R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I have a salt film on the inside of my drivers window-- any

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 08:28 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last several times I washed/dried the car, and later I opened and closed my driver's window, I noticed a film on the inside of the window when I closed the window. It looked like a thin coat of dried car wax. It was on the foward half of the drivers window, but not on the rest of the window. It didn't have a smell, but when I tasted it, it was salty.

I wasn't sure what it was. Not wanting to find a problem, I tested other theories-- I tasted the inside of the passenger's window to see if it tasted like pepper-- but alas that wasn't the case. I thought maybe since the car is pepper white, maybe MINI had thrown in a little salt to balance the recipe. Since they let us order the car 'a la car-te', maybe I should have specified low sodium Pepper White, especially since I am trying to watch my salt intake. Well, on the brighter side, I was looking for a way to spice the car up, and while this is more literal than I had in mind, it's cheaper than bonnet stripes.

My hunch is that the film is left over road salt. My hope is that it isn't coming up from inside the door. The window guide has a little white powder on it, when I put the window down, but it doesn't have white powder below the line of the window, when I pull the guide back with a knife blade and try to look down into the door.

Has anyone else had this problem (or even sweet, sour, or spicy on any other window or windshield might help...)? Any suggestions? I'm thinking if it continues, I'll call the dealer and ask them to take apart the door and see if there is a problem (besides the obvious concern that I apparently have begun tasting the inside of my car windows).

Thx,
Saltnpepper white

Old 04-23-2003, 06:49 AM
scironzts
2nd Gear
first off, let me say that i find it incredibly humorous that you "didn't know what it was", so you "tasted it". LOL! good times, good times.

secondly, i've had the same problem. but my "problem" only lasted about a day or so. i think it was some leftover salt residue that got down into the door via the window, but it was cleared up in no time. when's the last time it snowed around your way? if it's been a while, then yes, i would take it into the dealer to have them look at it. unless you are feeling brave enough and want to take your door apart (a lot easier than it may sound/look, and if you do it, just make sure you get everything back in place properly).

keep us updated on the salt-n-pepper mystery.

Old 04-23-2003, 07:00 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible spray residue from ocean transit? Car used previously by Wildlife division for animal management? Suggest you by can of pepper spray for opposing window.

Old 04-23-2003, 07:00 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible spray residue from ocean transit? Car used previously by Wildlife division for animal management? Suggest you by can of pepper spray for opposing window.

Old 04-23-2003, 07:18 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
I have that problem myself periodically...June '02 build...I did not drive my car in bad weather this winter, so I'm not sure about the road salt theory....I just clean the windows more often...

Old 04-23-2003, 07:38 AM
perfpow
3rd Gear
I got tired of this after having it occur all winter, so I tried something. I sprayed the inside of the window with glass cleaner and then, without wiping it off, I lowered the window. I repeated this until the inner felt wiper was soaked thoroughly. I raised and lowered the window and kept drying and repeating that procedure until it was clean. So, I basically cleaned the felt, not just the window. The inner felt gets wet whenever the car is washed. That's weird. Usually, on other cars, the outer felt gets wet. I don't know why the Mini has this problem, but in the winter it makes for dirty windows on the inside. Yuk.

PerfPow

http://www.perfectpowerinc.com

Old 04-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
If it looks, tastes, and feels like salt..... Its probably Salt. That would be my guess.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:32 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I recall daveindenver was having a similar issue. Hopefully he will chime in here, I know someone had a dealer dismantle and clean a door, maybe several times.

rat

Old 04-23-2003, 09:49 AM
jsun
6th Gear
There was a fairly long thread about this back during the winter. See it here.

It's salt. You should get your dealer to look at it and clean it out.

Old 04-23-2003, 10:26 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
Had the same issue. It went away after they stopped dumping salt on the roads where I live (greatlakes). I don't know how it gets in there. I am concerned about long term corrosion issues. I will discuss this with my dealer when it goes in for the suspension bolt recall.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:41 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>>There was a fairly long thread about this back during the winter. See it here.
>>
>>It's salt. You should get your dealer to look at it and clean it out.

(((Thanks!! This thread is very helpful. I wiped off the felt that touches the window with a damp cloth, and have not had anymore problem today; If it starts again, I will go right to the dealer. I want to document this problem and my concern that there is a potential corrosion problem; so if down the line there is rust, I will have some record of the onset of the problem, and my having brought it to the dealers attention; I hope this is not a design problem)))

Glad we have MCO for support and info!!

Old 04-30-2003, 09:29 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
Raining finally in the lower Great Lakes. I am getting moisture on the inside streaking where the salt build up was this winter. Water is definitely getting inside the door and window track. This is a BAD THING long term. Has anyone heard if a fix for this? I am going to my dealer soon and want to be fully informed on MINI's offical position and fix?