R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Top down motoring tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
fayettedawg
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let the hat go

A few years back, my father in law had a jeep and had just Armoralled the seats and went out for a drive with a friend (doors off, no seat belt ). He was driving and a gust blew his hat off and when he turned to his left to grab it he shot right out the door!! True story. The guy with him had to climb over and grab the wheel and get it stopped. Luckily it was on a two lane country road with no traffic. He was pretty skinned up, but amazingly nothing broken. I think he learned his lesson about seat belts after that!!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Lorilou
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy a wind deflector?

Hi...I love my MINI and when the weather is cooperative, the top is always down! I have been looking into the wind deflector and was a little awed by the price! I saw a few on ebay...all between $300-400...are there any other places to purchase them? Anyone that has one, what are your thoughts? We love to travel and would like one when we are out on the open road. My brother has one for his Mercedes convertable and thinks it was well worth the price. Just wanted to get some input before investing in one. Thanks so much in advance

Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
DEFINITELY a great thing to have. Worth the price? It borders on criminal, the price they charge...
I was lucky to have gotten my first from my motoring advisor at a good price, cause he was trading in his ragtop when I was buying mine, and my second one, I found on Craigslist, in perfect shape, for $100.

Now - where do you live, and how long is your hair??
I have top down all through the (frigid) winter, so I really depend on the deflector.
And my hair is long enough to look like Rene Zelwegger in whatever that movie was if I don't deflect.

It also makes your passenger happier.

Someone else invented a cool "deflector" and was selling it here, I think...
It allows you to use the rear seats, which is a HUGE plus!

You should be able to search for it here.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 PM
tcscb1963
3rd Gear
I paid 295 for mine from MINI dealer on Ebay. It is one of the best mods I have done to the car, and, as you can see, I have done a lot. If you shop aggressively you can find them cheaper, but it is hit and miss. You see one go on sale used it goes quick. Good luck

Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 AM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Brownflyer makes a mesh windscreen that attaches to the back of the front seats and headrests. Comes with covers for the headrest with zippers on them. Leaves the back seat open and useable.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nd-screen.html

Last edited by miniblucabrio; 03-24-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:38 AM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I bought the MINI wind deflector when my 05 was just a few months old. Loved it. It did inhibit the amount of luggage I could carry. It did get a nick or two and then a broken piece, over the years.

First I started leaving it behind when I was on a trip with lots of stuff. The stuff behind the seat, piled a bit higher without the wind deflector, did a better job of deflecting the wind.

Second I found with just a couple of pieces of cargo, like an ice chest or a day pack, I could place it in a strategic position between the seats and get the wind deflection job mostly done. The rest of the job I accomplished by learning to think about my neck protection. A collar or scarf or hat with a flap . . . they all work.

Third, I don't bother putting the wind deflector on anymore.

I drive most of the time with the top down, my limits being about operation of the top in sub freezing weather and rain.

Fourth, less is more (guess I should have put this all in one step).

Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
dtilden
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deflector

Bought mine on E-bay for $250. It makes a difference, but every time I need to use the back seat it goes back into it's bag, and it might be a few weeks until it makes it's way back out again. Of course the days stay pretty warm in Miami, so being able to "Squeeze the breeze" is not as critical.

Overall, worth it I suppose. It's well made, should last a long time with proper care.

Dave

Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM
KathsMINI
1st Gear
Windscreen

Could not do without the windscreen...wish it did not cost so much, but it has been worth it. Another cannot do without is a Tilley hat.....these stay on in all of my top down driving...well worth the investment!
http://www.tilley.com/Shop/WorldBest...TilleyHat.aspx

Attached Thumbnails Top down motoring tips-t4mo_olive_olive_regular.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 AM
cravates
1st Gear
Good thread... some dandy tips, thanks Dave et al! Never thought about trying the rear windows down gambit. But it better make a diff cuz it looks goofy

We took a nearly 4 hour drive to parts of WVA from Annapolis in the winter (low 40s) and had the top down all day. HEAT on full , windows up , windscreen (ALWAYS)... and no elec blanket needed. I have to hand it the designers/engineers . Even at speed , the buffeting is minimal.

Agree KATHS, windscreen is indispensable. I find buffeting without it, unacceptable even at 15 mph .... anyone who thinks it can't make THAT much difference and hasn't invested in one, will be pleasantly surprised.

ALso totally agree on the dust. Always blow out the top to keep grit from grinding in.
Wish I had more to contribute but MINI made it 'no tricks necessary'.
Love the idea of dropping the windows and sunroof first, when about to need a 'quick drop' at a light. DUH!

Ahh yes as for music? You bet I often blast it. When I have dance music on in town I'm sure some people enjoy it and others probably hate it. But when I had Paul Potts blasting you wouldn't believe the number of approving signals I got. Who blasts opera!? People loved it!

