R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Newb Here!!! First Post!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 04:59 PM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone!!

My name is Emily, and i am a BMW/Mini parts advisor on the east coast...i've come to your site in hopes to get some real feedback about minis, and to ask you guys some questions that i and some of my customers have been toatlly stumped on (believe me, it does happen)

so, anyways, here goes...my first question...

What wattage does the Harman Kardon system put out??
And the stock as well?

had someone call me bout that on friday...i didn't know off the top of my head, none of the sales people knew, it wasn't on the back of a new radio, and i didn't have an amp in stock to look @...AND, i even called BMW parts hotline, and they didn't even know!!!

so, yea, any help would be awesome!!! i know from experience on on a few VW enthusiest boards, that the computer geek car freak knows more than most when it comes to stuff like this...and, yes, i ama computer geek and car (X/) freak...so i wasn't doing any name calling!!

thanks a lot!!

Old 04-12-2003, 05:05 PM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
Welcome bmw/miniparts! pm antsmini, he should know, he's a motoring advisor! If he doesn't you'll want to talk to RandyBMC. Aw heck! forget antsmini! Randy's your guy. He invented minis! Well, maybe didn't invent them but he could've with all his knowledge about these babies!!! He's definately your guy!
Welcome and see ya around the -O-.

Old 04-12-2003, 05:15 PM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
cool beans...ill search around for those guys...haven't tried it yet, but i hope your search is better than zeroforum searches...arrrrgghhhh!!!

thanks for the bump anyways!! and the quick response!!

Old 04-12-2003, 05:24 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Well hello Emily....I know you. You are in Towson right? I'm Lauren...I drive a silver/black Cooper and I used to see you up at Loch Raven. (The last time I saw you was at H2O last year....I know all the NGP guys.....)

Well anyway...welcome to MCO...the people on here are really friendly and helpful. Whatever you need to know...I am sure you can find answers. :smile:

Old 04-12-2003, 05:24 PM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
hrrmmm...

im surprised that w/ 27 views no one knows the answer to this one yet...

TTT

Old 04-12-2003, 05:27 PM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
>>Well hello Emily....I know you. You are in Towson right? I'm Lauren...I drive a silver/black Cooper and I used to see you up at Loch Raven. (The last time I saw you was at H2O last year....I know all the NGP guys.....)
>>
>>Well anyway...welcome to MCO...the people on here are really friendly and helpful. Whatever you need to know...I am sure you can find answers. :smile:

hey lauren!! great to hear from ya!!!

goin' to loch raven tomorrow??! i'll b there as long as i can get the whip straight enough...i gave her a nice freash bath on thursday...to get her ready for the rain
and now she's nasty again...so i'll need to get her pretty AGAIN tomorrow to show her off!!

btw...got a new one...the golf is no more now i've got a GTi 1.8t!! Silverstone Grey...yada yada...you'll see it tomorrow if you come by...

Old 04-12-2003, 09:44 PM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
midnight bump...TTT

Old 04-13-2003, 08:02 AM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
1100am bumpity bump bump...

no one knows this one yet??! im very surprised!!

TTT

Old 04-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emily, I believe this was discussed many months ago. If I recall, the standard HU was something like 15 watts. I don't know about the HK.

Try the Forum search function (not the big search box at the top)... Check The Search How-to thread which explains the two different search functions on the site.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-13-2003, 08:18 AM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
thanks ill try that...guess i was trying for the "easy way out" on this one...if i find it, ill b sure to post it as im sure some or all of you are as unsureas i am about this topic...

thanks again!

Old 04-13-2003, 08:25 AM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
SEARCH RAWKS!!!!!

here ya go peeps:
FYI - I'll post this one more time:
From AskMINI
Hi Charles!

I found the information regarding the Harmon Kardon sound system that you requested. The Harmon Kardon has a total of eight speakers:
o Two Front Tweeters
o Two Front Loudspeakers
o 2x2 Rear Loudspeakers
The total system power is 320 watts and it utilizes an external audio amplifier located in the right rear cargo area.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions.

LET'S MOTOR.
Jen Schuelke
MINI Division
Customer Relations

Charles

*taken from: www.northamericanmotoring.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file= index&action=viewtopic&topic=5622

Old 04-13-2003, 08:29 AM
nfo
6th Gear
welcome to MCO!
just to let you know,
if those specs for the wattage are half as deceptive as "8 speaker system",
i'm sure that figure is the max max max that the system can handle without blowing up!

Old 04-13-2003, 08:42 AM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
just to let you know,
if those specs for the wattage are half as deceptive as "8 speaker system",
i'm sure that figure is the max max max that the system can handle without blowing up!
thanks...i figured as much...just wanted to get this info for a customer i spoke w/ on friday...

funny little storylett about that convo...

like i said in my first post, i didn't know, and no one else could tell me about the wattage of the system...so i resorted to my VW knowledge, in hopes to change direction of the convo, or at least help him to find his amp (since it's in the same spot in both cars)...told him about my 200watt 8 speaker Monsoon system in the GTi...and funny thing is, he had traded his Jetta w/ monsoon in for the Cooper!!! so, of course we talked a little, and he said the sound is closer to 300watts...as if you can really tell what wattage a system puts out w/ your ears...i guess mebbe you could if you were "car stereo guru" or something...but it was a funny little convo...but i guess he was right!

Old 04-13-2003, 11:50 AM
chefrichie
4th Gear
Hello and welcome to MCO,,I wanted to give props to another "local" MINI expert, especially knowledgeable on sound issues. If you have questions about the HK, car audio, or anything MINI give ryephile a try...he has become my VMA (virtual motoring advisor) and is a super nice guy to boot!

chef

Old 04-13-2003, 12:06 PM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
COOL!!! thanks a lot for the welcome!!

Old 04-14-2003, 05:17 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Wow the new car sounds great! I actually don't live in that area anymore....I've relocated to Northern Virginia, but am moving back to Maryland to live in Greenbelt next month (I am SO SICK OF MOVING). But yeah once that happens we will probably be up to Loch Raven on a Sunday or two during the summer!

Old 04-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Ok, so here's what it looks like:

We know the stock system is 15watts per channel peak. So maybe 7-10RMS on a good day per channel from the stock deck.

The HK uses "320 total watts" which to me, with a 4 channel setup means 80 watts per channel or about 60-65RMS per channel.

Ryephile and I always seem to chime in on detailing and stereos. Must be a "Ryan" thing.

R

Old 04-14-2003, 06:43 AM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
Wow the new car sounds great! I actually don't live in that area anymore....I've relocated to Northern Virginia, but am moving back to Maryland to live in Greenbelt next month (I am SO SICK OF MOVING). But yeah once that happens we will probably be up to Loch Raven on a Sunday or two during the summer
cool!! well i hope your move goes well, and i guess ill see ya soon!! :smile:

Old 04-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Misfit
2nd Gear
Hey welcome. Snotty Dubs. Havent herd that name. well since this morning on VWVortex. same name there for me

Old 04-14-2003, 08:21 AM
bmw/miniparts
1st Gear
Hey welcome. Snotty Dubs. Havent herd that name. well since this morning on VWVortex. same name there for me
i don't get it....have we met??!

im turbotrixie on the tex btw...