R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 CVT or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:58 AM
CCC
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a Cooper and would prefer the auto transmission. What do you CVT owner's say, would you do it again?

Old 02-26-2003, 06:18 AM
HARMINI
5th Gear
Welcome to MCO, ccc!!

To answer your question: would I do it again? Absolutely! No regrets, here. For my driving style (mostly city and traffic), the CVT is a must. I live in a very congested area, so parking is always a problem. I have to parallel park wherever I go and it's just so much easier with an automatic, especially when parking on a hill. But aside from the convenience factor, I gotta say that the CVT is by far the most fun driving experience I've ever had. I've owned both manual and auto tranny cars and know the pitfalls of both. With the CVT, you get to choose when you want to work it (Step mode, baby!!), or when you want to just cruise along effortlessly. There is a bit of a learning curve with this kind of tranny and unfortunately, you must wait until after the break-in period to practice it. But once you hit 1200 miles, this new toy will not disappoint. Granted, the CVT will never be as fast as the manuals, but if you are looking for total control over your motoring experience, then the CVT is for you.

Note: many of the problems with the 2002 and early 2003 CVTs have been corrected by the software upgrades. My Nov 2002 build MC drives perfectly now.

Old 02-26-2003, 06:46 AM
VAmini
3rd Gear
I wanted to chime in on this one and say that I am in total agreement with HARMINI about my CVT transmission! I also have a Nov 2002 build car and have had ZERO problems with my transmisison to date. I sweated over the decision to get CVT... all my previous cars had been manual and I was afraid that getting the auto trans would be an injustice to this car. But I LOVE it! The steptronic is so much fun to use in the mountains in my area, but when I just want to drive without thinking about shifting I can do that too. There has been a lot of talk about problems with the CVT, but that seems to have been worked out with time. I have not had any of the cold-start, lurching, or other issues that others have reported.

Bottom line: if you want it, get it!

Old 02-26-2003, 07:27 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I agree with HARMINI and VAMINI, I ordered my MINI last July with the CVT, after reading the issue here I questioned that decision. Since my wife would be driving the MINI the CVT had to stay. I am glad I got it.

Let me example a few things about the CVT that I have found;

1. When starting from a stop and accelerating you do not feel the CVT changing gears when in the 'D' mode. Very smooth no jerking of the transmission.

2. When slowing down it is the same thing and when you are getting ready to come to a complete stop you can feel the CVT using the engine to help slow you down.

3. In the 'SD' mode you get complete control of when the CVT shifts up and down. If you are in 30mph area you can put it in 3rd or 4th gear and hold the car @30mph without touch the brake.

4. If I feel the need to shift I can and my wife can leave in 'D' when she drives.

Orver all it is fun to drive with CVT.

Old 02-26-2003, 07:56 AM
HARMINI
5th Gear
Just a clarification on mini-rolls item #3

>>> 3. In the 'SD' mode you get complete control of when the CVT shifts up and down. If you are in 30mph area you can put it in 3rd or 4th gear and hold the car @30mph without touch the brake. <<<<

In the SD mode (Sport Drive), the RPMs increase by about 1000, but until you shift up/down, you won't be in Steptronic mode, just a zippier kind of automatic driving. I use SD for quick off-the-line acceleration, then shift up to go into 3rd gear in Step mode. This eliminates those painful first two gear shifts.

Between the engine-braking feature and the ability to downshift to deccelerate, I should get many miles out of my brakes, even with all the stop and go that I do.

Old 02-26-2003, 07:58 AM
C4
Banned
Absolutely get the CVT!!! We love it!!! :smile: :smile:

And now it is even better since we got software update version 32.1 installed last week.

We have 4,300+ miles since September '02 and ZERO problems with our CVT.

I really like the engine braking power effect afforded by this transmission and all 3 available driving programming modes (Normal, Sport and manual Steptronic).

I never cared for the 5-speed manual in the regular Cooper, but the CVT is definetely a must have in the Cooper. The CVT is the best kept secret in the lineup!.

If you have any other questions about the CVT, feel free to send me a private message.

Cheers.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:17 PM
scironzts
2nd Gear
i'm not going to be entirely too much help here, but i can put in my 2 cents from an outsiders POV.

my girlfriend has the CVT tranny in her cooper. it's pretty damn cool if i may say so myself. the tranny likes to be real jerky when it's cold, but get that puppy warmed up, and that CVT crap is awesome! :smile: i've never really taken a long road trip with her, but from what i've seen, it's kinda cool if you don't want the full on manual tranny. :smile:

Old 02-26-2003, 01:22 PM
nfo
6th Gear
i've got nothing but love for my cvt!
until there is a SMG trans. car that i can afford, cvt is perfect for me!

