R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Radio turns on without key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:05 AM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio turns on without key in ignition

Hi!

My 2-year old niece was playing around in my '06 convertible, and managed to turn the radio on even though the key was in my pocket! Any other car I've ever had, you can't turn on the radio unless the key is in the ignition. Is this a "feature" or another electronic gremlin particular to my car? Anyone else think this is a problem in a convertible (where someone could just reach in and turn on your stereo or take the CD)?

C

Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a feature!!! I believe it turn off automatically after 15 minutes.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
sdv515
4th Gear
there are a couple other cars that can do this too. its pretty cool. in my friends neon you can turn on the car then just take the key out.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
faster,Tobias!
1st Gear
So you can leave someone in the car, listening to the radio, and they can't be tempted into taking your baby for a sneaky spin around the block -
'Hoo, I couldn't resist!'

Old 10-11-2006, 11:25 AM
AggieMini
4th Gear
Cooool!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:15 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I think it's until you open the door. You can operate your windows and roof also.

It works this way in my "family" car also (a Buick).

Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
Radio on

Most cars will leave the radio on after you've removed the ignition key until you open a door (our Dodge Magnum and my 5 year old Chevy work van do this) BUT I'm not sure that's what the original post is referring to. Are we talking about turning the radio on AFTER you've exited the car with the key in your pocket?

Old 10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Phurbahl
2nd Gear
I was told by my MA that the radio would be useable without the key in the ignition but that the ignition would be disabled so any would be thieves could at least listen to some good tunes while they were trying to steal the car...

Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by beken
I think it's until you open the door. You can operate your windows and roof also.

It works this way in my "family" car also (a Buick).
Originally Posted by Wesmonster
Most cars will leave the radio on after you've removed the ignition key until you open a door (our Dodge Magnum and my 5 year old Chevy work van do this) BUT I'm not sure that's what the original post is referring to. Are we talking about turning the radio on AFTER you've exited the car with the key in your pocket?
Originally Posted by Phurbahl
I was told by my MA that the radio would be useable without the key in the ignition but that the ignition would be disabled so any would be thieves could at least listen to some good tunes while they were trying to steal the car...
The radio turns off as soon as you turn the key to the off position. You can remove the key and turn the radio back on by simply pressing the volume ****. It will stay on for about 20 minutes and then turn off unless you turn it off yourself. It doesn't matter if you open or close a door. I don't know what happens if you lock the car as I haven't tried that. I'm pretty sure that this is explained in the manual but I would have to check.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
No, No, No... It is weirder than that.....

I noticed this last weekend when installing some do-dads in the cockpit - I had the door open and had just turned off the ignition. After a few minutes with the door open suddenly the radio turned ON from absolutely no prompting or action to initiate it. I was so freaked that I put the key in, fired up the car and shut it down again. Later, under the same circumstances, it did the same thing.

I didn't have the time to sit around and document exactly what you had to do to replicate this outcome - but I know that it happens. Suddenly, sitting in the cabin with no key in the ignition, the radio will come on....

I have seen this "feature" in no other car.....

I hope to try to figure this out this weekend and will advise further !!

Bill

Old 10-12-2006, 06:26 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jersey_Bill
No, No, No... It is weirder than that.....

I noticed this last weekend when installing some do-dads in the cockpit - I had the door open and had just turned off the ignition. After a few minutes with the door open suddenly the radio turned ON from absolutely no prompting or action to initiate it. I was so freaked that I put the key in, fired up the car and shut it down again. Later, under the same circumstances, it did the same thing.

I didn't have the time to sit around and document exactly what you had to do to replicate this outcome - but I know that it happens. Suddenly, sitting in the cabin with no key in the ignition, the radio will come on....

I have seen this "feature" in no other car.....

I hope to try to figure this out this weekend and will advise further !!

Bill
Unless you accidentally bumped the power button while you were installing your do-dads, this is strange behavior indeed and is definitely not a "feature". If it happens repeatedly, you might want to take it in for a service. You could have a problem with the head unit. It seems like a nuisance but could drain your battery if it happens when you aren't around.

Phil

Old 10-12-2006, 06:39 AM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pjschaffer
The radio turns off as soon as you turn the key to the off position.
Mine doesn't, it stays on for quite a while after the car stops.

