R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Top down motoring tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lastrega
I am still promoting the FULL convertible experience

TOP DOWN - WINDOWS DOWN - LOOOOOUD MUSIC - VOICE MAIL for my phone calls (after all my message stated " sorry I missed your call.. I must be out motoring... ")
Well, I do stereo off and loud exhaust but we're basically on the same page. It's all music!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:38 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
But I get the "partial" convertible experience during 4 hour conference calls, when my co-workers are cooped up in a conference room somewhere. Top that.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I like keeping the passenger window up, the rear windows up, and the drivers side window down for a sort of simulated wind screen. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:40 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
But I get the "partial" convertible experience during 4 hour conference calls, when my co-workers are cooped up in a conference room somewhere. Top that.

I never mix business with pleasure

Old 06-20-2008, 06:48 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
If I took that approach I'd rarely get any pleasure.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what she said.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Bwahahaha

Old 06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
car_girl
Neutral
ha, you're right though

Old 06-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Papa Bdog
2nd Gear
Move to Florida...

Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 AM
danzbassman
1st Gear
My first top down lesson

Okay, so I just got my first convertible, my first Mini, a purple 05. And I just learned my first important lesson. This probably seems obvious to most. Never store loose CDs on the backseat with the top down. Loose CDs make excellent flying saucers at 50+MPH with the top down.

The other night I was headed home. At a stoplight I grabbed a handful of CDs out of the glovebox, quickly selected one and popped it in as the light went green. No time to put the others back so I tossed them in the backseat. Got on the freeway and heard a rattling sound in the backseat. Glanced back and saw several of the CDs were learning to fly! I'm not sure if any actually got airborne enough to taste freedom but they sure were trying.

I really need to get my iPod going so I can put the CDs back in the closet where they belong.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yep..... even LARGE objects can go airborne in an open cabrio.... don't put cardboard boxes of stuff (like from Amazon) back there, either....

Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM
jdor1
2nd Gear
Well, that's kind of funny. I avoid cds by just going with the ipod on the aux. Don't forget to put secure the seatbelts back there, otherwise they flop around in the wind and bang up against the interior.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
High Speed 58
Neutral
New Cabrio..?

I got a British Racing Green 07 minicooper ...love my car....want a convertable...Is the Cabrio worth trading for..? Are there disavantages to a top down mini..?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 AM
danzbassman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by High Speed 58
I got a British Racing Green 07 minicooper ...love my car....want a convertable...Is the Cabrio worth trading for..? Are there disavantages to a top down mini..?
I've had my '05 convertible for just over 2 weeks now. The only disadvantage I see is that you can't do any cool graphics on the top like you can with a coupe or the clubman. That hard top is a nice blank canvas for some custom graphics.

The last two days its been raining here. The top on my Mini is tight. No leaks at all. At highway speeds there might be a bit more noise with the top up than you would have with a hard top. But its not bad.

But, having the ability to put the top down is a huge plus for me. There's nothing like getting out of work at the end of a stressful day, putting the top down and driving home with the wind blowing through your hair and the warmth of the setting sun on your skin.

Of course the perfect solution would be to have two Minis! Or maybe three, the Clubman is pretty cool too.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by High Speed 58
YES!!!!!!!!!! It IS worth it!!! For 21 years, the cars I wanted were not available as ragtops until 1 yr or 2 after when I was ready to buy...

Likewise with my '03 MINI...hardtop only But I sold it in '06 and got an '06 ragtop, and have never looked back. I got a GREAT price for my hardtop selling it on my own.

It is so much fun. Top goes up and down so easily. Even btwn short stops, I always put it down. (Never leave it down when parked - not so much for theft as for birds!!)
If you live somehwere cold, go for the winter package - heated seats make all the difference. It is NEVER too cold for me - if it is not raining, the top is down, night and day, regardless of temp. Scarves, gloves, earmuffs, and heated seats - woks great!!

Also, the deflector is really a must - absurdly priced, but truly makes a difference in turbulence and temperature in the car.

No disadvantages at all that I have found. I might not want to roll a convertible, but I really don't want to roll any car.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
blue lightning
3rd Gear
My 07 MCc is the first convertable that I ever had and if I know how much fun there were I would have gotten a convertable much sooner. If you are in the market for a new car I say go with the convertable. Like others said the rear deflector is a must to extend the top down motoring season.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I'm the MINI cabrio's biggest fan.

That said, there ARE disadvantages:
1) less cargo volume - not nearly as practical for hauling stuff. Though I CAN get enough stuff in the boot for a weekend away for my family of four.
2) more expensive - convertible cost is over $4000 more than a comparably equipped coupe. If you ever need to replace or repair the top out of warranty, it's $$$.
3) chassis is less stiff than the coupe - yields more squeaks and rattles, and less cornering grip without modifications.
4) more road and wind noise inside with the top up.
5) less back seat legroom - the rear seat is moved forward in the 1st gen cabrios by a couple of inches to make room for the folding top. I've heard this isn't an issue in 2nd gen cabrios.
6) car is heavier than the coupe by a couple hundred pounds. Makes the car a bit slower.
7) Biggest issue for me - many car club track programs will NOT allow convertibles without an aftermarket rollbar installed, and no such rollbars are commercially available for MINI cabrios. So it limits your track day options considerably. Not an issue for most owners, though.
8) MUCH worse side and rear visibility with the top up than in a coupe.

