R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Child safety seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:35 PM
butchcassidy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I ask my question, let me qualify some information. First, I dont even have a child yet and one is not in the oven. Second, she drive an SUV and has the nerve to argue our "future" child's safety (but you know how wives can get ).

My wife claims that the safest part of a car for a child in a safety seat is the middle of the back seat. I know the MINI has seat anchors, but can the seat be mounted in the middle or must it be placed on one side or the other?

I am just looking to see if I can add this fact to my sales pitch or if I have too bury this in a mountain of other safety information.

Butch

Old 07-30-2002, 12:59 PM
kdog
2nd Gear
You would have to put it on one side or the other, not the middle. The MINI only has 2 seatbelts in the back. I'm not exactly sure how the built in anchors work, but my assumption would be that they are only located in the two available seating positions.

Old 07-31-2002, 01:35 PM
butchcassidy
2nd Gear
Thats what I thought. No problem, it won't slow me down...I'll just have to bury this knowledge with other safety facts.

Old 07-31-2002, 11:34 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>Thats what I thought. No problem, it won't slow me down...I'll just have to bury this knowledge with other safety facts.
>>

But here's something to counter back with... according to the manual, the MINI has 2 different types of mounts, one on each side of the car. Soo... you never have to worry about if the tether is the right type, or if you need to somehow convert it to work...

Rocketboy_X

Old 08-03-2002, 09:37 AM
mm
1st Gear
I'm planning on putting my almost 3yr old son in the MINI. I may even consider the front seat,

Old 08-13-2002, 11:44 AM
opal
1st Gear
After reading a post on another message board from a potential owner who decided against the MC because he couldn't fit a rear-facing infant seat in the back, I'm having a mild panic attack. I saw the Isofix seatbelt mounts in the Cooper specs and just figured "Great, it works with baby seats." It never occurred to me that I might not be able to fit the carrier-style seat needed by teeny children. And as I'm hoping that there will be an infant aboard my Cooper in the next year or two, this is a major concern. Someone please tell me that they've been able to fit an infant carrier in the back of a Cooper. Please.

(Oh, and mm? Aside from the airbag, the proximity to the windshield combined with the poor fit of adult seat belts makes the front seat a dangerous spot for children. While neither one is fun to crash into, a seat is a safer point of impact than a dashboard or windshield, and is less likely to lead to a child being tossed out of the car.)

Old 08-13-2002, 11:56 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>mm writes:
>>P.S. Ford EXCURSION has ben discontinued!! WHOOOO HOOOO the roads of America get a little bit safer. Now if only we could do something about those D*MN Suburbans... I hear ya! Will be glad when the Ford Excessives are no longer built! And the Suburbans are typically driven by clueless people yakking on their cels as they careen down the roads!

Old 08-13-2002, 12:27 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Oh thank goodness about the Excursion....I was cut off by one two days ago....the guy driving was going about 55 MPH in a 30 and narrowly missed hitting several other people ahead of me. It's like....if you want to drive like a total a$$ please don't do it in a vehicle more than 2 times bigger than most others on the road.

As for the safety seats....I know the Mini can comfortably fit two child seats, but none in the middle...why is she so worried now?

ps. I wish Clover lived near me.....Clo you are the coolest!!!!!