R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My Dilemma (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:54 AM
TooTallJones
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dilemma (long)

Hey again,

I started a thread a while ago about how I'm very tall and have a hard time fitting comfortably in almost any car. I also mentioned that I test drove a Mini and it turned out to be just *slightly* too small in the leg room department. I wish it had a telescoping wheel. If it did, it would be perfect. (In my last thread, I gave my height as 6'5". When I test drove the Mini, the sales lady said she's sure I must be at least 6'6" because the car is designed for someone up to 6'7" and I'm just about at capacity. After the test drive I got measured, and sure enough, I'm 6'6".)

The problem is not my height so much as the length of my legs. I think I mentioned before that I have a 36" inseam--might be slightly longer. Simply scooting the seat back farther than the track currently allows would not solve the problem. Although that would allow me to work the pedals without bumping the steering wheel, I'd be so far back that I'd have to lean forward to hold the wheel. So it's a long-leg problem, not a height problem per se. If the wheel would only telescope, I could solve both problems at once--get it out of the way of my legs and put it closer to my torso so I don't have to reach. Is there any way I could get a telescoping wheel installed?

Also, I recently test-drove a Dodge Magnum. That car fits me perfectly as is; I would have no need to alter anything about the seat, the pedals, or the steering wheel. Out of the 50+ cars I've sat in, it's the only one that fits perfectly. Problem is, that's about the only thing it has going for it as far as I'm concerned. It's a V6 (I want a four-cylinder), gets only fair gas mileage, is big and bulky, steers like a tank, and has "Dodge attitude" written all over it. (I find "Dodge attitude" obnoxious beyond words. It embodies almost everything I despise about American culture. But I'd better not get started on that.)

I have at least one other choice, and it's one I'd better give some serious thought to since money is fairly tight. I could find an old heap for 500 to 2,000 dollars, take it to a mechanic, get his assurance that it'll run for at least a year without bombing out on me, and buy it. Whatever repairs I might have to pay for would in all likelihood cost far less than the insurance and monthly payments on a new car.

In fact, considering that I'm a sensible, tightwad student who makes 10 bucks an hour, that's exactly what I would do--were it not for my inconveniently long legs. There are virtually zero cars that fit me. Driving with the wheel between my knees isn't just irritating; it's dangerous. If I had an emergency situation and needed to slam on the brakes, I might find myself fumbling around for the pedal and crash right into the kid/animal/car.

I guess another thing I could do is buy a cheap old car and modify the interior to my heart's content without worrying about the resale value because the car is on its last legs anyway. But I'd have no way of knowing for sure when I bought the car that it could be modified to fit.

I'd appreciate any feedback here.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:30 AM
C4
Banned
Well, if you don't feel comfortable in the MINI, really there is not much you can do. Unfortunately the MINI does not offer a telescopic steering wheel setting at this may pose a problem to very tall falks like you.

The MINI in the front has more leg room than most full size SUVs and it indeed can fit someone up to 6'4" or 6'7". But what is the point of buying a car that you won't be able the get comfortable behind the wheel?

Unless there is an aftermarket solution, I think you'll be better off getting in that Dodge Magnum.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:01 PM
jsharra
3rd Gear
Do you have the seat lowered all the way? Lowering it also moves it back. At full back and full low, with the seat back redclined a bit, it seems you should fit. I'm 6 even and I have to bring the seat quite a ways forward from all the way back.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry you don't fit. I'd be upset too if the only thing I fit was a Dodge Magnum. Even the Hemi isn't desirable, no matter what the 0-60 time is. It's more like a Hemi-roid.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
It's more like a Hemi-roid.
I LOLed.

---------

I don't even know if this is possible, but what about an aftermarket steering wheel, and throw some spacers behind the wheel and the hub to bring it out further?

I just figure if wheel spacers work on your tires, why not on your steering wheel as well?

I'm 6 even, but I also suffer from the long legs, and even with my monkey arms, they still get tired from having to hold them out so far away.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Blackhat00
2nd Gear
I'm 6'3" and really debated ordering a mini even after test driving it because of the leg issue. I'm just barely inside the comfort zone for driving it. In fact if the center pillars weren't rounded I'd be outside of it.

