R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Anyone in New England?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 04:47 PM
duckboy74
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone had dealings with Mini of Peabody, here in MA?

been talking with Ron Viola there, seems like a good crew overall.
anyone have comments regarding service, pricing, etc?

probably going back this weekend to order my Cooper S,
dark silver, sport package, etc...

-Pete

Old 04-10-2002, 02:36 PM
wabitop
Neutral
hey i went to MINI in Peabody. I ordered a Cooper but an automatic one so I am waiting until July he said. they were fine. I dealt with Cameron who while not exactly the most interesting seller, was certainly listening when i told him that I knew exactly what i wanted. all in all it was fine. and no price gouging!

bill

Old 04-11-2002, 04:19 PM
tuxedoj
Neutral
Early on I tried to get on a list for the MINI in Peabody, but they were very discouraging and wanted cash down months in advance. They also told me that I was far down on the list (and this was back in November). I don't know how much of this ended up being true or not. I checked around and ended up with good luck at the Hartford Ct. dealer. There list wasn't that long at the time and they required no deposit until the cars started coming in. I was so surprised to get a call a couple of days before the MINI hit the streets and they told me I could pick one out if I wanted to put down a deposit.

Of course I did have to make a couple of concessions in order to get one of the first MINI's. I took one that did have a few options on it (nothing crazy expensive) and I decided to cash in my chips and learn how to drive a 5 speed instead of waiting till the automatics came out.

I now have a very cool looking Black MINI with a white top that turns heads everywhere I go around the suburbs of Boston. It actually is a little bit unnerving because it causes a scene everywhere I take it. I'm not a 100% pro yet at driving a standard (there is the occasional stall), but I've picked it up pretty quickly and this is definitely the kind of car that demands the manual control.

Old 04-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Fledge
1st Gear
Hey, I put a deposit on an S a few days ago and I talked to Ron, nice guy but you can tell there's a lot of demand from just talking to them. Anyways, I was busy so I didn't have time to get specific details on how the wait goes, or whether certain options would delay delivery etc. Also I have no idea how many people are on the list before me, and I would hate to have to wait another few months because I picked something that's in high demand.

Going back tomorrow to (ahem) ask Ron a few questions and while I'm at it take another look. He did tell me that I'd have to wait till oct-nov. Not sure about the color yet. I'll pass on any info I get. Cheers

Old 04-16-2002, 07:32 AM
Siameez
Neutral
I live in Central Vermont... I'd have to drive (not motor) in my Subaru down to Bean Town to see one of these little bastards...

I'm tired of just "driving"...

I wanna effin' MOTOR!

I wonder how these babies do in the SNOW...

Motor on, you crazy MINI !!!

Old 04-16-2002, 04:12 PM
duckboy74
2nd Gear

Snow tires are a MUST. I already plan to order up some spare rims and a set
of Nokian Hakkapeliittas for my Cooper S (if i get delivery before next spring...)

My guess is that the car will be fine in the snow, as long as you have a vague
clue what you're doing. I'll definitely be up in NH for this winter's Snow & Ice
Rally to give it the real test.

Can't wait to Motor...
-Pete

>>I wonder how these babies do in the SNOW...

Old 04-24-2002, 11:43 AM
Tracker
Neutral
I'm in Boston, and have heard very good things about MINI of Peabody. Mine's ordered through Herb Chambers, and the comments about them have been of the four-letter variety. They're promising MSRP when you order, then tacking on ridiculous non-ordered options (paint insurance??) in order to jack up their take-home. I haven't accepted delivery yet, but I plan to review their add-ons *very* carefully. I'm willing to accept a certain level of bribe to get my car, but I'm not paying jack for "paint insurance."

Old 04-26-2002, 01:25 AM
Siameez
Neutral
nullSaw my FIRST MINI ! ! ! !

It was a red and white one, parked in front of the State House in Montpelier Vermont.

It had a bright yellow parking ticket tucked under the windshield wiper...

I guess the Meter-Maid sure noticed it!!!

I wanna MINI!

(BTW, will the local BMW dealer do service on it, or will I have to take it 3 hrs to the Boston MINI Dealer to get it worked on????)

Old 04-28-2002, 10:54 PM
inbriggs@hotmail.com
Neutral
I bought a loaded cooper S in Peabody. Only $500 down. Hope to get it in October/November timeframe. The dealer in Boston was asking for $1000 down. I only had to put down $500. Poor folks in California sound like they are paying $5000 over MSRP.

I would have bought it in New Hampshire (Being from there) to skip the MA taxes, but there are no dealers North of Peabody.

I showed up without a test drive appointment. The sales rep let us sneak in for a Cooper S test run with the russian guy. We went to the gas station and came back.

I own a BMW 7 series and have driven the newer 3 series too. I wailed on the test car and it went like a bastard. Had it up to 90mph in no time. You have to run it over 4,000 rpm to really appreciate the SC. The traction control worked great. I tried to make it slide on the off ramp but it recovered for me. It seemed a little light in the rear end, but that was to be expected considering the 37/63 weight distribution.

When I go back, I bought a bumblbee Cooper S with all the options. Can't wait to get it. I'm also crusing the aftermarked sites. Hears about 200+ hp mods. My 7 is 240hp stock. Can't imagine a car 1/2 the weight with all that extra HP.

