices on nearly everything (clothes, parts, etc.) are discounted. Why would anybody buy anywhere else (other than if you have to have it TODAY)?

Last edited by Macbest; 04-05-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:01 PM
'Rita
2nd Gear
Just got my windscreen yesterday...

Ordered it from Morristown Mini also. Couldn't beat the price. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:24 AM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
I know that this doesn't apply to most, but MINI of South Atlanta (formerly Hank Aaron MINI) is offering to throw in the windscreen with the purchase of a new cabrio. http://hankaaronmini.com/

I wish I coulda gotten that deal...

Old 04-06-2007, 06:52 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zeusboy
I know that this doesn't apply to most, but MINI of South Atlanta (formerly Hank Aaron MINI) is offering to throw in the windscreen with the purchase of a new cabrio. http://hankaaronmini.com/

I wish I coulda gotten that deal...
When I bought mine 2+ years ago, the owner's manual kinda inferred that a windscreen came with the car. When I asked where mine was, my MA said they would throw one in but I didn't know what in the hec it was or how expensive they were so I told him not to worry about it. Silly me

Old 04-06-2007, 11:28 AM
toomuchfun
3rd Gear
Now I'm REALLY glad I got one, especially with the return of Winter freezing temps. WTF?!?!

Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to add about Morristown Mini, it is the dealership where I purchased mine (and I got the windscreen right from the start and almost never comes out, as I rarely use the back seat; as we all know it is not the most comfortable car for passengers in back). I have also purchased many extras since then and they have beaten everyone on pricing on just about everything, as well as been pretty darn good on pricing when I needed installations. Also, I agree on the comments about their shop guys being super too. However, I believe the top guy's name there is Ervin, not Irving.