Old 02-27-2003, 07:39 AM
C4
Banned
>>i'm not going to be entirely too much help here, but i can put in my 2 cents from an outsiders POV.
>>
>>my girlfriend has the CVT tranny in her cooper. it's pretty damn cool if i may say so myself. the tranny likes to be real jerky when it's cold, but get that puppy warmed up, and that CVT crap is awesome! :smile: i've never really taken a long road trip with her, but from what i've seen, it's kinda cool if you don't want the full on manual tranny. :smile:

Tell your girlfriend to get software update version 32.1 installed ASAP in the Cooper CVT. The "jerkiness" that you make reference to is caused by a defective version of the DME controlling software and the only way to completely cure it (Among other well documented CVT annoyances) is to get software update 32.1 installed.

She needs to call her local MINI dealer and book and appt. Trust me, once the car gets 32.1 it is a much different car...powerful, smooth as butter and simply a sensational treat.

Go and get 32.1 NOW!!!!

Old 02-27-2003, 10:14 AM
SquigiDoodle
2nd Gear
My MINI had a production date of 2-14-03 and is currently sailing. Does anyone know if my CVT will come with the 32.1 version or will I need that checked when I pick it up???

Old 02-27-2003, 10:24 AM
nfo
6th Gear
SquigiDoodle.
i wouldn't worry about it. i'm sure it will have the latest version!

Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 AM
C4
Banned
>>My MINI had a production date of 2-14-03 and is currently sailing. Does anyone know if my CVT will come with the 32.1 version or will I need that checked when I pick it up???

Call MINIUSA 1-866-ASK-MINI and ask them to make a note for them to verify that the car already has 32.1 while is being checked at the VPC. Talk to your dealer and also ask them to double check on your DME software version prior to final delivery.

Should not be a problem for MINIUSA and your dealer to ensure this.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:02 AM
sirron
5th Gear
>>About to buy a Cooper and would prefer the auto transmission. What do you CVT owner's say, would you do it again?

YES. YES. YES. Best of both worlds.....well, not quite. But it is a pleasure to drive....and if you want to change gears, just knock it over and zoom.

What is the jerkiness some of you CVTers have? I've had mine since April 2002 and have noticed no problems.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 AM
silkgreen
2nd Gear
agree with the assessments made here. didn't think i would like it but it does seem to be the best of both worlds.

only down side is that appaerently the redline is about 1000 RPMs lower on CVT cars for some reason (mechanical no doubt). these cars also are rated at a slightly lower top speed. this may be because the CVT weighs a bit more than the 5 speed.

we just got the software update and it seems to have done the trick.

CVT is VERY good for long motoring trips. we did washington, oregan, CA at x-mas and it was great!

we'll see how it does at the autocross this weekend!

curt

Old 02-27-2003, 11:14 AM
silkgreen
2nd Gear
agree with the assessments made here. didn't think i would like it but it does seem to be the best of both worlds.

only down side is that appaerently the redline is about 1000 RPMs lower on CVT cars for some reason (mechanical no doubt). these cars also are rated at a slightly lower top speed. this may be because the CVT weighs a bit more than the 5 speed.

we just got the software update and it seems to have done the trick.

CVT is VERY good for long motoring trips. we did washington, oregan, CA at x-mas and it was great!

we'll see how it does at the autocross this weekend!

curt

Old 02-27-2003, 11:34 AM
SquigiDoodle
2nd Gear
Thanks for your tips everyone re: ensuring I have the latest software version for the CVT prior to my delivery. Also, great comments on the CVT. Super jazzed I went that direction. Can't wait to try it out!

Old 02-27-2003, 06:09 PM
ARitz
1st Gear
Not much more can be said, that hasn't been said before, but I agree fully. CVT is a great option.

-Andrew

Old 02-27-2003, 07:18 PM
mia
Neutral
a definite YES for CVT. my SQUIRT is 4-02 build...had the jerking thing fixed with 32.1...and now is "more" perfect than before. especially if you are in a high traffic area, it is great!

Old 02-27-2003, 07:22 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>What do you CVT owner's say, would you do it again?

Where's antsmini when you need him?!?!

Old 02-28-2003, 09:39 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although it seems like there is not much else to be said, I wanted to chime in with my adoration for the CVT as well!

In short, I would definitely do it again!

Old 03-06-2003, 05:57 AM
Eggsav
1st Gear
I tried to get the newest software update and my dealer said that it killed 2 cars that they installed it on! I guess I am stuck with the lurching problem for a while longer....... :evil: