R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Need some help to become a MINI owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Misfit
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok heres the deal. my VW is dead. so i want a small car but a quick one too. I had a 87 Golf Gl and i need a new one. Im going off to college next year and i need a car. my dad has always said that a MINI Cooper S is a great car for a college student. i have sent him all the stuff on http://www.miniusa.com like the post card, brochure(sp), e-card and 2 MINI's ive built. My step mom isnt for getting me a car but my dad shows no expression on the subject. Now what i plan on doing is bring it up with my grandma which might i add is rich and my step grandma who is all about saftey. i have the crash test resualts handy. do you guys know of anything i can do to help me become a proud owner of a MINI. I do have a friend who has a old MINI. i will send him here when he gets online. anyone have any ideas that i can do to get them to pay for atleast part of the car. they are takeing half of my college expences.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:14 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
That's easy!! Just take each one of the parental types to the dealer and let them test drive a MINI. Ask them to reserve opinion until after they've seen it and driven it. (Can you picture either of your grandmothers driving a Cooper CVT?) MINI marketing is good, but there ain't nothin' like being behind the wheel.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:19 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
This is the perfect car for a teen. You should check out the YMM (Young MINI Motores) web site, where there are olny people 25 and under with there MINI's. I don't know the link, but look through the pages on I think MINI talk, and look for something that has to do with Younger MINI drivers. They will have a link on the fifth page. And for the safety thing, I have heard of someone on this site that was going 40MPH and ran into a 2ft in diameter tree, and the tree fell on top of the car. The driver walked away with a cut on his forehead.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Misfit
2nd Gear
over spring break i will try to get them to test drive one.
thats what i was driving

Old 04-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Harmini, just get them to drive one and read up on the safety features on the car. You may not want to let your Grandmother drive an "S" though it may scare her, unless you have a spirited granny.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:52 PM
3minis
Neutral
Tell them you'll quit school and
join a cult if they don't
buy you the car...

Old 04-10-2003, 05:34 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Misfit - Welcome to MCO! Good luck on getting yourself into a MINI! The best ideas has probably been said - get them into it, let them drive it.

Also, if you're going to MINI of Pittsburgh, tell them that I "sent" you and you can get a free 1 year membership to the PittStop MINI Club when you purchase the car.

Check out the Club website (in my sig) or send me an email if you have any questions about the Club, the car, or the dealership.

Old 04-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Misfit
2nd Gear
im also trying to get a job there this summer. im gonna try to get them to go soon. and hey its more friendly here than at http://www.vwvortex.com

Old 04-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Mini2Go
>>im also trying to get a job there this summer.<<

In that case, ask to speak with Bill Schmitt. Good luck on that as well!

Old 04-10-2003, 07:39 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Eh....vwvortex. Yeah I have an account on there. Honestly though.....you won't find nicer people on the Internet than on this site. I have been on ALOT of different car forums and there is just drama and nastiness everywhere but here. This is a great community!

Old 04-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Misfit
2nd Gear
>>>>im also trying to get a job there this summer.<<
>>
>>In that case, ask to speak with Bill Schmitt. Good luck on that as well!

who is mr. Schmitt and should i mention anyone here to help me out.

and i really do feel at home on this board and http://www.miniusa.com. everyone seems to have the same mindset as me. i love it.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:06 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
It´s really good to see a young driver actually being concerned about safety (even if it is through grandma).

Before getting my Mini, I had the impression it was a very delicate, not resistent car. All that dissapeared after I test drove one, and now that I own it. The car feels very rigid, and even though outside it looks very small and frail, once you are inside you feel like it´s a bigger car.

As for safety: The ABS works great, you have 4 airbags (or 6 in the Cooper S I think), EBD and ASC. You already have the crash test results, which are quite good also.

The real kick, like somebody else said is to go for a test drive.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Misfit
2nd Gear
hey i would rather be in a safe car and never crash it then be in a unsafe car aka my golf. and die

Old 04-11-2003, 07:35 AM
VerucaSalt
6 airbags in the Cooper, too.

(1 driver, 1 passenger, 1 in each front seat for side impact and 1 on each side that drops down like a curtain....)

The MINI is AIRBAG-ARIFFIC!!!

Old 04-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Misfit
2nd Gear
poo thats alot of air bags. wheres the one protecting your family jewels or the bumper

Old 04-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Mini2Go

>>who is mr. Schmitt and should i mention anyone here to help me out.<<

Check your PMs (Private Messages). You've got mail!

Old 04-11-2003, 07:44 AM
VerucaSalt
^ ^ Bumpers are replaceable. And as far as family jewels are concerned....well they are of none to me as I am not a guy.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Misfit
2nd Gear
lol there should be a airbag that baloons around the entire car

Old 04-11-2003, 12:09 PM
VerucaSalt
Old 04-11-2003, 12:20 PM
RCristiano
5th Gear
Believe me, if your parents test drive the car, they will want you to buy one. My dad had no support in getting me the MINI, but I begged him to test drive it with me one saturday, and he fell in love with it too. My mom and dad want to get me a MINI so they can drive it on the weekends I'm home from college! You also might want to send them a link of a comparison between the MINI and say an Audi A4 or a Saab 9-3, to give them perspective on how well the MINI did on crash tests.

Better yet, put them on here and all of us will work on them until they give in! Good luck, my child. May the MINI gods be with you.

Oh yeah, take it from someone who was in your shoes a year ago (as far as high school vs college goes) - next year will be one of the best of your life if you go to a 4-year college. I'm living in the dorms right now and I can't believe what's happening.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:59 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
my two cents...as a Dad and future provider of automobiles to my kids...yes, I am happy about the safety rating. However, look at how the MINI acheives that: it gives its life up for safety. Which is why a collision will just about total ( or cause serious $$ damage even at low speeds). Certainly, no one expects to get in an accident, but youths are the highest insurance risk for a reason

Old 04-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Misfit
2nd Gear
UPDATE: Ok so i got my dad to agree to a test drive next week. the way the deal is going is that he will pay for it when im in college and for how ever long i stay a full time student. hes gonna pay for more than half of my college but i get the grant and my scholarship. after college i take the burdon of my car. i would pay for the accident damage if i had any. ive had one small fender bender already although i wasnt at fault. thats why my car has a silver hood. we didnt report it because my car would have been totaled. so everything is looking on the up and up.

Old 04-14-2003, 06:21 AM
VerucaSalt
^ ^ Congratulations! That is great. And after college you should have no problem taking on the car by yourself. I bought my MINI as a graduation present to myself and I have had no problems at all.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Misfit
2nd Gear
Better than my $56 Golf. The one i want is 23k. so that shouldnt be hard.