R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Top down motoring tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 05:39 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bblatt
I know the feeling of pulling up to a red light in town and the wrong music just happens to come blazing out....
Hmmm. You mean like Soft Cell's 'Sex Dwarf'?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a tip, guys (thanks to the wife for this one)...

The next time you're at the grocery store, buy a cheap-o $3 hairbrush and keep it in the glove box or door pocket. married guys, you'll score extra points with the missus after a windy drive ("Here you go, hon- I bought this for you!") and single guys, you'll score QUADRUPLE points for thinking about her needs ahead of time.

Plus, "hat head" on sweaty days can be easily tamed with a few quick swipes.

As for music, the AUX input cable that I just put in allows me to pump tunes via playlist form my iRiver MP3 plyer- fits perfectly into the cup holder (but I'm pondering how to mount it elsewhere), so it's dead simple to make all your "Top Down Playlists" ahead of time and just cue 'em up!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:44 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
There's a thing at the auto parts store...

...that fits in a standard cup holder. It is a spongy foam and has a hole in the center meant for a cell phone. Holds them nice and snug. They sell for about $5-6. Works well for FRS radios for runs or MP3 players. Got mine at Pep Boys, saw them at Target too.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:56 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Nice tip. Although, due to the design of the iRiver, the cup holder all by itself is nearly perfect.. the rubber "fingers" grip the player very well- even during "spirited manuvers", it never budges. I'm thinking something like this, actually, mainly because I know the missus uses the cup holder:

I THINK that the suction cup can attach right to the dash panel under the vent... They say that a bit of curve does not affect the suction cup, so long as there are no channels or cracks to break the suction. Plus, holding it up in the air will allow me to plug in a power adapter, so I'll never run out of batteries again.

Sorry- not really Cabrio-specific, but still fun.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Here's a tip, guys (thanks to the wife for this one)...

The next time you're at the grocery store, buy a cheap-o $3 hairbrush and keep it in the glove box or door pocket. married guys, you'll score extra points with the missus after a windy drive ("Here you go, hon- I bought this for you!") and single guys, you'll score QUADRUPLE points for thinking about her needs ahead of time.

Plus, "hat head" on sweaty days can be easily tamed with a few quick swipes.
My wife has long hair, so I keep a ball cap and a couple of hair clips(different sizes) that she can use to keep her hair under control. Unfortunately, her hair is long enough that a brush just wouldn't help!

As for me, I don't have enough hair to need a brush either.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Hair clips! Another fantastic suggestion for that "special someone". Great idea, Mishka!

Old 06-22-2006, 02:02 PM
meg
5th Gear
I am a girl and the 'vert is mine, so I keep bobby pins, hair clips and a brush in the car at all times. Good call guys!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 PM
cubbyr
4th Gear
Hey, is this a record? It was 98 degrees here today and I rode with the top down. People looked at me like I was crazy. It WAS HOT. but If you have a vert use it.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
litabelle
3rd Gear
Sorry, 98 isn't a record. I was out on a run with my group last week: Coming down out of the mountains it got to 119 - Top Down. Sounds crazy, but now, the 90's are soooo bearable!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:14 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
My temperature range with the top down is 9 to 105 F. It is definately easier to deal with the cold than the hot.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:52 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
My temperature range with the top down is 9 to 105 F. It is definately easier to deal with the cold than the hot.
This is true, until they come out with the "iced down" seats option!

For me. only excuse for top up is pouring rain at slow speeds. Oh - and when I'm taking the kitty cats to/from the vet. Well, I suppose there are a few legit reasons, so I never would cast aspersions on seeing any of you top up on a gorgeous day.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 AM
litabelle
3rd Gear
What's in my baby during the summer

1. sun visor (+ extras in the boot) - sometimes hats get too sweaty and you can collect them from your favorite wineries,
2. sunscreen,
3. a whole pack of hairbands,
4. lip balm with spf,
5. spray bottle of water - sometimes fun to spray targets outside the car too,
6. long-sleeved, loose, ventilated spf shirt - it really can cool you off on a long run!
7. motocross goggles for my little kids in the back seat. They look so dorky, but they think they're so cool!
8. video ipod. You guys know you have FULL ipod functionality with this one, right?

Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
9. Hairbrush
10. ziplock with napkins (for taming ice cream cone drips) and wetnaps (for getting unsticky after sunscreening)

That and litabelle's list is pretty comprehensive for the fun side of top-down motoing! For a girl, anyway

Too much more stuff and life starts to get complicated!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:11 AM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
The most essential item, I find, is a towel. I'll admit I started carrying the towel on the advice of the Hitchikers Guide to the Universe. It is rare when taking any advice works out so well. When push comes to shove, one way or another, it can substitute for all of the items in the posts above but the ipod (unless you get the right towel and let it flutter in the wind just so). Nevertheless, in addition to the towel I have sunglasses and extra pair, ear muffs, lip balm, sunscreen, extra hat and a bandana.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:56 AM
hollylemaster
1st Gear
An expert convertible haircut

I think the most essential thing for Cabrio motoring is the right haircut!

