R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Ordering-The real deal

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Newkevin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK everyone. For all of you out there (in So. Cal, like me) who have not yet ordered your MINI, here are some things you need to know.

I went down to Universal MINI, talked to Chris, who started to write up my order (from my MINI.com printout), as he was writing it up,
at the bottom, went in the 6kmarkup, just like the floor models. When I objected, he dropped of 2k, but stopped there. When I explained
that I believed that at Long Beach MINI, there was no markup, he said that they marked up the price through dealer add-ons. Being that he was not coming off the mark up, and I did not beleive his story, I left.

So, here is the Long Beach MINI story, for those of you not familiar with it. There is a waiting list of appox 4-6 months to place your order. That could be shorter, just depends. But you need to call them about once a month to let them know you are stiil interested. Once an order is placed, which does NOT
require a 2k down to place (unlike UC MINI and other places), it is the standard wait. Once the car arrives, they DO NOT!!! add on additional items to
your car. That only applies to cars on the floor. You get your car the way you want it. Only big down side, the wait.
So, for me, my name is on the list. If you are serious and do not feel like paying for a huge mark up, call LB MINI and put your name in. The wait isn't going to get any shorter anytime soon.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Motor On!
----------------------------------
Cooper S Dark Grey White roof
Premium/Sport Panther grey gravity leather
H-K stereo if possible
Name and plates? Stay tuned for that info..Think.... Spinal Tap

Old 07-05-2002, 05:44 PM
mcarmack4
Neutral
Hey NewKevin;
Sounds like your on the West Coast, I test drove my first Mini Cooper S, in San Franciso in May, now 2 months later I own a Yellow S, equiped with the Premium Package, Sport Package, heated seats, Lo Jack vechicle locater, K-40 radar.
I'm located in the Mid-West I found by emailing all the Mini dealers in the Mid-West and East coast there are some that will sell at MSRP and only install options you want, if any dealer installed ones.
I was very lucky, to have found one so quick, but I kept in constant contact with my dealer, and he told me one of the main reasons I moved to the front on the line so quickly was my passion for the car, and my constant emails and phone calls right now they want to sell to people that have a passion for the cars.
Motor on young man!

Old 07-06-2002, 05:45 AM
pkranger63
Neutral
I went throught the same thing with Universal Mini. I also did not want to deal with the wait time. I made a compromise, I kept checking the Niello Mini website (dealer in sacramento) till somthing came in that was very close to what I wanted, rented a car drove up there and drove my mini home. Total wait time, a 5 hour drive. I do have a car with heated seats which are going to be real practical living in central California but I wasn't willing to wait :smile:

Old 07-08-2002, 03:02 PM
mixdman
Neutral
>>I went throught the same thing with Universal Mini. I also did not want to deal with the wait time. I made a compromise, I kept checking the Niello Mini website (dealer in sacramento) till somthing came in that was very close to what I wanted, rented a car drove up there and drove my mini home. Total wait time, a 5 hour drive. I do have a car with heated seats which are going to be real practical living in central California but I wasn't willing to wait :smile:

And you paid WAY TOO MUCH at Niello! $995 for floor mats and fabric/paint protection!!!!????

Old 07-08-2002, 04:16 PM
pkranger63
Neutral
I am sorry, I really didn't consider 900 dollars in the grand scheme of things WAY too much espeically when I hear what other folks have gone through.

Old 07-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Wow, after spending about $22,000 that extra $995 is going to convince me to wait 9 months elsewhere!!! Ohh man, you got ripped off!!!

Old 07-09-2002, 08:04 AM
nerdigrrl
1st Gear
Well...we did the same thing. That $1000 wax job and floor mat seemed worth not having to wait 6 months for a custom order (we got our Maxine 4 days after our test drive). And since half of the Bay Area delaers had $2000 markups to wait 6 months, $1000 didn't seem so bad for immediate gratification.

And while we probably got a car earmarked for a Sac. listee (sorry) we're totally thrilled that we have our Maxine, even though we don't go to car shows, and didn't have the 2 years heads up on the MINIs.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:51 AM
smurf
3rd Gear
I test drove a Mini at Big Country Motors in Hartford, CT on Apr 13, and received my car on Jul 6. No markup and not gimmicks. Even got a great trade in on my old car. No complaints here. :smile:

Old 07-10-2002, 10:48 AM
minimojo
2nd Gear
The dealer add-ons and markups are a real shame. They really don't have to do this since the car sells itself. I placed a $1,000 down pay on an Indi Blue/White MCS (the dealer only needed $500). In any case, there were no gimmicks and no add-ons. I was able to order at MSRP and add any options I wanted.

This is the VERY first time my auto buying experience has been pleasant.

If you're in the New Jersey area, try Prestige MINI (No I don't work for them).

Old 07-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
You don't understand.. These additions are to cars that the dealer orders on it's own, and then sells to you, not to your specifications. Thats why some people get cars right away, while others have to wait for months on end until theirs is finished!

Old 07-10-2002, 12:21 PM
C4
Banned
If you want a new MINI with a specific color/equipment choice, you still need to place an order and get in the waiting list. People that have bought new MINIs off the lot are those who willing to make some compromises (Or happened to have found the exact car they wanted) in terms of price, equipment, colors, etc to get the car right away and avoiding getting into a lengthly waiting list.

I think half of the fun of the MINI ownership is to order the car the exact way you want it. This car can be personalized in so many different ways, it is mind boggling.

Good things come to those who wait.

