R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Wind deflector behind rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:02 PM
jsthomas00
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind deflector behind rear seats

Has anyone seen, heard or tried putting a wind screen behind the back seats between the roll bars to deflect some wind that the rear seats get?

I'm not sure how well it would work if at all. Thoughts?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:45 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Problem is they dont stick up much at all....youd have to go higher than the roll bar no?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
R52 maybe but no way to really anchor it, R57 roll bars are much lower. Best solution is a standard deflector. Look on ebay, that's where I found mine at lower that factory. You'll be glad you did it correctly in the long run.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:14 PM
jsthomas00
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
R52 maybe but no way to really anchor it, R57 roll bars are much lower. Best solution is a standard deflector. Look on ebay, that's where I found mine at lower that factory. You'll be glad you did it correctly in the long run.
True but the issue isn't wind for me. I don't mind that. It's my kids in the backseat. My poor daughter's hair looks like a rats nest after a drive.

I have an R52 and some ideas about securing something there but didn't know if it would make any difference. My guess is it would block some of the air but not enough or it would catch air and deflect straight down into the backseat which wouldn't help anything.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:24 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by jsthomas00
True but the issue isn't wind for me. I don't mind that. It's my kids in the backseat. My poor daughter's hair looks like a rats nest after a drive.

I have an R52 and some ideas about securing something there but didn't know if it would make any difference. My guess is it would block some of the air but not enough or it would catch air and deflect straight down into the backseat which wouldn't help anything.
I'm still laughing, the first thing that entered my mind was Dapper Dan. (just watched a re-run the other evening.)
The standard wind deflector precludes anyone sitting in the back seat. Ball cap brims catch the wind, stocking cap gets too warm in the summer. I wear a variety of pub caps - the right one can be very becoming on a young lady.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:42 PM
jsthomas00
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
I'm still laughing, the first thing that entered my mind was Dapper Dan. (just watched a re-run the other evening.)
The standard wind deflector precludes anyone sitting in the back seat. Ball cap brims catch the wind, stocking cap gets too warm in the summer. I wear a variety of pub caps - the right one can be very becoming on a young lady.
I might venture a prototype and see how it works. I don't want to invest too much time, money, or effort so I'll see what I can throw together. Maybe just my daughter holding up some cardboard and seeing it knocks down some wind.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:07 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I remember someone doing something like that. I have the factory one in my R52 and I like it. But yes you lose some people sitting back there.

Someone a while back made one out of plastic like this but I cant find it anywhere and I dont think its available. Thats for an R59, but there was one like it for the r52.

OEM ones.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eflectors.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-28-2018, 05:41 AM
jsthomas00
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I remember someone doing something like that. I have the factory one in my R52 and I like it. But yes you lose some people sitting back there.

Someone a while back made one out of plastic like this but I cant find it anywhere and I dont think its available. Thats for an R59, but there was one like it for the r52.

OEM ones.

This is similar to what I have in mind. I'm just not sure how much it would really help being as far back as it is. There seems to be a lot of wind that comes in through there though.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Years past I read here that pet barrier nets worked as a cost effective wind deflector and also allowed use of the back seat. There's a myriad of designs online at a fraction of the price. Might be worth a try.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:49 AM
SonicTheMini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning

OEM ones.

my car came with something like this, never took it off so dont know what to compare it to but it is pretty windy back there with it on, my 3 year olds hair is all over the place

Old 03-28-2018, 01:06 PM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jsthomas00
Has anyone seen, heard or tried putting a wind screen behind the back seats between the roll bars to deflect some wind that the rear seats get?

I'm not sure how well it would work if at all. Thoughts?
I bought an OEM for my 2006 Mini and it changed everything. Without it, my wife and I couldn't talk to each other, front windows up or down, and her hair was a tangled mess. With the deflector and front windows up, all we felt was a light breeze over the top of our heads and we could talk in normal tones on the highway and hear each other perfectly. GREAT INVESTMENT!