R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Top down motoring tips

Old 02-15-2006, 01:13 PM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top down motoring tips

Thought I'd try a thread where anyone with real world cabrio related driving tips could chime in.....especially to help out some of our newer topless members.

Here's mine:

Coming from a Miata (without a wind blocker) I learned early on to keep the passenger side window up in cooler weather while keeping the driver's side down. It practically eliminates the wind buffeting from behind. Works great on the MINI too. Much more comfortable on cold days if you don't already own the absurdly priced OEM wind deflector.

The following users liked this post:
Frosty1 (05-08-2020)
Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I took delivery of my convertible in Dec 04, the Mini specs said that a wind deflector came with the car. When I asked my MA where it was he said they quit giving away them with the cars. Guess I should have pressed the issue at that time for a freebie

Old 02-15-2006, 02:27 PM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
The little red light... When you put your top up, the light goes off when the top is latched. For the first couple of months, I was paranoid, and always closed the top fully, then re-opened the "sunroof", but now I've figured out what the little red light does, so I can close the top while keeping the sunroof open.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:53 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I have found that with the wind deflector in place, top down on a chilly day, that leaving the back windows down creates a different airflow. For some reason it redirects the heat & wind to improve the overall effect. With the back windows up, it creates a draft that is combined with cooler air. Just my findings, I don't know the physics behind why

Lois

Old 02-15-2006, 03:53 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Here's some of my "tips":

1. Since the top won't go up or down while the car is in motion, you can minimize the delay at a stoplight by lowering the windows before you stop. (Also retract the sunroof if you're trying to lower the top.) Sounds silly, but it has allowed me to avoid pulling over onto the side of the road or face the wrath of impatient drivers behind me at a stoplight.

2. I always try to keep a few folded paper towels in the boot. Bird droppings are usually easier to deal with if you get to them right away... especially if you or a co-driver happen to be the target!

3. I also keep a spray bottle (pump, not aerosol) of liquid sunblock in the boot. (I miss all that friendly ozone we used have up in the sky when I was a kid...) I use the spray liquid, because it's less grotty than lotions, and by spraying it on, you can avoid getting it all over your fingers and palms - thereby keeping the leather steering wheel nice. (To avoid spraying into my face, I use some of my folded paper towel as an intermediate step: spray onto the towel - wipe onto my face.)

4. Choose your choons carefully when open-motoring in populated areas - Even with the stereo controls at your fingertips with a multi-function wheel, it can still be embarassing to stop near a bus stop with ABBA blaring...

5. Don't succumb to peer pressure about keeping the top down - it's called a "convertible" for a reason: flexibility and choices. Sometimes it IS better with the top up, especially if you care about the comfort of your co-driver.

6. Stock up on those short (12 oz or smaller) bottles of spring water: They fit better in the standard cupholders below the A/C and stereo controls. All that open motoring can dehydrate you quicker than you might realize!

7. Keep a ball cap in the storage compartment in each door: Open Motoring is such fun, you won't want to come home, and having a cap for each occupant to minimize solar glare is just common sense. You might want to keep a couple of pairs of cheap sunglasses on hand as well.

8. ENJOY!

_Dave_

The following 3 users liked this post by am0eba:
CaliforniaVegan (02-04-2018), MINI POPS (12-15-2020), Sam Peck (07-09-2020)
Old 02-15-2006, 03:55 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Great tips, Dave

Lois

Old 02-15-2006, 04:45 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
An electric travel blanket is great for rear passengers. I got mine at MossMini.com but there are also very inexpensive ones on eBay. Rear passengers do not have heated seats and are much more exposed to wind than in the front seats. The comfort of your rear passengers can make the difference whether you can put the top down.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
An electric travel blanket is great for rear passengers. I got mine at MossMini.com but there are also very inexpensive ones on eBay. Rear passengers do not have heated seats and are much more exposed to wind than in the front seats. The comfort of your rear passengers can make the difference whether you can put the top down.
I'm sorry but I just can't see riding in a convertible with the top down & wearing an electric blanket but I guess it would give onlookers something to at as you drive by

Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Robsreef
2nd Gear
If you want to keep wind noise down while motoring with the top in the sunroof position, roll the two rear windows down and drive with the front windows up. This greatly cut down on wind noise.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:10 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by bamatt
I'm sorry but I just can't see riding in a convertible with the top down & wearing an electric blanket but I guess it would give onlookers something to at as you drive by
It's unfortunate but having rear passengers effectively decreases the temperature range of driving with the top down. If I were riding in the back in even relatively mild weather (say temps in the 50's), I'd want to use the blanket.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeppers - the wind deflector was the BEST mod I ever got for my Cabrio - love it, love it, love it...