I'm with you on the magnum, really dislike that car all around after renting one for a week on a trip. Like you I did find the seating comfortable. I did give a though to the Cailbre and the PT Cruiser. Both fit fairly well but were imbued with that attitude you spoke of. Might want to try them at the least.

Another car that fit me extremely well with plenty of room to spare was a Toyota Prius. Another one to give a thought to.

You indicated money was kind of tight, but if you can get by for another year or so the supposed 'traveller' edition of the Mini might do you up. For that matter the 2007 Mini is supposed to be tweaked in terms of interior room. Something to consider.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I am 6' 2". and have a 34" inseam. I have to have the seat forward of the rear most position. I always suggest to have the seat all the way down. IMHO the only people that need it up are those who look between the dash and the steering wheel. or if in the case of former MINI Owner, The Short Bus, the same size and height as her My Size Barbie.

Your mention of seat modifications makes me remember the episode of unique Whips. Where the fat guy couldn't fit into the after market racing seats of his viper, he had them cut down into something like a recliner.... Perhaps that guy should have used the $$$ to get a gym membership or go to Dr 90210 for some liposuction??

I understand your size makes it difficult, but if your heart was truly set on a MINI you wouldn't even consider a Dodge Magnum. Why guzzle when you can sip?

Old 05-22-2006, 01:02 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
TooTallJones,
If you're really scrambling around for alternative vehicles, you might try sending a message to this guy (click on his username (effusant), and go to "send a private message"). He's got an old Nova that he modified to fit his size (6'5", 350+). Not sure how involved it is, but you might be able to do something like this in something other than a total heap. (Not sure about the MINI, though!)

He says:
"And the interior is all redone for the big'n'tall. I've got buckets from a mid-80's honda mounted 3" off the floor and about 14" behind the stock mounting holes. Making the brackets for that was my favorite part of the rebuild. I started with 1"X1/8" steel rod, a hammer, and an anvil and ended up with some nice W shaped brackets that mounted to the bottom and side of the floor pan with a horizontal plane to hold the seat rail."

Good luck!
Chris

Old 05-22-2006, 01:18 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
interesting thread.

not sure what issues you are having as I am 6'7" with 36" inseam, 250 lbs. and the car fits me fine with room to spare ... for almost 3 years already.
I am not even "all the way" back ... still got 2-3 clicks on the seat rail.

like someone mentioned, you probably did not have the height adjustement on the seat setup properly.

I have owned nothing but old school American land yachts prior to the MINI and this car is the most comfortable by far.

something was not right in the seat adjustment ... I would go back and play around with it some more ...

Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
Funny coincidence...

My wife picked out our first MINI in '03, she's 6'2" and VERY long legged. Even our '03 Honda minivan wasn't big enough for her legs up front. At the time it was the only car that had more leg room than she needed. But she got tired of it after a few years and she bought, yup, an '06 Magnum. Like you said, it fits big people well, especially with the power adjust seats. Why don't other cars make seats with as much travel as possible?
I drive the MINI (cabrio) but we usually take the Magnum to run errands on the weekend. It's a nice plush car but it handles VERY differently than the MINI. For a big car w/V6 the gas mileage & acceleration is very good (as good as our Honda minivan) and has been reliable. The feedback is good for this type of car but it's very soft and undersprung so it's not much fun to drive thru the twist stuff.

Originally Posted by TooTallJones
Hey again,

I started a thread a while ago about how I'm very tall and have a hard time fitting comfortably in almost any car. I also mentioned that I test drove a Mini and it turned out to be just *slightly* too small in the leg room department. I wish it had a telescoping wheel. If it did, it would be perfect. (In my last thread, I gave my height as 6'5". When I test drove the Mini, the sales lady said she's sure I must be at least 6'6" because the car is designed for someone up to 6'7" and I'm just about at capacity. After the test drive I got measured, and sure enough, I'm 6'6".)

The problem is not my height so much as the length of my legs. I think I mentioned before that I have a 36" inseam--might be slightly longer. Simply scooting the seat back farther than the track currently allows would not solve the problem. Although that would allow me to work the pedals without bumping the steering wheel, I'd be so far back that I'd have to lean forward to hold the wheel. So it's a long-leg problem, not a height problem per se. If the wheel would only telescope, I could solve both problems at once--get it out of the way of my legs and put it closer to my torso so I don't have to reach. Is there any way I could get a telescoping wheel installed?

