R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Laughter at the gas pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 02:12 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laughter at the gas pump

Friday I filled up my MCS with the usual 93 octane... $31.00, okay not cheap but when I pulled out the Speedpass receipt, attached to it was the previous SuckerUV damages: $99.00 for 31 gallons of Regular gas. That made my day. I actually took the receipt home to show my wife.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:40 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This morning, I drove up to the pump and asked for $5.00 worth of gas.

The attendant farted and gave me a receipt.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:55 AM
dazrum
2nd Gear
Bean

That's Funny.

Remember Eat Beans! America Needs The Gas!

Old 05-14-2006, 06:28 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
yeah. america's been having it easy with cheap gas prices. But we're soon creeping up to the UK. I just came back from london and they are about 98pence a liter... nearly $5 us a gallon. We're about $3.50 a gallon here in NYC. the time for efficient small engines is coming! or bio diesel alternatives

Old 05-14-2006, 06:33 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
The day of the big SUV has come and is gone. They just cant sell them anymore and they sit on the lots. I would hate to own one now. Really bad resale value.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:36 AM
davcoxx
Neutral
But, why is the gas that high in the U.K.? Is it the cost of the gasoline or a bunch of tax added to the price?

Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ninjamini
The day of the big SUV has come and is gone. They just cant sell them anymore and they sit on the lots. I would hate to own one now. Really bad resale value.
I hope what you say is true. Most people around here would pawn their first born son before they'd give up their SUV/Big *** Pickup.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:45 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ninjamini
If only! Here in SoCal I see a brand new one driving my compute almost daily. I always wonder why so many people find buying gas such a great hobby.
When I spend money, I like it to be on stuff I really enjoy like MINI stuff, not gas!

Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davcoxx
But, why is the gas that high in the U.K.? Is it the cost of the gasoline or a bunch of tax added to the price?
From the way I understood it, the differences in our gas prices were their MUCH higher tax rate, not the actual price of the gas

Old 05-14-2006, 06:56 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
Friday I filled up my MCS with the usual 93 octane... $31.00, okay not cheap but when I pulled out the Speedpass receipt, attached to it was the previous SuckerUV damages: $99.00 for 31 gallons of Regular gas.
You put in 31 gallons of regular for SUV

How many gallons for the MINI since premium is usually at least 20 cents more per gallon.

I ask because I pay just about the same whether filling up my "suv" vice MINI due to the cost difference between regular and premium.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:15 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Before this thread gets over my head (doesn't take much) let me observe that while I don't find myself laughing at the gas pump, I don't find myself particularly terrorized either. Nor am I likely to be...I have a thing for small cars and for good fuel economy. Driving a Cooper (happily) and riding a commuter train takes the strain off, especially when I'm generally surrounded by gas guzzlers by comparison. Even a Cooper is barely adequate by my standards, though. Get me in the 40s mpg and I'll have something to laugh about....I got that in my Metro in the early 90s!!!

What has fascinated me for some time is the concept of using only what one needs, not what one wants or feels "entitled" to. While transportation is but one small facet of this, in other areas it opens up entire universes. But then, I always find it easier to embrace a mindset or philosophy and make decisions based on that, rather than visa versa. Different strokes...

Old 05-14-2006, 09:01 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I have a thing for small cars and for good fuel economy. Driving a Cooper (happily) and riding a commuter train takes the strain off, .
Sort of like most Europeans.

You won't find too many SUVs over there. And you will find prolific public transportation. I've read a few posts on MINI 2 where owners are reluctant to drive a couple of hundred miles 'up north' for Mikeythemini to work on their audio. Discretionary driving may start to become an issue with us.

I say 'may' because in my lifetime, I've seen gas go from $.25 to over $3.00.
Somehow we've been able to adjust. The oil companies have never charged us more for gas than we were able to pay for it. Never less...but never more. It's called Marketing 101 and it's always worked for them.

Just a short word about European gas tax: yes it's huge, but you get something back for it. A large portion goes into funding of their socialized medical care...something besides public transportation we don't have here.

Now...can we get back to some more HUMOR at the pump? Thanks.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:49 AM
domc
3rd Gear
Nearby, Fred Weeks, operations director at Waldorf Ford, also said car sales are up, while trucks aren’t moving much. Weeks said Monday he received a ‘‘news bulletin” from Ford Motor Co. reporting that April car sales were up 8 percent over March sales, and that April truck sales were ‘‘down slightly.” In fact, Ford’s SUV and truck sales fell 15 percent nationally last month.
The national trade association this week reported higher sales of all manufacturers’ ‘‘light vehicles,” as consumers are seeking fuel economy, with four-cylinder engines leading the way.

