R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Removal of Vacuum Hose Connector

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 PM
06minirube
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Removal of Vacuum Hose Connector

Thanks for the support.

I need to replace the existing vacuum hose connector in the supercharger. This is the connector for the vacuum line that goes from the supercharger to the PCV valve at the top of the valve cover. It can be seen below. While ECS is backordered and couldn’t find it anywhere else, the part number is the same for the brake servo on Land Rover’s so I’d figure I’d give it a try. The existing one on my 06 MCS is bad. After servicing the blower, I kept getting a “unmetered air after compressor” code and a smoke test revealed the seal beneath the hardline connection to be bad. It had smoke pouring out of it.

if anyone has done this before, would love to hear your lessons learned to remove the existing one.

thank you!

[img]blob:https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/cfad96b1-198e-46c6-9c6a-f3d796ede98e[/img]

Last edited by 06minirube; 09-25-2020 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:28 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
Image not showing for me

The following users liked this post:
06minirube (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 04:31 AM
06minirube
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ssoliman
Image not showing for me
thank you! Updated above.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Just came off backorder now. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-oem-part...lzn100220l~om/

Here is how the LR people do it

​​​​​​​https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...anifold-97502/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:56 PM
06minirube
1st Gear
wow! Great information, but you can’t access the back of connector on the mini like you can shown here.

Do you know if there is a material difference between the two? From pictures and in person they look identical.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning

Last edited by 06minirube; 09-25-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
The parts are the same.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-22-2020, 08:22 AM
06minirube
1st Gear
Replacement of Vacuum Hose Connector

Since I didn’t find much anywhere about replacing the vacuum hose, I thought I would add my notes to this thread to help someone else.

1. Put the car in front end service mode, but do not disconnect/remove the radiator. Just pull it to give you enough space to reach the hose connector.
2. Disconnect the PCV hose so that you can pull up the hard plastic line that connects to the vacuum connector and out of the way. I loosened the left intercooler couplers to be able to pull the line through there for the space I needed.
3. Now for all the fun.
start by making a bit of a plug out of paper towel that you can put inside the hose connector inlet so as to catch any debris that may fall into the inlet.
- Method 1: Find a bolt that is slightly larger than the inner diameter of the connector (after you remove the inner red slip piece. Thread that bolt in to the connector, but be careful not to go to far and hit the supercharger. Once done, using a short pair of pliers and a mini sledge, place the pliers between the head of the bolt and the top of connector and repeatedly hit pliers until you can break loose the top of the connector; essentially breaking the connector into two pieces.
-While this worked great when I tested it on a spare supercharger I had, it did not work on the car.
-Method 2: this is a little bit more brute force, but using a wide flat head screwdriver or chisel and a hammer, attempt to hammer the head of the tool into the plastic without hitting the SC, but going deep enough to go almost through the plastic. You can spin the connector inside of the supercharger to access the other sides. Continue to do this until you can remove the top section.
- You want to remove the plastic to above the section with the reverse-set metal tabs.
4. Once you’ve done that, using small picks and a small screwdriver, bend back the metal tabs and pull out the the ring and related plastic.
5. You should now have a clear hose connector inlet. Clean the hole using some rags and brake clean. At this point you can pull your paper towel plug out. I recommend using a strong vacuum cleaner to suck it out to ensure no debris falls behind it as you do.
6. Install the new one by pushing it into the whole with your fingers. You will feel bottom out when all the way in.
7. You’re not ready for reassembly. Don’t forget to pass the hard hose connector line back underneath the inter cooler and connect it in the bracket, reattach it to PCV and retightened the inter cooler couplers.

I snapped a few photos below to help. Good luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by 06minirube:
ECSTuning (11-23-2020), Onizukachan (08-19-2022), ssoliman (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 11:36 AM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 06minirube
Since I didn’t find much anywhere about replacing the vacuum hose, I thought I would add my notes to this thread to help someone else.

1. Put the car in front end service mode, but do not disconnect/remove the radiator. Just pull it to give you enough space to reach the hose connector.
2. Disconnect the PCV hose so that you can pull up the hard plastic line that connects to the vacuum connector and out of the way. I loosened the left intercooler couplers to be able to pull the line through there for the space I needed.
3. Now for all the fun.
start by making a bit of a plug out of paper towel that you can put inside the hose connector inlet so as to catch any debris that may fall into the inlet.
- Method 1: Find a bolt that is slightly larger than the inner diameter of the connector (after you remove the inner red slip piece. Thread that bolt in to the connector, but be careful not to go to far and hit the supercharger. Once done, using a short pair of pliers and a mini sledge, place the pliers between the head of the bolt and the top of connector and repeatedly hit pliers until you can break loose the top of the connector; essentially breaking the connector into two pieces.
-While this worked great when I tested it on a spare supercharger I had, it did not work on the car.
-Method 2: this is a little bit more brute force, but using a wide flat head screwdriver or chisel and a hammer, attempt to hammer the head of the tool into the plastic without hitting the SC, but going deep enough to go almost through the plastic. You can spin the connector inside of the supercharger to access the other sides. Continue to do this until you can remove the top section.
- You want to remove the plastic to above the section with the reverse-set metal tabs.
4. Once you’ve done that, using small picks and a small screwdriver, bend back the metal tabs and pull out the the ring and related plastic.
5. You should now have a clear hose connector inlet. Clean the hole using some rags and brake clean. At this point you can pull your paper towel plug out. I recommend using a strong vacuum cleaner to suck it out to ensure no debris falls behind it as you do.
6. Install the new one by pushing it into the whole with your fingers. You will feel bottom out when all the way in.
7. You’re not ready for reassembly. Don’t forget to pass the hard hose connector line back underneath the inter cooler and connect it in the bracket, reattach it to PCV and retightened the inter cooler couplers.

I snapped a few photos below to help. Good luck!

nice work, good think to know!

The following 2 users liked this post by ssoliman:
06minirube (11-23-2020), ECSTuning (11-23-2020)