R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Top down motoring tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:48 AM
MJO MINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another idea for cleaning the rag top of loose dirt is to use a lint brush! I use it and it works great. But I have only tried the acutal material type brush that allows you to rotate the brush head. Haven't actually tried the "sticky" type lint brushes. The material type allows you to brush in one direction to pick up the lint or dirt and then you can brush in the opposite direction (on another surface, like a towel) to release the trapped dirt and lint.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by banjoez
Or use the sunroof feature.....if you can handle the roar above 50 MPH
We have found that if you lower the back windows a little, the roar is GREATLY decreased.

We have the philosophy that above 40 degrees, we declare it spring and the top may be down. That is why the heater, heated seats, and warm clothes were created.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:35 PM
GeminiSun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella
I've been to many club functions and drives with you, and I've never seen you totally topless.

And yes, I do the windows up. Sorry!

Mark's personal guide to open motoring...

55's and above, everything down, no deflector
Down around 45 to 55, top down, windows down, deflector up
Around 40-45 or so top down, windows up, and deflector up
40 ish and below sunroof only.

Add or subtract from these temps for sunny vs. cloudy/night.
Here in St Louis - we have been lucky this winter and it is Mr Sun's first winter.

I like Mark's guide to open motoring but will modify it somewhat:
30 and below sunroof...
between 30 and 45 - top down, windows up and that very expensive but necessary deflector up.
Between 45-55 or so, top down, windows down, deflector up - it sure does change the air flow between the seats.
55-up topless all the way and for my co-driver - still need the deflector.

I agree - sunny versus cloudy conditions do change how one motors.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 AM
tahoe
2nd Gear
This is an obvious one.... but I'll post it anyway.

How To Lower Your Top on the Freeway

If, for whatever reason, you find yourself on the freeway with the top up and want to lower it.

> Look for an exit ramp that has a corresponding on ramp.

> While you exit and the car is still moving, lower all windows.

> When you get to the stop sign/light at the bottom of the exit. Lower the top. Top down, proceed immediately back on to the on ramp and back onto the freeway.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MJO MINI
Another idea for cleaning the rag top of loose dirt is to use a lint brush! I use it and it works great. But I have only tried the acutal material type brush that allows you to rotate the brush head. Haven't actually tried the "sticky" type lint brushes. The material type allows you to brush in one direction to pick up the lint or dirt and then you can brush in the opposite direction (on another surface, like a towel) to release the trapped dirt and lint.
The "sticky type" lint brush works great, too! I use a 3M and it even picks up loose dirt; especially around the rear window where alot of dirt seems to accumulate.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Goatherder
3rd Gear
Here is something to try the next time you are going out to a restaurant. Park the MINI in view of where you are eating. When the first curious onlooker is peering and drooling over your car, hit the key fob and lower the top. Then watch with fits of laughter when the onlooker doesn't know what to do and runs away!

Just make sure there is nothing to steal inside just in case....

Old 03-14-2006, 08:28 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I tried this

at the mall,

People were

I just put the key in my pocket while pushing the button like i was talking to my car like Knight Rider..

-alpinamike

Old 04-12-2006, 10:43 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lastrega
TIP !! Don't drive with the Top down and the windows up it looks stupid.. Either you go topless all the way .. or stay covered !!

MD STREGA2
I must chime in here too...if windows up (and deflector in) means I can carry on a conference call while soaking up the rays, then I'm there! (Of course, I'm using my handsfree and staying at a sensible speed!) ;-)
Alternatives...top up? Why, is it hailing?
Pull over? OK - that's an acceptable alternative, but Mini's are so much more fun when moving!

As a cave dweller for the past 20 yrs (hard tops, that is), I will be topless in every and any configuration that feels good once the ragtop arrives.
The huge moonroof has been a great substitute for the past 3 years, but I'm ready for the real thing.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
Yeah,

but when I am motoring on the motorway or on a wisty road ... I am motoring ... my calls can wait

Rarely, I will answer the phone and say.. "call you back !!"

MD STREGA2

22 GS

Old 04-13-2006, 01:32 AM
FUNMNI
Neutral
If there are no passengers in the back, I buckle the seat belts to minimize the noise of the clips moving.
(Since it's usually just me, I keep them buckled at all times - so I can just jump right in and go!)

