R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 "Convenience Opening" --- Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Riddler
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Convenience Opening" --- Yay or Nay

Picked up my 05 MCS from the dealer today, who was suppposed to activate "convenience opening," which they forgot to do initially upon delivery. Well, turns out the mighty MINI sevice staff de-activated "auto-unlock" instead. Greeeaaat! It was too late to get that mistake reversed today, so I ended up talking to a MA about that feature, and he suggested that it might not be such a good idea to have it activated after all. Seems like the problem-ridden window motors experience even more stress that way, and the battery might get slowly drained as well (that one sounded pretty suspect).

Now -- I REALLY want that feature though. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Any bad experiences so far?

Thanks,

- ®

Old 10-17-2005, 11:33 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never had any problems with this...

Old 10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Is that the feature that allows you to open and close the windows with the key/fob?
If so, then: Yay!!
I love it on a hot day and definitely recommend it. And, having all the windows and roof close at the same time while you stand outside looks cool.

dan

Old 10-18-2005, 02:24 AM
fred3
4th Gear
I like mine. It sounds like they're just being lazy.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:34 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I’ve never had a window motor go bad or loss of battery on my 02 MCS for any reason, let alone using the auto unlock feature. Living in Florida I use this feature constantly to lower the windows and release the hot stuffy air from my MINI before I get to the door.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:43 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Hahahahahahaha.

Another "clueless MA" story.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:35 AM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Why would using the remote to do what you'll do with the switch inside make any difference to the motors? Sounds like MA BS to me.

I love the convenience opening feature.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have it and think it's great. There is one thing to be careful of. There have been reports (and I have experienced.... ) of peoeple accidentally opening their windows while inside their homes or offices. On the plus side, it seems that the remote is less sensitive on my '05 than it was on my '02.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:20 AM
resmini
6th Gear
The MA was just trying to keep the dealership from having to mess with your car.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:07 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minibeel
Is that the feature that allows you to open and close the windows with the key/fob?
If so, then: Yay!!
I love it on a hot day and definitely recommend it. And, having all the windows and roof close at the same time while you stand outside looks cool.

dan
I think he means "... open at the same time", not "close". From outside the car, the only way mine will all close together, is by holding the key all the way to the lock position while it's inserted in the door handle.

Still, I give convenience opening 2 thumbs up, or one thumb up and the other one holding the button down . It has both utility and coolness. Get a new MA.

$.02 from Tatt

Old 10-18-2005, 07:18 AM
blitz64
2nd Gear
If you live in a place that's hot all the time, then yay.

If not, then no because your windows might accidentally open sometimes. If it's raining, and you put the key in your pocket. The button might be pressed and the windows will open. It only happen to me once, coming back to my car and the window is half open.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:36 AM
LagunaSol
4th Gear
No problems with mine, though my remote range is really limited.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Riddler
2nd Gear
Tally

Let's see here:

11 YAYs
0 NAYs

Conveniece Opening, here I come!

Thanks a lot guys,

- ®

Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Get that feature! (it will be much unconvenient when you need to put the key in and do the open or close)... your MA just give you a bunch of BS. You paid full MSRP, and you deserved to get any setting you like. I never have problem with the convenient opening on both my MINI and Bimmer. Regards to battery drain, it won't drain until you use it, and the system is design for retaining power after the car shut off, it shouldn't be any problem with it.

If your MA give you more BS, tell him that you will give him the lowest rating when MINI call for evaluation.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:33 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Do what makes you happy of course, however I vote nay. I had mine deactivated after finding the car had opened the windows on its own a few times *

Besides, I had the same feature on bimmers for years before and found I very rarely used it - sounded neater then it really was functional to me. Figured I'd rather be able to leave my Mini closed and find it that way when I get back and just use the key in the lock should I want to open up the two windows and roof simutaneously.

Scary what your MA told you since it either indicates that he is ridiculously uneducated about the car and its issues or he is lying/making something up to sway you from having them reprogram

*The odd thing about finding the windows open is that there was no way the key was pushed in the interim either...

Edit: I also do not find using the lock to be any less convenient then using the fob since you have to stand so close holding the fob to get it work anyway. I remember when I wanted to show this 'cool' feature to a friend a long time ago with the 3 series and in the end felt pretty silly standing near enough to the car and pressing the fob for as long as it took to finish the process when I coulda been in there with the AC blasting by then

Old 10-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Riddler
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by francisk
(it will be much unconvenient when you need to put the key in and do the open or close).
That's not working right now either.

- ®

Old 10-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Riddler
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
*The odd thing about finding the windows open is that there was no way the key was pushed in the interim either...
I did hear about that, and was hoping to get some feedback in this regard. Thanks for bringing it up. I'll probably still get it, and hope what you described does not apply to my MINI.

- ®

Old 10-18-2005, 08:59 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Riddler
That's not working right now either.

- ®
I though your isn't working on the remote only... they also turn the feature off on the key hole also?!
Even the some of the latest Japenese car already have that feature STANDARD.. I wonder what your's MA doing.... They should give you a check list about what feature to turn on before the delivery. I hope you are not like me (1 hrs away from the dealer), otherwise it is a pain for driving back an forward to have that thing done...

Old 10-18-2005, 09:07 AM
keen
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Riddler
I ended up talking to a MA about that feature, and he suggested that it might not be such a good idea to have it activated after all. Seems like the problem-ridden window motors experience even more stress that way, and the battery might get slowly drained as well
Uh. It's been on my '03 since day one and never caused any problems so far, 36k miles.

Range of the key is a bit weak usually, and some sides of the car get better distance than others...I find it usually helps to hold the end of the key to my chin as I hold the button down to get more range.

Looks funny walking across the parking lot, though.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Riddler
2nd Gear
I did get that checklist (after specifically requesting it, that is) before delivery, and checked the CO feature. Just never got around to bringing it back to the stealer (Schomp in Denver) until now. Most of the MAs that I've met there so far are arrogant p@nks. Most of them, not all of them.

I'll take it back tomorrow, and just wait around until they get it right, its not too far away.

- ®

Old 10-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Riddler
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by keen
Looks funny walking across the parking lot, though.
I hear ya loud and clear. I find myself doing the exact same thing sometimes. Placebo???

- ®

Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by blitz64
If you live in a place that's hot all the time, then yay.

If not, then no because your windows might accidentally open sometimes. If it's raining, and you put the key in your pocket. The button might be pressed and the windows will open. It only happen to me once, coming back to my car and the window is half open.
I don't know about anyone else but I have to hold my key button down like trying to make Lincoln squeal to get the top down!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 AM
anteken
4th Gear
Since I live in a warm climate, I vote Yes. I'm not close to where I leave my car, so I'm not worried about "accidental" openings. Also a very safe area....your area may vary.

Cheers

Old 10-18-2005, 10:37 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
I use mine almost every day. My remote is not that far, but I can walk to my car and the windows will at least be down a few seconds before I get in. When it is 90 plus degrees that helps a lot. When it is cooler out, the difference is even more dramatic.

Also, definitely make sure they enable auto unlock as well. Much better than having people tear your handles off.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Riddler
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LeeL
Also, definitely make sure they enable auto unlock as well. Much better than having people tear your handles off.
Yeah, tell me about it. I had Auto Unlock all along, until those geniusi (sp?) decided to de-activate it instead of activating CO.

- ®

Quick Reply: R50/53 "Convenience Opening" --- Yay or Nay