Mind you, mine also turns every 20 minutes when the car is running, so I thing the MA screwed up something when they installed the iPod adapter.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 AM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
Cool. I don't have the same problem as Jersey Bill... But even with the doors locked, key in my pocket, someone can reach in the open window and turn on the stereo... Nice to hear it turns off automatically after 15-20 minutes. At least my battery won't die.

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:07 AM
krolyat
6th Gear
I actually think that it's a great feature that is standard and I love the fact that it has an auto shut off.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:07 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kaszeta
Mine doesn't, it stays on for quite a while after the car stops.

Mind you, mine also turns every 20 minutes when the car is running, so I thing the MA screwed up something when they installed the iPod adapter.

Yep, you have a problem. I assume that you have to physically turn it on every time you start the car as well. There is another thread here Radio powering off every 20 minuteswhich I see you've already posted in that goes into detail on this issue.

For the radio to work when the ignition is removed, the radio is powered by a constant 12 V line. It is also supplied with a switched line (accessory) that allows it to know when the ignition switched on. The most likely culprit is that the fuse for this accessory line is blown. If that fuse is replaced, your radio should work as designed.

I know your next question is which fuse is it. This I don't know. You could test each one if you have a continuity tester or take it to your Mini dealer and have them do it.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
I assume that you have to physically turn it on every time you start the car as well.
Yes. (although we always turn it off since listening to the car make noise for 20 minutes kinda sucks.

For the radio to work when the ignition is removed, the radio is powered by a constant 12 V line. It is also supplied with a switched line (accessory) that allows it to know when the ignition switched on. The most likely culprit is that the fuse for this accessory line is blown. If that fuse is replaced, your radio should work as designed.
None of the fuses are blown, I verified that this week. And, twice, we've had the radio refuse to turn on at all until the car was turned off and back on. And the wiring on the radio appears to match the installation instruction I found online (although it appears there are two versions of the adapter)

In any case, it's going in to the dealer a week from saturday (and we'll also get them to fix some of the car settings that weren't set up the way we requested)

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:32 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Yes. (although we always turn it off since listening to the car make noise for 20 minutes kinda sucks.

None of the fuses are blown, I verified that this week. And, twice, we've had the radio refuse to turn on at all until the car was turned off and back on. And the wiring on the radio appears to match the installation instruction I found online (although it appears there are two versions of the adapter)

In any case, it's going in to the dealer a week from saturday (and we'll also get them to fix some of the car settings that weren't set up the way we requested)

Thanks for the help.

If there is no blown fuse thae I suppose it is either a broken wire (which could be checked with a voltmeter at the radio wiring harness) or a bad radio. Please post what your service department finds.

Phil

Old 10-16-2006, 08:10 AM
katesmini
3rd Gear
VWs will also let you turn the radio on when the car is off, I had an 89 Jetta that did it and my husband's 2001 1/2 Passat does as well.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:38 PM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
If there is no blown fuse thae I suppose it is either a broken wire (which could be checked with a voltmeter at the radio wiring harness) or a bad radio. Please post what your service department finds.

Phil
Bad wiring harness and a blown fuse (which is odd, since I know I checked that fuse). Oh well, it's working now, and we got all our vehicle settings all fixed as well.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad wiring harness and a blown fuse (which is odd, since I know I checked that fuse). Oh well, it's working now, and we got all our vehicle settings all fixed as well.
did they have to replace the cars wiring harness?

or just do some rewiring?

If they replaced the whole harness you'll know for sure because your MINI would have been in the shop for quite some time. As far as I know they can't repair a harness. They have to replace the whole thing which is like a thousand armed octopus running throughout the entire MINI.

I've seen MINIs with botched aftermarket radio installs where the whole harness had to be replaced. Something like a $6000 bill and over a week in the shop.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
The ipod adaptor install requires relocating a few pins in the radio.
They evidently didn't locate the 'accessory' wire correctly. Definitely not a whole wiring harness issue. The tech may have been referring to the ipod wiring, but he also could have just been covering his @$$. It doesn't make sense that there would be a fuse in a non-powered line.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:21 PM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
did they have to replace the cars wiring harness?

or just do some rewiring?
It looks like they recrimped the connectors, from what I can see. But yeah, for all I know they are covering their @ss.

Has worked fine since then, at least.