Old 04-19-2006, 03:34 PM
cubbyr
4th Gear
ok stupid question. is a wind deflector the same as a windscreen that you put across the back seats? which is better if they are not the same? where do I get one?

Old 04-19-2006, 03:51 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cubbyr
ok stupid question. is a wind deflector the same as a windscreen that you put across the back seats? which is better if they are not the same? where do I get one?
YES it is the same! Not a stupid question, as "wind deflector" also can refer to something that deflects wind for an open sunroof on the coupe.
Go to the Mini dealer in Ohio - he sells brand new ones for 20% discount for NAM members. I spoke to him - he thinks they are absurdly overpriced, and is making it a little bit easier for us to buy one.
He guestimated about $10 to ship it, though that was not a firm estimate.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:46 AM
rameeti
2nd Gear
All kinds of benefits to being in public...

Originally Posted by am0eba
you can minimize the delay at a stoplight by ...
it has allowed me to avoid ...the face the wrath of impatient drivers behind me at a stoplight.
I turn that thought into even more of a positive. It allows you to impress everyone around at how cool the MINI is with its ability to so quickly put up or down its top.

4. Choose your choons carefully when open-motoring in populated areas - ... it can still be embarassing to stop near a bus stop with ABBA blaring...
And then again, you may just happen to get a

Old 04-22-2006, 07:12 AM
rameeti
2nd Gear
Stand up to the fire of life

Originally Posted by bamatt
I'm sorry but I just can't see riding in a convertible with the top down & wearing an electric blanket
You are missing out on life then. I betting you also haven't found the pleasure of having the top down on really chilly nights while also having the heater on high, blowing at full speed to just 'even it out'.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:59 AM
jimdaniels
1st Gear
if you are going to pretend to drive a two-seater sports car it should at least be a ragtop rather than a tintop, just a basic philosophical observation. the denver local mini dealer sells the wind deflector for $450, at least that is how much he robbed me for, you can get them much cheaper on eBay. really shouldn't go without one at any speed. on the very,very rare occasion i have a rear passenger, the electric blanket sounds like a sensible courtesy.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Free Spirit
Coordinator :: Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
This is my first time having a convertible. The first few days I had it the sun was shining and I was cruisin'! The first day when the sun started hitting my face I thought "There's no way I can block the sun we're going to need some sunnies." The next day, not having any yet, I got behind a dump truck and realized sunnies are not just for sun protection, but for eye protection from debris!

3. I also keep a spray bottle (pump, not aerosol) of liquid sunblock in the boot. (I miss all that friendly ozone we used have up in the sky when I was a kid...) I use the spray liquid, because it's less grotty than lotions, and by spraying it on, you can avoid getting it all over your fingers and palms - thereby keeping the leather steering wheel nice. (To avoid spraying into my face, I use some of my folded paper towel as an intermediate step: spray onto the towel - wipe onto my face.)

_Dave_
Being my first convertible it didn't take long to realize I was going to need some sunscreen! I thought about the sprays, but decided against it because I thought of spraying my seats, steering wheel, and anything else in line of the spray bottle while I was spraying myself. Plus I have a 14 year old and I can really see her accidently spraying something else. Do the spray bottles work that much better. I had not thought of having it on my hands and getting it on my steering wheel. The paper towels are a great idea!

Old 04-30-2006, 05:47 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Top down quickie

Thanks am0eba and tahoe - I can see myself using these techniques often, to recover from any brief moments of insanity when I find myself with the top up.

And I can see a survival kit of a spray spf and some papertowels in a ziplock, with perhaps a few of those foil-wrapped cleansers in case you did overspray.

I think I'll need to stop by the dealer Monday (partly sunny and 63), for an extended test drive. That's how I'm getting my fix till mine arrives!

Can't wait for June...!

Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Free Spirit
This is my first time having a convertible. The first few days I had it the sun was shining and I was cruisin'! The first day when the sun started hitting my face I thought "There's no way I can block the sun we're going to need some sunnies." The next day, not having any yet, I got behind a dump truck and realized sunnies are not just for sun protection, but for eye protection from debris!