Last edited by cravates; 08-04-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: needed to tighten it up
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
cravates - "Who blasts opera?"
I DO!
And anything other music that I love, which is extremely varied.
(Though I will scale it back a bit when stopped at a light...)

fayettedawg - ROTFLMAO!!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:43 AM
fayettedawg
1st Gear
Haven't stopped grinning!!

I just got my 2009 Mini Cooper S convertible last week and I haven't stopped grinning since I first drove it!! This car is such a blast to drive and I'm not sure I remember how to put the top back up. I drove home yesterday in a pouring rain storm and it's the first time I've had to put the top up since I've had it.

I look forward to the end of my work day when I can jump in this car and let the wind dissolve all the stress of the day. I seriously get home in a totally different frame of mind, just because of a 20 minute drive with the top down! I've never been disappointed to stop driving a car before, but it's a shame to have to put it in the garage every afternoon. The evenings are finally starting to get a little cooler in Atlanta so I can feel incredible convertible weather just around the corner!

I have a Golden Retriver/Shepherd mix who might love this car more than me. She has always loved to ride in my truck with me, but riding in the back seat of the Mini with wind coming from all directions....she's in heaven!

The following users liked this post:
Mineeee (05-09-2020)
Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Fayettedawg - you weren't driving fast enough...! Keep it over 40, and the rain sooshes right over your head! You'll love hte looks of surprise (or assumeed insanity) from everyone.

(btw - great summary of the MINI top-down experience...)

Old 09-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
My wife has the Brownflyer wind screen and it's great, I noticed that the wind no longer blows up into that ball of cold air between the driver and passenger. I did notice that the air wraps around the driver and passenger on the outside of the seats. Does the OEM wind screen have the same issue? With a second convertible looking at which way I want to go.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 AM
fayettedawg
1st Gear
OEM Windscreen

I have the OEM windscreen (in my 2009 R57) and it mostly decreases the wind flow between the driver and passenger seat. I have noticed decreased wind coming from the sides as well, but it doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
WyominGirl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Goatherder
Here is something to try the next time you are going out to a restaurant. Park the MINI in view of where you are eating. When the first curious onlooker is peering and drooling over your car, hit the key fob and lower the top. Then watch with fits of laughter when the onlooker doesn't know what to do and runs away!

Just make sure there is nothing to steal inside just in case....
You can do this from the key fob? Fill me in? Pretty please?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
fayettedawg
1st Gear
Closing top with remote

You just hold down the "Unlock" button on the remote. As you keep holding it, the top will go back to the sunroof position. Release the "Unlock" button and then press and hold it again. The top will lower and all four windows will roll down.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM
WyominGirl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fayettedawg
You just hold down the "Unlock" button on the remote. As you keep holding it, the top will go back to the sunroof position. Release the "Unlock" button and then press and hold it again. The top will lower and all four windows will roll down.
Thanks a bunch! Mine must not be programmed. Maybe next time I am in Colorado or Utah I will see what a dealer would charge... of course now that I know it exists I MUST HAVE IT!!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I CHA 3X
2nd Gear
is there a "topless" club?

Old 05-08-2020, 12:24 PM
Frosty1
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love ABBA!!

MINI POPS (12-15-2020)
Old 02-08-2021, 01:04 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Somewhere in the ancient past there was a thread dealing with 'how cold with the top down'. I've done a search for it but no results, maybe it's been deleted. Anyhoo, departing for the daily coffee with the old guys this morning (on the coffee shop's safe distance side porch) I went topless at a personal record setting 17°.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:24 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Somewhere in the ancient past there was a thread dealing with 'how cold with the top down'. I've done a search for it but no results, maybe it's been deleted. Anyhoo, departing for the daily coffee with the old guys this morning (on the coffee shop's safe distance side porch) I went topless at a personal record setting 17°.
°F or °C?

Old 02-11-2021, 11:16 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mineeee
°F or °C?
Fahrenheit

Old 02-11-2021, 11:25 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Fahrenheit
Thats colder than Ive managed then! Definitely going to want a hat with some ear coverage

Ive done a new years "polar bear drive" the last few years. First year was close to freezing in Upstate SC, but this year was like mid 50s so just a regular drive!

If I still lived in Canada I can tell you that I would not have run with that idea!

Old 02-11-2021, 02:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
there are a lot of plastic parts in the soft top system and we all know what happens when plastic gets COLD .... and as plastic ages this gets worse ....

from the owner's manual for my R-59 ......

I'd say damage could happen much sooner with aged parts . . .

of course, I live in Florida and a day below 50f requires seat heaters even with the top UP . . .

Mineeee (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:13 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
there are a lot of plastic parts in the soft top system and we all know what happens when plastic gets COLD .... and as plastic ages this gets worse ....

from the owner's manual for my R-59 ......

I'd say damage could happen much sooner with aged parts . . .

of course, I live in Florida and a day below 50f requires seat heaters even with the top UP . . .
Many thanks, cap! I seem to have overlooked that detail. Temperatures remain quite low and there was snow this morning so the top went up where it will remain 'till warmer climes.

Quick Reply: R52 Top down motoring tips