All that said.... I'm keeping mine FOREVER.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Blimey - excellent summation...I agree with all your points, and wish to elaborate on a few...

"1) less cargo volume - not nearly as practical for hauling stuff. Though I CAN get enough stuff in the boot for a weekend away for my family of four."
Other way to look at it - you have unlimted space - I have hauled lots of shrubs and even a small tree back frfom the nursery with top down. But yes, you may have problems if this will be your only car. STILL - I would rent a car/truck for when I need to haul serious stuff.

"4) more road and wind noise inside with the top up."
Easy solution - always have the top down! (BTW - I can use my cell phone at 70 with muy headset...)

"8) MUCH worse side and rear visibility with the top up than in a coupe."
SO TRUE!!!! Solution - again - always have the top down! And set your mirrors right.

Last edited by zzMini; 03-13-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:47 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear

1) less cargo volume - not nearly as practical for hauling stuff. Though I CAN get enough stuff in the boot for a weekend away for my family of four.
2) more expensive - convertible cost is over $4000 more than a comparably equipped coupe. If you ever need to replace or repair the top out of warranty, it's $$$.
3) chassis is less stiff than the coupe - yields more squeaks and rattles, and less cornering grip without modifications.
5) less back seat legroom - the rear seat is moved forward in the 1st gen cabrios by a couple of inches to make room for the folding top. I've heard this isn't an issue in 2nd gen cabrios.
6) car is heavier than the coupe by a couple hundred pounds. Makes the car a bit slower.
7) Biggest issue for me - many car club track programs will NOT allow convertibles without an aftermarket rollbar installed, and no such rollbars are commercially available for MINI cabrios. So it limits your track day options considerably. Not an issue for most owners, though.

What he said

Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 AM
tupelomsgirl
1st Gear
listening to ipod

Originally Posted by jdor1
Well, that's kind of funny. I avoid cds by just going with the ipod on the aux. Don't forget to put secure the seatbelts back there, otherwise they flop around in the wind and bang up against the interior.

Can you tell me how you listen through the aux?
My mini came with the Harmon Karman ipod adapter. I love it! Except sometimes it doesn't work...it either skips or doesn't play at all...possibly a short in a wire..I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:57 PM
raleel
1st Gear
My cabrio carried a BBQ earlier this summer. It's also carried a small lemon tree and a wheelbarrow. It's my farm vehicle

Since I have gotten mine I've put in 8 oz water bottles I get off of planes (I travel a lot) and they fit nice in all the cupholders. I just reuse them. I have a pair of airline blankets behind the seats for those who are cold. I keep mini tissues in just in case, and a spare do-rag for those who want to keep their hair from flying about.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:26 PM
janetmc
2nd Gear
I just recently started using the aux, so i can use the pandora app on my iphone. I went to the local electronic supply store and purchased a aux cable, it plugs into the aux headphone jack on the iphone, and then u control it through the device, not the stereo. So now i don't have to worry about making MINI mixes, i can just play whatever i want straight from the library.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 AM
msmarvel
Neutral
"Disadvantages" to convertible

I have had a convertible since 1995 - Camaro Z28 6-speed for 7 years, and a very unreliable Sebring for 7 years. Got my 06 MINI a week ago today!! I don't think I'll ever own a hardtop again.

I have medium length hair, too short for a ponytail, so I keep a scarf in the car and tie it around my head a la Jackie O. ha ha. Keeps the sun and wind from damaging your hair and really doesn't affect your 'do. Also sunglasses and.....hmm....that's all I really need for top down motoring.

My 2 cents below.

As zzMini said, you can carry very tall things - I've carried bbqs, butterfly bushesm hydrangeas and other things that don't fit in many trunks. Seats down, plenty of room for beach chairs, cooler, umbrellas etc.

True, but driving on perfect 80 degree days, or mild star lit nights with crickets singing on country roads is priceless.

This car has much less twist and squeaks than my last 2 convertibles. Feels like a regular car to me.

Again, much better than my Sebring - MINI has a really solid roof for a ragtop. Turn up the tunes, or put the top down. heh heh

Can't argue this one, but since it's just me and my dog, I don't need to drive anyone else anywhere. Besides, I bought the car for me, not some future passengers I may chauffer some day.
Haven't noticed that, but did find that my other convertibles handled the snow pretty well because of the extra weight over the rear wheels. Even the rear-wheel drive Camaro was "good" in the snow.

Hmm, don't belong to one, so I'll take your word for it. Drag if you are banned from clubs.
Used to this after 14 previous years. But, my car came with little mirrors that you stick on the side mirrors, and they work really well.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
RckyMtnTwisties
2nd Gear
My lovely wife finds endless joy in her first convertable, topless. This Mini has truely captured her heart. The drawbacks may be many, but they are easy to overlook. If she needs the cargo space, she takes her swedish station wagon out and shakes a few layers of dust off of it.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 AM
jerseymike68
Neutral
Thank You!

Quick Reply: R52 Top down motoring tips