Being my first convertible it didn't take long to realize I was going to need some sunscreen! I thought about the sprays, but decided against it because I thought of spraying my seats, steering wheel, and anything else in line of the spray bottle while I was spraying myself. Plus I have a 14 year old and I can really see her accidently spraying something else. Do the spray bottles work that much better. I had not thought of having it on my hands and getting it on my steering wheel. The paper towels are a great idea!
In addition to sunglasses, I've also found it necessary to have a visor or baseball cap handy because the sun will hit the eyes at angles where it might be otherwise blocked by a roof. I use a MINI logo cap from motoringgear.com (probably also available at your dealer). For sunscreen, there are varieties available in stick form (like a stick deodorant or a glue stick) that can be applied easily and cleanly with one hand.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:21 AM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Watch out for the stick type sunblock! It can MELT if left in the sun, or in a hot glovebox! (Don't ask how I know...)

And when I need to apply the spray sunblock, I get out of and away from the MINI!

_Dave_

Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
So many opinions. I find that below 20 degrees F a down lap blanket is very handy. The wind deflector is the only way to keep the back of my right arm from feeling cold, even with layers, below 30 degrees. In those conditions, I wear a hat . . . with the top of my head cold none of the other mitigations have much effect. Above 30 degrees all that is needed is a towel and stickers on the hubcaps saying, in large friendly letters, DON'T PANIC.

In subfreezing weather it isn't pleasant driving with the windows down above 50 mph. I'm sorry, but I get the whole year in comfort (hat, windows up, down lap blanket, jacket, leather gloves, wind deflector and heated seats) with the top down. No one else had their top down in my sights for months (including other MINIs).

Of course, I received my MINI in September. So, at 80 degrees F Sunday, well, that was as hot as its gotten. T-shirt, shorts, wind deflector and windows down, radio blasting, sun glasses, and the sweet blue sky. Oh, and DON'T PANIC written in large freindly letters on the hubcaps of the none runflat wheel/tires (no spare). Oh, and the towel for my son to use on the way to school, 59 degrees F, t-shirt, shorts, no judgement.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Great Motoring Day

I had to spend a Saturday running out to help a client with a project but got to motor a couple hundred miles in the process, and with the weather being rather turbulent and variable, here are some observations and experiences -
  • When I left the sun was shining but I drove through two thuderstorms (complete with lightning) before arriving at destination. I had never tested the advice on motoring top down through the rain before but it worked like a charm - as long as you can keep the freeway speeds up, I had no more than a few drops hit the interior, other than for a bit of drip from the edge of the windscreen. It is an amazing experience to have your wipers on high speed with all the dark and gloomy clouds above but to be safe and dry.
  • I got back late at night and had the chance to motor under the stars at high speed all the way back. The temps had dropped from 70s to high 50s but I was more than comfortable with the heated seats and a little heater activity. The wind at highway speeds (averaging 75 to 80 mph) makes for a different calculus of top-down motoring below 60 degrees, since the wind can draw off a lot more heat than at lower speeds, but the experience was great. I am not sure I would enjoy topless motoring at high speed in 30 or 40 degree temperature but may try it to confirm.
Bill

Old 05-26-2006, 07:58 AM
DeeSquare
1st Gear
Another obvious tip

Never user the windshield washers when the top is down.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:30 AM
bblatt
Neutral
Top Down Tunes

I love all these tips.....

Here is one that I learned early on when I bought mine last year.... I know the feeling of pulling up to a red light in town and the wrong music just happens to come blazing out....so I made up 2 CD's of "TOP DOWN TUNES". One is full of great rockin' guitars and drums, and the other has a good old collection of "Sing Along Tunes" thats good MOTORING music.

Yea....it turns heads.....but they are also smiling along with me as I motor on down the road!!

Happy Spring Everyone!
Barbara

Old 05-28-2006, 04:54 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
really dumb question: when the cabrios first came out, I sat in one at the dealer while my MINI (hardtop) was being serviced, and the salesguy told me that this is the only convertible that you can open or close the top while moving ( I think he said up to 20mph).....what was he thinking?...I read on this thread that the mechanism is inactivated if the car is moving( forward ).....is there any scenerio where you can use the mechanism while moving?

Old 05-28-2006, 05:37 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can move the top from closed to the full open sun roof position, or anywhere in between while driving. I believe they say at up to 75 mph. The first press with a closed top will start it opening and stops at the full open 'sun roof' position. Or you can release with the 'sunroof' part way open. You release and press again once the sunroof is fully open (if not moving) to have it release the front latchs and complete the process. The second phase from sunroof to top down won't work while driving forward at more than a dead slow crawl.

Quick Reply: R52 Top down motoring tips