Scott Simering, sales manager at Koons Ford in Rockville, said he has noticed a slight slowdown in sales volume, not more than 5 percent. ‘‘We primarily sell trucks and SUVs and sales have fallen a little,” Simering said.
He said sales have been steady for Ford’s Fusion, which has replaced the Taurus and gets 29 miles per gallon on the highway and 21 mpg in the city, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, and the Focus, which gets 32 mpg and 26 mpg, respectively.
‘‘People are not saying anything about gas prices because customers are coming in because they are already interested in SUVs and trucks,” Simering said.

Story: http://www.gazette.net/stories/05110...49_31955.shtml

Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
my 06 civic sedan (ex) gets about 37mpg on surface roads...this is still in break-in
period. lol it's suppose to do 40mpg on hwy...and much quicker than most
4 NA bangers.

i only need to fillup once every 4 weeks.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:07 AM
mcsdmn
2nd Gear
once? how often do you drive?

Old 05-14-2006, 11:10 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
^ every day to work (approx 23miles round trip), but almost
none on the weekends. it can do 550 miles on one tank
if on hwy... that's here to detroit and back without needing
to fill up. if traffic behaves.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Anybody watched the trailer to Over the Hedge? The part when a group of forest animals checking out a SUV was hilarious:

Raccoon: "That is an SUV."

Everybody: "That's so big!"

Possum: "How many humans fit in there?"

Raccon: "Usually...one."

BTW, I just filled up yesterday. 13.554 gallons of 93 (they didn't have any 91) @ $3.099 comes out to $42.00 . But it could've been worse. I could've filled up in NY for something like $3.50~ instead. I love you New Jersey!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 11:28 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
Friday I filled up my MCS with the usual 93 octane... $31.00, okay not cheap but when I pulled out the Speedpass receipt, attached to it was the previous SuckerUV damages: $99.00 for 31 gallons of Regular gas. That made my day. I actually took the receipt home to show my wife.
Amazing to see some people enjoying the misery and hard times of others.
Ever think that some people need to drive SUV's for work or family reasons...

I'm sure there are plenty of people who own SUV's with 6 people seated in comfort laughing at 4 people trying to sit in a mini, especially on a long trip.. or when something needs to be towed or hauled...

What you find enjoyable seems to be caused by ignorance or ill will

Old 05-14-2006, 11:55 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Well, after paying $50 to fill up our Pacifica last week we decided that we wanted an alternate for those short trips into town and quick errands that we frequently make.

On Tuesday, we bought it. Right now we estimate that we're getting between 70 and 80 MPG and it's last tank of gas cost all of $8 and change... for Premium!

The new gas sipper sitting in our garage... A 2006 Vespa Grantourismo 200 in midnight blue with a suede seat. The MINI will continue to soldier on as a commuter car, the Pacifica will still see duty for Costco runs, grocery runs, as the weekend family and cargo hauler, and for longer trips when the MINI is occupied and the Vespa isn't practical for.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:59 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mikem53
Amazing to see some people enjoying the misery and hard times of others.
Ever think that some people need to drive SUV's for work or family reasons...

I'm sure there are plenty of people who own SUV's with 6 people seated in comfort laughing at 4 people trying to sit in a mini, especially on a long trip.. or when something needs to be towed or hauled...
The majority of those who post frequently here are anti-SUV and proud of it.

However, there are many here who either own, or have no ill will towards SUV owners for the most part.

Personally, I have no problem with SUV's, however there are those that I think are too large and completely too much vechicle for those that own them...

Old 05-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Oh my god...I'm so much better than them because i drive a MINI and they drive an SUV ,what losers!!!"

If you think that gas mileage determines how cool you are....go buy a hybrid or something.

Stop hating on SUVs (I dont even own one (and never would, dont need it))

Old 05-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear

Clicky! Thaaaaaaaaanx!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:32 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
I love that south Park Episode. lol. we all need to more to Sanfransisco now!

how quickly a simple thread is going down hill :(

Old 05-14-2006, 01:10 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
In addition to my MCS, I have a 2000 Ford Excursion. Its over $120.00 to fill it up.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:53 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by qwertmoneky
In addition to my MCS, I have a 2000 Ford Excursion. Its over $120.00 to fill it up.

You're either rich or dumb. not sure which. jk

Quick Reply: R50/53 Laughter at the gas pump