Donna

Old 02-15-2006, 07:49 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Originally Posted by am0eba
Here's some of my "tips":

4. Choose your choons carefully when open-motoring in populated areas - Even with the stereo controls at your fingertips with a multi-function wheel, it can still be embarassing to stop near a bus stop with ABBA blaring...

Great tip !!! I'll have to remember that one. especially if I have my Bee Gees CD going

Old 02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
TIP !! Don't drive with the Top down and the windows up it looks stupid.. Either you go topless all the way .. or stay covered !!

MD STREGA2

Old 02-16-2006, 05:36 AM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lastrega
TIP !! Don't drive with the Top down and the windows up it looks stupid.. Either you go topless all the way .. or stay covered !!

MD STREGA2
Or use the sunroof feature.....if you can handle the roar above 50 MPH

Old 02-16-2006, 07:20 AM
GyroJunkie
2nd Gear

MD STREGA2
I guess that's a great tip if you care what others think. I personally drive my cabrio for my pleasure, not for the approval of others. If I can get more top-down days by going with the windows up, that's what I'll do. Top down with windows up is still way more enjoyable than top up motoring.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:43 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Ha!

MD STREGA2
I've been to many club functions and drives with you, and I've never seen you totally topless.

And yes, I do the windows up. Sorry!

Mark's personal guide to open motoring...

55's and above, everything down, no deflector
Down around 45 to 55, top down, windows down, deflector up
Around 40-45 or so top down, windows up, and deflector up
40 ish and below sunroof only.

Add or subtract from these temps for sunny vs. cloudy/night.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:56 AM
meg
5th Gear
Do not leave important papers loose anywhere in the car when you have the top down! (I have done it and I am sure it was quite the sight seeing me try to catch them as they flew away).

Old 02-16-2006, 08:29 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
Yes, I do drive top up (old age, I guess) but if the top is down so are the windows ... ask around you Convertible Cop Patrol !!!!
Ask our Secretary who suggested windows up at the Dragon Last year from Tapoco to Fontana

CABRIO = Top Down, windows down and no electric blanket (unless grandma is riding with me..NOT)

I love my wind deflector .. bummer with my dog (GSD) and everytime I autoX I have to take it down !!

Passengers ... No Thank You !! Love to motor alone so husband got his own MINI Convertible !!

MD STREGA2

Old 02-16-2006, 08:46 AM
FeedBack
5th Gear
Que es "Top up"????

Old 02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
jdor1
2nd Gear
keep glass cleaner in the boot

I keep those glass cleaner wipes in the boot for those times when it rains. The rear window gets very dirty without a wiper. Not that it's very useful even when clean, but at least you can make out the car behind.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I'm going to sticky this thread to keep it on top for handy reference

Lois

Old 02-16-2006, 12:50 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
I'm going to sticky this thread to keep it on top for handy reference

Lois

Are you guys the couple that was at MOTD 2005 with BRG Cabrio with GOLD Bonnet Stripes and Leather Beige interior?

MD STREGA2

Old 02-16-2006, 01:46 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Are you guys the couple that was at MOTD 2005 with BRG Cabrio with GOLD Bonnet Stripes and Leather Beige interior?

MD STREGA2

Yes, that's me Just one of me though

Lois

Old 02-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Tap and Blow

Here in dusty Colorado, the back of the hood gets very gritty and dusty when driving top up. You can't always wash - and quite frankly paranoia regarding top wear from grit was keeping me from opening the top.
Then I found a method.
When I rerutn home I go out and thump the back panel with my hand to loosen the grit, then use an air hose with a blow gun to blow the grit away.
Works very well.

Peter
In Denver

Old 02-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
bench brush

I purchased a bench brush from my local Harbor Freight Tools for $2. Nothing special but I only use it to brush loose dirt off the top before lowering it.

Originally Posted by Khodabear
Here in dusty Colorado, the back of the hood gets very gritty and dusty when driving top up. You can't always wash - and quite frankly paranoia regarding top wear from grit was keeping me from opening the top.
Then I found a method.
When I rerutn home I go out and thump the back panel with my hand to loosen the grit, then use an air hose with a blow gun to blow the grit away.
Works very well.

Peter
In Denver

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R52 Top down motoring tips