Old 07-10-2002, 07:24 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Obviously then, markups are going UP, not down as the car becomes more well-known and desired. They have already begun playing the MINI movie shorts in movie theaters along with the trailers. I admit I DID pay a small markup and I'm not ashamed of it, but it wasn't even close to what they're demanding currently. You go into this purchase aware, and it's just another choice you make. For some people it's worth a small percentage extra to get what you want NOW instead of waiting until next year. I remember how hard it was to wait just 2 weeks, the thought of having to wait many months would have killed me!

Old 07-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
I'm just glad i've got a dealer which i guess "Doesn't do" markups!

Old 07-10-2002, 08:14 PM
gomini
1st Gear
Hey, I did go to Universal MINI and to Nick Alexander in LA, they all did the same thing. I called East Bay Mini in Pleasanton, CA put a deposit down and was checking with them all the time, and they got one in that I wanted, I rented a car and picked it up next day - no mark-ups, no lo-jacks, just MSRP exactly, not even floor mats (I could buy them myself for $99.00, but their parts dept. was closed on a Sunday), the car was just washed. It is only about 7 hour drive from LA. They are very nice, highly recommend them and commited to selling at MSRP. It was the best car buying experience I've had - ever - was fun all the way around - and - I HAD MY MINI FOR A 1.5 MONTHS NOW - and loving every minute.

That Universal City MINI dealer is really getting a bad rep - I have read a number of negative comments about them already - what a shame for the MIN family!

Old 07-11-2002, 02:15 PM
nikki
1st Gear
> I placed a $1,000 down pay on an Indi Blue/White MCS

Wait a minute! Did you really order the S in Indi Blue? My dealer told me that the S is not available in indi blue. What's the story? Is he, shall we say, misinformed? Or was that a typo?

-- Nikki

Old 07-11-2002, 02:27 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
I heard from my Dealer yesterday that the Indy blue on the S won't be avalible until Dec production now same with the BRG and the Blk. It was Sept builds but it went back again

Old 07-12-2002, 09:02 AM
mixdman
Neutral
>>Well...we did the same thing. That $1000 wax job and floor mat seemed worth not having to wait 6 months for a custom order (we got our Maxine 4 days after our test drive). And since half of the Bay Area delaers had $2000 markups to wait 6 months, $1000 didn't seem so bad for immediate gratification.
>>
>>And while we probably got a car earmarked for a Sac. listee (sorry) we're totally thrilled that we have our Maxine, even though we don't go to car shows, and didn't have the 2 years heads up on the MINIs.
And you are a fool! You could have gone to East Bay BMW and NOT paid the mark-up and got the exact car you wanted....no super long wait. Thanks for doing your part to inspire dealers to gouge us more.

Old 07-12-2002, 03:08 PM
nerdigrrl
1st Gear
>>And you are a fool! You could have gone to East Bay BMW and NOT paid the mark-up
and got the exact car you wanted....no super long wait. Thanks for doing your part to
inspire dealers to gouge us more.

Mixdman,
why must you still be so angry?

Yes, we could have ordered our MINI from East Bay--but the wait was 6 months and seemed very long for us (all the way on the other side of summer). After our test drive at SF MINI (twice the markup of Niello) we became instantly fanatic about getting a MINI. We felt WAY BEHIND the curve since those who were on a list since last year, such as yourself, were still waiting for their cars. So yes, we did support Neillo and their (small for No.Cal) markup--but we couldn't wait until November. With Niello we got a MINI 4 days after deciding to get one--only 2 weeks after first hearing about the car.

While I feel awful for all those who were screwed by Niello's policy change [I'd be pretty PO'd too] , and I am perplexed on their refusal to order even a couple a month to spec, I am totally tickled pink that we have our huge sunroof to enjoy through the whole summer. I've dumped the boat I was driving and am relearning the joy of Sunday drives.

Mixdman,
you've told us many times and in many threads how lousy Niello was to you and the other listees. But they were nice to us. And it sounds like there are many sh*#tier dealers out there. Must you bring down the excitement of those who love their MINIs with your relentless rants? I hope you get your car soon (if not already in hand). Relish in having not bended over like we did. Enjoy in the extra options you now could afford.
RELAX, and motor on!

Old 07-12-2002, 06:18 PM
pkranger63
Neutral
I am with you nerdigrrl, the wait time at east bay was just too long. Mixdman is obviously still upset with Niello, I would be too. I just don't think telling us folks who are thrilled with our new cars the we are "fools" or "paid WAY too much" is the answer. I am also curious how a 6 month wait is not considered a long time yet paying 900 bux over MSRP is paying way too much, obviosouly our values are a little diffrent. The money I save in gas over the next 6 months will more than make up for the 900 dollar "price gouge".

Motor on!!!

Old 07-12-2002, 09:00 PM
deering
2nd Gear
We ordered our Mini on tuesday from Mini Motorwerks they only ask retail. Now we begin our 8-10week wait. Chili red, white roof, chrome, premium, sport, and cold weather packages.profile leather

Old 07-12-2002, 09:06 PM
Chrystee
1st Gear
>>> I placed a $1,000 down pay on an Indi Blue/White MCS
>>
>>Wait a minute! Did you really order the S in Indi Blue? My dealer told me that the S is not available in indi blue. What's the story? Is he, shall we say, misinformed? Or was that a typo?
>>
>>-- Nikki

MOst likely he is getting an 2003 MINI.. They added 3 colors, the metallic black, regular black, and the indi blue..