R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Top down motoring tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:06 AM
litabelle
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rc'S
Good advice on hot weather driving with the top down and the need for water. Never entered my mind. Thanks all!
We bought Camelbacks for the summer. Even in 100+ heat, when you fill them with ice, the water stays cool and you have access to a LOT of nice cool water.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
After we purchased ours the next morning was 41 degrees strange looks but a knit cap from the local store kept the head warm and yes the windows were up.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:54 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
After we purchased ours the next morning was 41 degrees strange looks but a knit cap from the local store kept the head warm and yes the windows were up.
Earmuffs are my solution...they work GREAT!
One night, we were wondering why the GPS wasn't working when we got in the car, put the top down, and got going...
Realized it's because those screens don't work when it gets too cold - obc read 16!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Mr. Z
1st Gear
My roof wont' come down Mini S Conv 05

I just purchased a lovely mini 05 S convertable.
Today I tried to lower the roof but there is nothing. The light indicator does not light up. All my other windows go up and down but not the roof. I also checked the fusses (both interior left/and under hood) but all fusses seamed to be fine.

Any tips so that I can drive the mini over the holidays top down?

Thank you very much..

Mr. Z

Old 12-24-2007, 02:16 PM
gaminis
3rd Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=gaminis

Mr. Z...Try this thread...hope it helps!

gaminis

Old 04-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Banjo
2nd Gear
Hairbrush tip

As a single guy I will tell you that is a major no no. Women do not think like men and this will backfire on you in a HUGE way. If you whip out that brush..she isnt gonna say "aww you are so sweet for thinking of me and my comfort". She is gonna say "Who's is this? Did you give this to some other girl when you were driving with her?" " You are so sleezy...is this your "move' you do with all girls? Trust me it won't be pretty. This advice is the same as keeping anything for a woman in your apt that she didnt bring herself.

Originally Posted by ImagoX
Here's a tip, guys (thanks to the wife for this one)...

The next time you're at the grocery store, buy a cheap-o $3 hairbrush and keep it in the glove box or door pocket. married guys, you'll score extra points with the missus after a windy drive ("Here you go, hon- I bought this for you!") and single guys, you'll score QUADRUPLE points for thinking about her needs ahead of time.

Plus, "hat head" on sweaty days can be easily tamed with a few quick swipes.

As for music, the AUX input cable that I just put in allows me to pump tunes via playlist form my iRiver MP3 plyer- fits perfectly into the cup holder (but I'm pondering how to mount it elsewhere), so it's dead simple to make all your "Top Down Playlists" ahead of time and just cue 'em up!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
JWalls
1st Gear
I have never owned a car with a hard top. Why don't you just turn up the heater? It will be a bit chilly for the back seat passengers, but they can drink.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JWalls
I have never owned a car with a hard top. Why don't you just turn up the heater? It will be a bit chilly for the back seat passengers, but they can drink.
I agree! I keep a small blanket for the occasional back seaters...I actually bought a 12v electric blanket, but never bother carrying it, since I rarely have 4 in the car.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
waltermb
2nd Gear
Newby owner--wind deflector?

can you tell me what deflector is the most effective and where to obtain one--i assume it is attached to the seats--sorry new to mini so no clue--thanks robert

Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Hi Walter...
THere are two types that I know of...the OEM, which is crazily overpriced, but works great, then there is an aftermarket one that many people seem to like.
Best place for the OEM one is Classic MINI in Ohio - they have great service and discount deeper than any MINI Dealer I know. And very helpful over the phone. Ask for Jason in parts, and tell him you are a NAM member.
I like it lots, but it has the one drawback that when you use it, your ragtop is a 2-seater!

The other type stretches btwn the front seats. If you search the Cabrio Talk forum, you should find it...

Good luck!

(The deflector lets me drive topless in below 0 weather all winter - that, heated seats, and earnuffs! )

Last edited by zzMini; 05-21-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Tall Mini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK so I have a classic convertible so most of my list of tips would be a bit different but there are a couple that should apply to the new MINI's as well.

1. Hat clips... sort of like a sun glasses strip but with little clips that attach the hat to your collar (I know sounds dorky but they are a must for the kids in the back seat and I will wear one if it is very gusty out just in case.) You can get them at boating supply shops (like West Marine.)

2. When driving the Dragon at a "spirited" pace with your two sons... it is best to do with the top down for added airflow to fend off car sickness (this can be applied to your favorite stretch of road with anybody in the back seat.) I'm not sure how well it works in a new one but a hotel ice bucket fits perfectly between two children's booster seats in back (just in case there is not enough air flow.)

