R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Nearly T-boned Someone Tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nearly T-boned Someone Tonight...

I was making a left turn at a light, on the inside of two dedicated left-turn lanes. I was taking the turn without braking because -- well -- not being at the Dragon, I have to get my fun where I can! As I'm almost through the intersection and about to straighten the wheels, the car making the turn from the outside lane pulls right in front of me -- to make a U-turn!

Thank goodness for a responsive car and good brakes!

I only had enough time to brake, and I think I was just too shocked even lay on the horn. I ended up slightly into the small painted median, my bonnet pointed right at the other car's driver. The other car straddled the lane I was in and a lane of opposing traffic. Fortunately there was no opposing traffic at that moment. The cars turning behind each of us managed to maneuver around us. The young woman driving the other car looked at me as if nothing was wrong, finished her U-turn, and continued on her merry way.

Oh yeah, she was talking on her cel phone.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Hngn on n the psnger seat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VR glad you are ok.
I have taken to not driving farther than i need to lately as it must be close to a full moon or something because drivers seem to be worse than normal. Maybe they all wish they where at the dragon also

Old 05-07-2006, 09:36 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
Don't you wish you could just get out and smack people like that?

Old 05-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, glad you're okay. Goes to show can't be too careful when everyone else needs to yak away on their phone. And another accident avoided due to the handling of the MINI. Glad you're alright sounds like I'll stay out of Sacramento for a while.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:09 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
I am going to invent a cellular signal blocker and install it on all cars in the middle of the night. Now I just need the millions to invent and produce this little brain gem.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:22 PM
ka_ciao
4th Gear
Glad to hear you're a-ok and were able to stop with no collision. Score another one for the MINI!!!

But I'm so friggin' sick of morons on their cell phones nearly causing accidents and then driving off like nothing happened!

Old 05-07-2006, 10:32 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bumble's angel
I am going to invent a cellular signal blocker and install it on all cars in the middle of the night. Now I just need the millions to invent and produce this little brain gem.
Maybe you can get some insurance company to finance it!

One thing that really irks me about this near-hit, aside from the cel phone, is that the other driver missed a turn or something, and decided that she had to "fix it" then and there with no regard for whoever else might be on the road. She could have driven around the block. She could have pulled into a parking lot, or continued on for a block or two to make a legal U-turn, but no -- her convenience was more important than the convenience or safety of the people around her.

I'm feeling a good rant coming on!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:03 AM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
Yes I love when another driver makes a stupid mistake then acts like YOU are a moron.

I had that experience on the interstate outside Nashville, during afternoon rush hour. Driving along in a relative's TrailBlazer, minding our own business. A teenage girl in a Suzuki SUV, talking on her phone, laughing with her 2 girlfriends in the vehicle with her, no signal light on, starts into my lane. This is at approx. 80 MPH and she's not just drifting over, she's lane-changing. The passenger estimates that we missed a collision by less than a foot (of course, with her knocking out my right front, we likely would have spun and flipped), we all give her the "what the ?" look, and she has the nerve to laugh and flip us off as she speeds ahead.

I would gladly invest in that cell-phone deactivator. Maybe we can call it the Cell Block.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:19 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Thats why every MINI should have air horns! I installed mine and LOVE them!!!

Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 AM
DownSize
3rd Gear
some people ae just I hate things like this!