R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New aftermarket wind screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:25 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New aftermarket wind screen

----- All prices are current as of Jan 2009 -----------------------------
The windscreen has gone through some changes and testing and is available for sale. You can contact me: Via PM, email at brownflyer2000@hotmail.com, everardoval@netzero.net or phone 707-330-5823.

Price:
Standard all Black Double Zipper---------------------$200
Add color stitching ----------------------------------$15

Sidewalk Edition Double Zipper----------------------$230

Shipping-------------------------------------------$15

Here are some pictures:

Read on for all the details...
------------------------------------------

Hey folks, I just received the first prototype of an aftermarket wind screen.
This one goes between the seats (see pics) and allows the use of the rear seat.

Very easy to put on and take off and works extremely well. I tested it over the weekend and was loving it.

I took a close up pic of the mesh material but just a couple of days ago I came across the material that Mini uses on their wind screen and the next one will have that material.

This is something I've been working on as part of the rear seat wind screen or I should say "wind reduction project" of mine (you know, the kids love the top down but hate the wind).

The guy that's putting them together will be working on the next one this week so if there is any interest, pm me so I can let him know.

Last edited by brownflyer; 10-03-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Edited by poster request
Old 04-30-2007, 03:50 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Genius! If I didn't already have the factory one.... I do think a smaller mesh would help. Have you field tested it yet?

Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Looks great! Nice job

Old 04-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Kid/dog/mother-in-law containment net.. BRILLIANT!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm VERY interested in a review of the "new" one with the finer mesh, and particularly the effect, if any, it has for rear seat passengers... (or if this, plus a smaller version for the rear headrests, helps out the back seat. My back seat occupants are short - so if it just would create a less windy zone below the seatbacks, that would be a victory...

Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
Interested -- let us know more as you test the new variants

Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I'm interested but I would like to read a thorough review & get an idea of the cost

Old 04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Brilliant and creative! Do you need to unhook it during rear egress (seat folding forward), and does it reduce turbulence in the rear?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:50 PM
acej80
2nd Gear
Definitely interested in hearing how this affects air flow in the front and the back. I have the OEM wind screen, but don't use it as often as I'd like, cause I transport my two boys frequently. It would be nice to have something that reduces air in the front, without the need to remove it to use the back seat and reduce the air in the back. I'll anxious to hear more!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:18 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by krut
Kid/dog/mother-in-law containment net.. BRILLIANT!

I too am interested. Please provide more info. on next prototype - results, approximate cost, etc. etc.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:43 PM
rocketdays
3rd Gear
Nicely done! I am very interested in learning more about this. I was driving behind a TT today and admiring the compact windscreen that allows access to the rear seat. I was thinking how nice that would be in the MINI. Any idea how far you are from production/sale???

Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
All great questions, so I'll try to answer some of them.

Price: I had a conversation with Carlos today (the guy that's putting them together and who has all the upholstery experience, I'm providing the engenering & design, sort of) says that something like this should go for around $200. I think it shouldn't go for more than $175. What do guys/gals think? What would you be willing to pay for it?

Field testing: Yes, I've been usign it for the last 2 days and it makes a big difference (very subjective, sorry). But I do believe that the new fabric will be even better. There are some differences I've noticed vs. OEM. The reason the mesh was exteded down to the lower part of the seats was because the air flows right between the seats and even a small opening allows for this flow. The OEM has the section that goes over the rear seat and this stop this air flow. Also, the opening left by the OEM from the edge of the upright section to the window is smaller that this one from the head rest to the window. So, there's more air flow in this section as well. How much more? To me it's not significant but I'm doing more testing. Also, with all windows down the air flow is less erratic with this wind screen vs. OEM. At times I felt my Mini cap almost come off with the OEM. Whereas, this one I haven't felt that sudden jolt of wind wanting to take my cap off. As for the rear seat, I have not tested air flow back there yet. I'll post a pic of my prototype 3 piece screen for the back.

Rear seat access: The second to the last pic in the original posting is one of both seats forward to allow for access/egress. A single seat will be limited to the amount it moves forward. The materials are non stretch. I will post a pic of that manuever as well. You could easily unhook and remove the head piece in a matter of seconds.