Old 05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
waltermb
2nd Gear
thanks

couple followup--on that oem-i saw one on ebay for like $300-is that what they cost--and exactly what do they do--block off the backdraft-so less wind? my first convert mini so lots to learn!!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 PM
J3kidford
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tall Mini
1. Hat clips... sort of like a sun glasses strip but with little clips that attach the hat to your collar (I know sounds dorky but they are a must for the kids in the back seat and I will wear one if it is very gusty out just in case.) You can get them at boating supply shops (like West Marine.)
Oh wow! I've been thinking about something like that. I didn't know they even existed. I was going to try using the things that hold sheets on the bed! LOL Now that would have been dorky!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
In 2006, they cost around $425 - $475, I think. Call Classic MINI in Ohio - they can give you all the poop as to cost! Don't know about the other type - you'll have to search around this site for the thread - I think they made it a "sticky" thread here in the Cabrio forum.
As far as what they do, they deflect the wind that whips around from the back. It really does make a difference, and there is another whole thread that talks all about the pros and cons.
I think the OEM deflector is criminally overpriced - I was lucky that my dear sweet MA was selling his vert when I bought mine, so he sold me his way cheap. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:54 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure how well it works in a new one but a hotel ice bucket fits perfectly between two children's booster seats in back (just in case there is not enough air flow.)
Classic!

You guys were one of our highlights of MOTD.... loved your car, the boys in back, your demonstration that big guys can fit in tiny cars... loved all of it.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:57 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
REI has them also.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
couple followup--on that oem-i saw one on ebay for like $300-is that what they cost--and exactly what do they do--block off the backdraft-so less wind? my first convert mini so lots to learn!!
Retail price is something like $495, but Morristown MINI sells them brand new for $295 (plus something like $25 shipping) -- I don't understand why they're still selling on eBay for $345 and more (plus shipping)

Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Tall Mini
4th Gear
Thank's Paul... We had a great time and the boys got a real kick out of all the attention. Allready looking forward to next year.. . My wife and daughter would like to make the trek up next so I told my wife that we can get her comfortable with the classic so she can take her own runs at the Dragon. Her responce was that we all can't fit in my car so she will have to get her own MINI

Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Classic!

You guys were one of our highlights of MOTD.... loved your car, the boys in back, your demonstration that big guys can fit in tiny cars... loved all of it.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Her response was that we all can't fit in my car so she will have to get her own MINI
Spousal conversion FTW!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:10 PM
MrsBean
aka SPOT ON
Spousal conversion FTW!!!
My husband wants a MINI !!!! He was going to take delivery on one this Thursday but I told him that MrsBean (my MINI) would get jealous and he can't have one LOL !!!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:19 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
great juxtaposition of hat clips ($4.95) and wind deflectors $495. Both work well for their purpose.

I use my hat clip all year. I only use the wind deflector in the winter. When the temperature gets up to around 70 I pack the wind deflector away because it really isn't the wind that it deflects, but the cold. If you're the type that doesn't put the top down when it is cold, then why bother with te wind deflector. Still the hat clip, that is handy.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:22 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Wind deflector and windows up have a few more advantages:
1) helps you blast the AC on yourself when it's 95+ degrees out
2) makes it MUCH quieter in the car, good for (gasp) cell phone conference call listening.
3) helps you blast the heat on yourself when it's REALLY cold out (I top-down into the 20's...
4) makes driving much more comfortable on long interstate drives at speed, with big trucks whipping the wind around...

I still get the top-down experience... but with more comfort... maybe that makes me a wuss...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:19 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Wind deflector and windows up have a few more advantages:
1) helps you blast the AC on yourself when it's 95+ degrees out
2) makes it MUCH quieter in the car, good for (gasp) cell phone conference call listening.
3) helps you blast the heat on yourself when it's REALLY cold out (I top-down into the 20's...
4) makes driving much more comfortable on long interstate drives at speed, with big trucks whipping the wind around...

I still get the top-down experience... but with more comfort... maybe that makes me a wuss...
100% agree with every point! Slight difference on #3, though. I have no lower limit at which I put up the top. Once, teas so cold the Nuvi would not turn on! )

Oh - wait - I DON'T agree with the wuss part - I prefer to say I enjoy fine-tuning my top-down experience!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Various ladies with long hair have appreiciated the windscreen even in warm weather. Without it long hair is blown forward into the face and eyes...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
I am still promoting the FULL convertible experience

TOP DOWN - WINDOWS DOWN - LOOOOOUD MUSIC - VOICE MAIL for my phone calls (after all my message stated " sorry I missed your call.. I must be out motoring... ")

Quick Reply: R52 Top down motoring tips