I am a girl with lots of hair. And when it is cut properly it can be long (hair blowing in the wind is actually a GOOD thing) and still not get in the way of safely operating the motor vehicle without any kind of clips or bands or hats or whatever. Then, when you get out of the car, you can just shake it into place and have that slightly wind-blown shaggy look going on.

Also, you must wear matte lipstick and not lip gloss, because blowing hair sticks in lip gloss and is thoroughly annoying.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
still not get in the way of safely operating the motor vehicle without any kind of clips or bands or hats or whatever. Then, when you get out of the car, you can just shake it into place and have that slightly wind-blown shaggy look going on.

I agree motoring top down is a pain for the hair do.

I found a floppy hat that is working fine, it's not too tight around my head and don't push my hair down (much) The ball cap had to be tight otherwise will fly away and then I will have a red mark around my forehead and I will sweat too much making my hair look pretty bad.

Also, you must wear matte lipstick and not lip gloss, because blowing hair sticks in lip gloss and is thoroughly annoying
Right on, glossy lipsticks (more sexy, though) are a mess and if you are on a long trip you can catch a few bugs, too

MD STREGA2

Old 07-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Nemesis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by am0eba

4. Choose your choons carefully when open-motoring in populated areas - Even with the stereo controls at your fingertips with a multi-function wheel, it can still be embarassing to stop near a bus stop with ABBA blaring...
This is funny! I have had the same "wrong stuff" playing when at lights. Since I don't have an IPod or AUX jack I took the chepo route and burned some MP3 and play it on the stock radio!! Gota love technology!!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by am0eba
4. Choose your choons carefully when open-motoring in populated areas - Even with the stereo controls at your fingertips with a multi-function wheel, it can still be embarassing to stop near a bus stop with ABBA blaring...
And don't feel too smug even with the top up and windows closed. I think the sound leaks through as much as a hardtop with the windows rolled down.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:55 AM
snoggin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Nemesis
This is funny! I have had the same "wrong stuff" playing when at lights. Since I don't have an IPod or AUX jack I took the chepo route and burned some MP3 and play it on the stock radio!! Gota love technology!!
That is something I have been wondering.. So the HK stereo cd will play mp3's? great

Old 08-17-2006, 01:17 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
seat material

As a Mini Owner Wannabe, are there advantages to the cloth seats on the topless model? The thought of skin on hot leather or ette scares me. I read the generic debate of leather vs. ette on one of the other posts, but cloth was not mentioned....

Thanks,

Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I have black leather and even on a scorching day, they're not too bad. I've always preferred cloth, though and would have gone that way if I had custom ordered: it's MUCH cheaper than leather, doesn't need to be as pampered, and has some nice, sharp designs. Nothing says top-end though quite like butery-smooth leather when you settle in, though... It's luxurious.

Honestly, if you're that on the fence, I'd save the money, get cloth in a spiffy pattern and take the cash you WOULD have spent and invest it in MODs.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
This is the third cabrio we've had, and the first was the only one with cloth seats. I don't mind the leatherette(this car) or leather(previous car), but prefer the cloth on hot days. Gromit wasn't a custom order and came with the leatherette, so that's why he has it.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:57 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
My concern with the cloth seats (which we got) was with staining or mildew if they happened to get wet. So we bought the Wet Okole seat covers to protect the cloth while adding a little flash to the interior. Cost like $500 but I think well worth it since they never get hot, are totally water-proof and get nice comments from lookers.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
When we had the cloth seats, the top was down a couple of times when rain storms popped up and soaked the interior. We quickly got fans to dry the interior and never had problems with mildew, and were quick to clean up spills so we never had any stains either.

I have heard of more problems with mildew in cars that got wet from the carpet/pad than from the seats.

Since you got the Wet Okole covers for your cabrio, do they make them to not interfere with the airbag built into the seat? I have been wondering about that. I like the look, but don't want to interfere with the airbags.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Mishka - They have been designed custom for the Mini so they have the cutout on the side for the airbag. Fit is great and installation was very easy. The backseat required you lift out the seat cushion to install but it was easy. I was very impressed with the fit and quality. As for color - I took the color scheme directly from mmatarella (go to post #50 above for a link to his gallery).

Cheers,
Chuck

Quick Reply: R52 Top down motoring tips