- Spazz

Old 05-17-2006, 06:43 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
While shopping for our Mini

I liven in both Western Mass and Phila PA. I started shopping about 6 wks ago, went to a dealer in Phila and they had 60 on the lot. Very nice, not pushy, took a test drive, but couldn't trade in my co car for what I wanted. Went to New Country in Hartford, CT introduced myself, they had maybe 6 in stock, and told the guy I'd call him. Called him a week later, after unloading my co. car for cash, told him what I wanted...Child Red, S, 6 spd, sport, cold weather, premium...he called me next day and said he found the car on the boat arriving in NJ the next week. Bought it over the phone and drove away about 10 days later. It really wasn't real tough. I want to be a Mini Salesman...no trades, no haggling. What do they do?
I love the car, but couldn't put up with a 2 month wait.

griff

Old 05-18-2006, 02:51 AM
tubwreck
2nd Gear
I am hoping to pick up my new BRG/W MCS at Mini of Peabody next week. So far, they've been a pleasure to deal with. I'm paying MSRP, I put down a $1,000 deposit, and there's been only the most halfhearted attempt to sell add ons (Invisishield and wheel&tire insurance). The MAs that I've dealt with have been very pleasant, and all three of my test drives were walk-ins.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:59 AM
fred3
4th Gear
No gouging...

Originally Posted by duckboy74
anyone had dealings with Mini of Peabody, here in MA?

been talking with Ron Viola there, seems like a good crew overall.
anyone have comments regarding service, pricing, etc?

probably going back this weekend to order my Cooper S,
dark silver, sport package, etc...

-Pete
and not a bad attitude. The only questionable thing was when the M.A.(motoring assistant) asks you to rate them(when you get the phone call) the highest you can. If it were a true rating system they wouldn't have to ask, but would depend on their service to speak for itself.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:17 AM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
MINI of Peabody is fantastic. You'll find many fans of theirs on this board and on MINI2. Personally, I can't say enough good things about them...from the initial test drive and sales experience and service. Oh, and regarding their service department...Gary, Heather & Chris are fantastic and super helpful to their customers. Peabody has hands down the best service department of any car dealership I've ever dealt with.

I have no idea who Ron or Cameron are at MINI of Peabody? They must be new within the last month or so? And whoever said they had Hratch do the test drive...I thought he wasn't allowed to do test drives (or maybe he's only allowed to let the customers drive during the test drive).

Regarding the rating system after sales & service...blame that on BMW for setting up the rating system the way they did. I can't blame someone for asking & explaining how the system works.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:28 AM
usaaus
2nd Gear
My question? Is MoP underwater? Peabody looked like it got pretty wet this week

Old 05-18-2006, 05:30 AM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by usaaus
My question? Is MoP underwater? Peabody looked like it got pretty wet this week
I would doubt it as they are at the top of a hill.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:03 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a Hrach test drive something like 3 years ago. Headed out in a Cooper and he proceeded to spin the tires through first gear and get some spin (more than a chirp) in second.

I think he even tried to show me the "racing line" through some turns as I was driving. :D Something like "don't lift off the throttle mid turn". Maybe that's where this whole track day bug started.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:24 AM
ZaneGrey
1st Gear
Mini of Peabody Rocks!

Chris,Heather,and Gary in service are the absolute best. maybe that's why they're the largest volume dealer in the US.Can't do any better IMHO.By the way, this is my first post (in case you didn't know already).Mine was the 172nd car they sold. 73k. later still a love affair with the dealership.Hope that helps.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:28 AM
NoWin
1st Gear
A friend of mine here in central Mass has bought both his MC's (2002, and traded to his current 2005) from New Country in CT. He's very happy with that dealer, but I also must add he never "car-shopped" with MoP or HCM before he bought..

Old 05-18-2006, 06:36 AM
fred3
4th Gear
You misunderstand...

Originally Posted by RenaultF1
MINI of Peabody is fantastic. You'll find many fans of theirs on this board and on MINI2. Personally, I can't say enough good things about them...from the initial test drive and sales experience and service. Oh, and regarding their service department...Gary, Heather & Chris are fantastic and super helpful to their customers. Peabody has hands down the best service department of any car dealership I've ever dealt with.

I have no idea who Ron or Cameron are at MINI of Peabody? They must be new within the last month or so? And whoever said they had Hratch do the test drive...I thought he wasn't allowed to do test drives (or maybe he's only allowed to let the customers drive during the test drive).

Regarding the rating system after sales & service...blame that on BMW for setting up the rating system the way they did. I can't blame someone for asking & explaining how the system works.
my M.A. asked for the highest rating before it was all said and done. Of course they have to explain it, but they shouldn't ASK for the highest rating. They'll get it IF they earn it.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:37 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MoP rocks, especially compared to Herb Chambers, as far as sales go.

I live in Boston, though, and have had good experiences with the HC service dept, so that's where I take my car for minor stuff like my driver's side door latch cable this morning.

for the resurrection of a super-old thread!!!

Old 05-18-2006, 06:40 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
My '04 Cooper S was ordered through MINI of Peabody. I bought it through Keith, but have been dealing lately with Brig since he lives in the same town I do and takes the car in for any service work. Their after sales support has been top notch. The car has only been back a couple of times for warranty work, but they have always fixed it quickly and the first time and returned the car promptly. Appointments have been easy to get as well. They move a lot of cars and are busy, but seem to have enough staff to make this work. They're just plain great!

Old 05-18-2006, 07:29 AM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
for the resurrection of a super-old thread!!!
LOL...that might explain why I didn't know who Ron or Cameron were. I never noticed the date of the original post...