Lastly: Would someone here on NAM be willing to do field testing and provide us with a review in return for a nice discount on a wind screen? PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Old 04-30-2007, 07:36 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
PM sent.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Awesome, I have three "little pigs..." all want to play.

And what better areas than these:
Rocketdays from NY,
Mini_bee from Florida,
Tigwantstoplay from San Diego.

Couldn't have asked for more. I'll find out about the discount and let eveybody know price and delivery time frame.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:02 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Ok, some more pics:

This is how far forward the seat reclines with the windscreen on. Realistically, it doesn't provide you with access. You have to remove the headreast piece as the elastic stretches enough, or recline both seats. They don't have to be done at the same time. You do one and once you do the second the auto forward feature of the seat kicks in. The next one is with both seats fully reclined forward and windscreen on.

And this last one is of the prototype 3 piece rear system. This one has some flaws and that's not what's going to get produced. I'm designing something similar.

Last edited by brownflyer; 05-01-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by brownflyer
says that something like this should go for around $200. I think it shouldn't go for more than $175. What do guys/gals think? What would you be willing to pay for it?
Sell at $200 to the general public and offer an occasional NAM group buy.
Originally Posted by brownflyer
The reason the mesh was exteded down to the lower part of the seats was because the air flows right between the seats and even a small opening allows for this flow.
Your prototype was made to fit your armrest. Don't forget to check operation without an armrest. You may need to offer two versions or a way to accomodate both.

For myself, I am primarily interested in what can be done for rear passengers, so it is the combination of both front and rear screens that I'd be interested in. When passengers are in the back, the front already has a comfort advantage and I feel a certain obligation to suffer along a bit rather than giving the front an additional advantage of a wind deflector if it doesn't help the rear. When there are no rear passengers, I already have an OEM wind deflector.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rkw
Your prototype was made to fit your armrest. Don't forget to check operation without an armrest. You may need to offer two versions or a way to accomodate both.
That's a good point, rkw. It wouldn't be difficult to just extend the back piece a bit more to cover that space.

There is absolutely no way that I could ever eliminate any wind intrusion/turbulence. The question really becomes 'Does the benefit outweigh the cost' and at the suggested price point that would be a definite YES in my mind. But, lets wait for the findings of the independent panel of guinea pigs. Heck, I spend that kind of money on a single night out on the town (specially with two little ones...).

Old 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
I might be interested... Also interested in purchasing the factory one from someone "trading up" to this one...

Old 05-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also would be interested in testing/buying one of these. I love the fact that I can still have my kids in the back with this type of windscreen.

Is there any noise from the material or straps flapping against the seats at all?

From these pictures I can see that I would like the material to be more snugged around the headrests. Possibly even wrapping around the bottom of the headrest more so no edges show. (talking about the sides) Would give it a more clean look. Maybe use a bungey/elastic material so the headrest parts wrap and caress the headrest tightly o_O. I like good fitment on my parts

Last edited by Intense; 05-02-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Good fitment is high in my book as well. That's one of the items I will be addressing with Carlos this evening. I already have a list of changes for the next prototype.

As for flapping noice. None. Everything is snugly secured.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:08 PM
btallack
2nd Gear
This looks incredibly promising. The only thing I would suggest is making at least part of it into a stretchy material so that you can drop the front seats or slide them without having to take the windscreen off. If you can achieve this I will buy one without question.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:10 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Just a quick update. I had a conversation with Carlos yesterday and he will be working on the 3 new prototypes this weekend. They should be ready early next week. There will be some nice changes made to it.

I'll keep you posted.
P.s. if anybody wants to email me direct here is my email:
everardoval@netzero.net

Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Tester in San Diego reporting in. Ready, willing, and waiting.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:22 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Cincinnati tester here too!

Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would this material come in different colors to match peoples interiors?
I noticed in your pictures that the material is blue.
My interior is black and that is the color that I would want

Just a question

Thanks

Quick Reply: R52 New aftermarket wind screen