Also, I recently test-drove a Dodge Magnum. That car fits me perfectly as is; I would have no need to alter anything about the seat, the pedals, or the steering wheel. Out of the 50+ cars I've sat in, it's the only one that fits perfectly. Problem is, that's about the only thing it has going for it as far as I'm concerned. It's a V6 (I want a four-cylinder), gets only fair gas mileage, is big and bulky, steers like a tank, and has "Dodge attitude" written all over it. (I find "Dodge attitude" obnoxious beyond words. It embodies almost everything I despise about American culture. But I'd better not get started on that.)

I have at least one other choice, and it's one I'd better give some serious thought to since money is fairly tight. I could find an old heap for 500 to 2,000 dollars, take it to a mechanic, get his assurance that it'll run for at least a year without bombing out on me, and buy it. Whatever repairs I might have to pay for would in all likelihood cost far less than the insurance and monthly payments on a new car.

In fact, considering that I'm a sensible, tightwad student who makes 10 bucks an hour, that's exactly what I would do--were it not for my inconveniently long legs. There are virtually zero cars that fit me. Driving with the wheel between my knees isn't just irritating; it's dangerous. If I had an emergency situation and needed to slam on the brakes, I might find myself fumbling around for the pedal and crash right into the kid/animal/car.

I guess another thing I could do is buy a cheap old car and modify the interior to my heart's content without worrying about the resale value because the car is on its last legs anyway. But I'd have no way of knowing for sure when I bought the car that it could be modified to fit.

I'd appreciate any feedback here.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Are you sure the front seat was all the way down on your test drive? Sometimes the dealers don't always put them all the way down. I'm not that tall (6' even) and the only cars I've crossed out due to height are a couple of Mazdas... the early 90s RX-7 and the Miata. I mention this because the first time I drove a Miata I found it easier looking over the windscreen than under (I'm long in the torso) but later I drove one with the seat properly all the way down and it was manageable.

Another thought is to try a MINI with the Euro Parcel Tray installed. I've heard that it increases legroom. You didn't give your location but maybe there is a MINI owner nearby that can let you sit in their car to see what difference it makes.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
going back to the problems us tall people face with cars ... for me it has always been the protruding center console most cars have ... and the MINI does not ...

my leg always gets really tight between it and the steering wheel, making a ride longer than 30 minutes very uncomfortable.

Japanese cars are notorious for these ...

ahh yes ... but check out the Toyota FJ Cruiser also for a lot of leg room. Tried it at the NY Auto Show last month and it has more room then you will ever need ... plus its a damn cool looking ride.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:49 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
There is one simple thing about this issue: You can't take height and inseam and say you will fit or not. You have to actually go sit in one. Just because somebody is taller than TooTallJones or longer inseam doesn't mean he HAS to have done something wrong. No two people are going to fit exactly the same and unfortunately being at the extreme upper end like this shows it. I wish the MINI's radio/HVAC/downtubes were moved over about 6 inches, but that would require a wider car.

As for the FJ Cruiser, I found just the opposite. I'm 6'7, 36" inseam, and a big guy....and I would NEVER drive one of those. It was way too uncomfortable and small for me. My brother is 6'2 and he didn't fit well either. That's why I say it's different for everybody. It makes me laugh saying the MINI is built to accomodate anybody up to 6'7. There are all kinds and sizes and proportions of bodies.

Maybe all us tall folks should just post what late model vehicles we had room in to give you some hints.

Here's mine (I worked for a body shop so I got to drive an assortment):

2003-2006 Toyota 4Runner (I had plenty of room, but of course it's a fairly large SUV)

I also had room in the Prius

Ford Escape

02-06 Camry

99 Corolla was very roomy

new GTO was pretty good

new Mustang was good

Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Kenny ... yeah, if you are a "big guy" of course things will change regardless of height ... not sure how much the original poster weighs ... but if the proper weight for his height, i see no problems really.

and i am not quite sure why he has problems reaching the steering wheel if the seat is way back ...